PDA

View Full Version : No animal testing

emsahib
January 10th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Hey does anybody know of companies that don't test on animals? I only know the Body shop, Lush and Superdrugs own brand. Also I was thinking of trying another hair growth product, but I'd want one that didn't test on animals, don't know if they are any.

marzipanthecat
January 10th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Co-op own brands do not test on animals.

looniac
January 10th, 2011, 04:38 AM
It also depends on whether or not you want no animal byproducts as well.

emsahib
January 10th, 2011, 04:46 AM
It also depends on whether or not you want no animal byproducts as well.

I'm a vegetarian, so if it was milk or honey that would be fine, if they was a shampoo that had animals in it (which sounds disguisting) then I wouldn't want that

looniac
January 10th, 2011, 04:54 AM
If you are vegetarian, I would look for no animal ingredients, no animal testing, products. Many oils are derived from animals, and proteins as well.

So, here is a list of brands that are both animal ingredient free without animal testing:

Aubrey Organics
Giovanni
Kissmyface
Desert Essence
Long Lovely Locks
Nature's Gate

LittleOak
January 10th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I am very careful about which products I use regarding animal testing. I have quite a large collection of products that don't test on animals in my bathroom/what I have tried, including:

JASON
Faith in Nature
Mistrys (House of Mistry)
Organix
Aubrey Organics
Green People
Avalon Organics
Honesty Cosmetics

That is all I can think of for now but I'm sure I must have forgotten some, I will probably remember them later! Just to let you know, the Body Shop is now owned by L'Oreal so they do practice animal testing (although they do still advertise Body Shop products in line with its original principles). Subsequently, I choose to avoid them.

Hope this helps :)

emsahib
January 10th, 2011, 05:42 AM
If you are vegetarian, I would look for no animal ingredients, no animal testing, products. Many oils are derived from animals, and proteins as well.

So, here is a list of brands that are both animal ingredient free without animal testing:

Aubrey Organics
Giovanni
Kissmyface
Desert Essence
Long Lovely Locks
Nature's Gate

Thanks for the information. What sort of oils would be from an animal? The only one I've heard of is emu oil

I am very careful about which products I use regarding animal testing. I have quite a large collection of products that don't test on animals in my bathroom/what I have tried, including:

JASON
Faith in Nature
Mistrys (House of Mistry)
Organix
Aubrey Organics
Green People
Avalon Organics
Honesty Cosmetics

That is all I can think of for now but I'm sure I must have forgotten some, I will probably remember them later! Just to let you know, the Body Shop is now owned by L'Oreal so they do practice animal testing (although they do still advertise Body Shop products in line with its original principles). Subsequently, I choose to avoid them.

Hope this helps :)

Really? why do the body shop say they're against animal testing on their website and products then?

Marjolein
January 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM
In the Netherlands there's an organization called Proefdiervrij (translation: free of animal testing), that has assembled a catalogue of brands that do not test on animals. A link to this (online) catalogue can be found here:
http://www.proefdiervrij.nl/cosmeticagids

For approved hair care brands click the word 'haarverzorging' in the field under 'product'.

naereid
January 10th, 2011, 08:08 AM
PETA's list has the option of choosing only hair care products, which is cool: http://www.peta.org/living/beauty-and-personal-care/companies/search.aspx?Product=9

venusje
January 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
not to spoil anything. But I do believe that al those companies who are anti animal testing,
do benefit from animal testing companies.
When patents are at the end of their date, those companies can use the patents.
SO they know which ingrdients they can use cause many of them are already tested on animals many years ago. ;)

Just a small comment of mine, that I believe has a base of thruth.
Don't shoot me now for what I think ^^ :)

But still it is a good thing they do not test on animals;
That is absolutely very positive and it would be better if every company would do that...

Oz
January 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
the cheeper, les popular brands ,, such as supermarkets own ones are less likley to be lested than anything more expensive or classy looking.

Becky Safari
January 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Go to the website caringconsumer.com, although I think it's managed by PETA's website now

hayesa
January 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Another vote for PETA's list- it's pretty thorough. There's also BUAV in the UK, with the famous leaping bunny logo, which is a good sign. Co-op and M&S's products (even household cleaners!) are BUAV approved. :)

Angelica
January 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM
The most cruelty free product you can go for is the ones that carry the white rabbit symbol. This is only awarded to a few companies that meet a certain criteria laid down by the British Union Against Vivisection.

I don't know if you are living in the UK.

But your best bet if you want to go for the ones with the white rabbit symbol products is to do a google search.

Beauty Without Cruelty
Barry M (although I don't know if they just do make-up)
JASON
and
Suma

These are the companies I know all carry the white rabbit symbol.

Incidentally Body Shop is now owned by Loriel. (sorry if I have spelt that wrong) and they are not as cruelty free as you think. They carry some gelatine in their products (or so I have heard) they have been refused the white rabbit symbol.

I know someone on here has tried to put the dampers on the thread, but there are products out there that are as cruelty free as possible.

Tescos are pretty good and Superdrug.

Green People also are worth looking at.

Good luck and I hope you find the product that suits you and your ethics.

Merlin
January 10th, 2011, 12:22 PM
not to spoil anything. But I do believe that al those companies who are anti animal testing,
do benefit from animal testing companies.
When patents are at the end of their date, those companies can use the patents.
SO they know which ingrdients they can use cause many of them are already tested on animals many years ago. ;)

I was going to post something along the same lines; if you're going to do this thoroughly then find out what their stance is on using products which have been animal tested in the past. An awful lot of things have gone through the testing process over the years somewhere or another, so it may well be that even the companies themselves can't acurately answer this one. [When I first wrote that I put 'truthfully', but that sounded as though I was suggesting they might decieve, what I'm trying to get across is that frankly they may not be able to tell you if the products has been tested somewhere or not]

I'd actually argue that, given a choice between "Shampoo A" which does contain known ingredients which have been tested on animals and "Shampoo B" which contains some new compound or other which is going to be tested on animals then the first option is the better choice: after all it's already out there and doesn't require any more testing. I'm opposed to cosmetic animal testing, not because I necessarily think that the results can be achieved by other means but because I think there are more than enough ingredients out there which have been tested into the ground to keep manufacturers (and us, the buying public ever hungry for novelty) happy for years yet.

My stance is that I want my product to not have required any fresh animal testing - if the manufacturer is honest enough to admit that a lot of the ingredients in my shampoo have been tested on animals in other contexts in the past, but that no further testing has happened just to produce this product then I can live with that.

looniac
January 10th, 2011, 01:29 PM
This is a list of animal ingredients, albeit it does include other things besides those in hair care products: http://www.happycow.net/health-animal-ingredients.html

Toadstool
January 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Don't use anything by Procter and Gamble.

princessp
January 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oh yeah I only buy cruelty free:

Clinique
Decleor
Nature's Gate
365 (Whole Foods brand)
Jason
Giovanni
Desert Essence
Gosh there are millions, go to your local coop or natural food store and you'll find a ton more. You have to be careful when you read this statement "finished product not tested on animals". Which basically means we smear poison in dogs' eyes. Disgusting. :mad:

Doxie
January 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM
My personal fav for no animal testing, vegan and eco-friendly hair products is Lush. At first it may seem a bit pricey, since some product are sold by weight, but its totally worth it. One shampoo, bar for around $11, will last you at the least 3 months if not longer. They suds up nicely and as long as you get the right shampoo bar, that's right for you, they won't dry out your hair.

Lush conditioner is a little tricky for me. I go back and forth from their solids to the bottle kinds. I love American Cream ,which comes in a bottle, but my hair gets tried of it quick. The other kind I use is Jungle, which is a solid, but it tends to weigh down my hair and get greesy faster. I try to keep a bit of Jungle in my house anyways because it makes a nice pomade for quick fluff controll on my ends and hairline.

Doxie
January 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention they send online almost anywhere outside the US and to the US. I personally haven't ordered on-line because I work right near a store, but have never heard problems about them.

janeytilllie
April 12th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread

I'm kinda at a loss.

I live in the UK
I'm quite poor and can't afford the expensive products e.g Faith in Nature, Aubrey Organics etc
I also can't find the these products easily.

I need to use cones and sulfates my hair doesn't like sulfate free/cone free

However I want to only use products that aren't animal tested.

I found this website stating UK companies that don't test on animals. (Green Ones not animal tested)
http://nottested.co.uk/Toiletries.html

Just wondering if this website's information is correct.

I have a Superdrug/Morrisons/Tesco's/Boots

If anyone could recommend a cheap resonable priced Sulfate Shampoo/ cone Conditioner I would be extremely grateful :flowers:

PrincessIdril
April 12th, 2012, 05:26 AM
If anyone could recommend a cheap resonable priced Sulfate Shampoo/ cone Conditioner I would be extremely grateful :flowers:

I can't comment on your conditioner questions (I use the cheap Boot essentials one which is cone free.) But for your shampoo question I would suggest you head to Lush.

Their shampoo bars have sulphates in, they cost about £5 each and if you keep them dry between uses they last for an extrememly long time. I've been using one since September and I'm about to replace it with a new one :) I believe they are more cost effective than liquid shampoo.
And it's Lush so they are good for the environment and cruelty free: https://www.lush.co.uk/our-values/campaigns/category/22

pelicano
April 12th, 2012, 05:49 AM
You don't have a Sainsburys? They are BUAV approved.

Vampyria
April 12th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread

I'm kinda at a loss.

I live in the UK
I'm quite poor and can't afford the expensive products e.g Faith in Nature, Aubrey Organics etc
I also can't find the these products easily.

I need to use cones and sulfates my hair doesn't like sulfate free/cone free

However I want to only use products that aren't animal tested.

I found this website stating UK companies that don't test on animals. (Green Ones not animal tested)
http://nottested.co.uk/Toiletries.html

Just wondering if this website's information is correct.

I have a Superdrug/Morrisons/Tesco's/Boots

I would say that this site information is pretty accurate, but I couldn't say for sure because I don't know all of them.

From my experience not a lot of products from cruelty-free brands that I know of contain sulfates. I think L'occitane has some shampoos and conditioners that contain sulfates and cones but in my opinion they are just too expensive for what they offer. And I see that PrincessIdril already mentioned Lush. Unfortunately I don't know any others, because cones and sulfates do nothing good to my hair so I don't use it.

I find it really annoying that some brands proclaim how natural they are, even if they use sulfates, parabens, mineral oil and such, just so they can sell their products by unreasonably high price. So how can you know that they don't lie about animal testing as well.

I use or used:

Weleda (toothpaste)
Lavera (best shampoo ever :inlove: )
Sanctum (I like their deodorant and I bought a conditioner once but didn't last long so I find it a bit to expensive)
Aubrey organics (conditioner: not cheap but it lasts a really long time and I can't live without it, while shampoos are a disaster for my hair)
Lily Lolo (mineral foundation)
Sante (lipsticks, eyeliner, face cream)
100% Pure (I use mascara, but didn't like shower gel, to expensive for me to try anything else)
Alverde (really cheap but they started to put a lot of alcohol in their products, though some shampoos are still alright)
Natuderm (face cream)

Amber_Maiden
April 12th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Snobgirls does not test on animals. I use them.

Btw- Dove does test on animals.

melusine963
April 12th, 2012, 02:40 PM
If you're in the UK, try the Naked range from Boots. I love their shampoos. They are cone and sulphate free, and haven't been tested on animals. I'm not sure if they have any specific growth stuff, but the Boots website lists all their products so you can check. Not every branch carries them, though, and even those that do don't sell all the products.

janeytilllie
April 13th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I can't comment on your conditioner questions (I use the cheap Boot essentials one which is cone free.) But for your shampoo question I would suggest you head to Lush.

Their shampoo bars have sulphates in, they cost about £5 each and if you keep them dry between uses they last for an extrememly long time. I've been using one since September and I'm about to replace it with a new one :) I believe they are more cost effective than liquid shampoo.
And it's Lush so they are good for the environment and cruelty free: https://www.lush.co.uk/our-values/campaigns/category/22

Thank you for suggestion :) however I can't use shampoo bars last time I used them they made my hair really dry :(
Thank you for the suggestion though :)

janeytilllie
April 13th, 2012, 02:00 AM
You don't have a Sainsburys? They are BUAV approved.

I don't have Sainsbury in my town the nearest one is over 4 hours away on a bus :(
Thanks for the suggestion though :)

janeytilllie
April 13th, 2012, 02:08 AM
I would say that this site information is pretty accurate, but I couldn't say for sure because I don't know all of them.

From my experience not a lot of products from cruelty-free brands that I know of contain sulfates. I think L'occitane has some shampoos and conditioners that contain sulfates and cones but in my opinion they are just too expensive for what they offer. And I see that PrincessIdril already mentioned Lush. Unfortunately I don't know any others, because cones and sulfates do nothing good to my hair so I don't use it.

I find it really annoying that some brands proclaim how natural they are, even if they use sulfates, parabens, mineral oil and such, just so they can sell their products by unreasonably high price. So how can you know that they don't lie about animal testing as well.

I use or used:

Weleda (toothpaste)
Lavera (best shampoo ever :inlove: )
Sanctum (I like their deodorant and I bought a conditioner once but didn't last long so I find it a bit to expensive)
Aubrey organics (conditioner: not cheap but it lasts a really long time and I can't live without it, while shampoos are a disaster for my hair)
Lily Lolo (mineral foundation)
Sante (lipsticks, eyeliner, face cream)
100% Pure (I use mascara, but didn't like shower gel, to expensive for me to try anything else)
Alverde (really cheap but they started to put a lot of alcohol in their products, though some shampoos are still alright)
Natuderm (face cream)

Thank you for the list and suggestions :flower:

sell their products by unreasonably high price

I feel like this strongly. I find if they sell their product as a natural/cruely free one they rise the price. :( It's very difficult during this recession.

I'm extremely poor and can't afford expensive brands.

I'm going to go by that website and by only Morrisons own brands and Superdrugs own brand shampoos and conditioners. I think Superdrug do their own Pantene version which would be good :)

I do wish that animal testing was full out banned on all cosmentics.

Thanks for the help :)

janeytilllie
April 13th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Snobgirls does not test on animals. I use them.

Btw- Dove does test on animals.

Thanks for the suggestion :) However Snobgirls is too much for me to afford and I need sulfates and cones :(

It's really horrible that most big beauty companies test on animals and are the ones that are cheap and widely available :(

However after lots of research my Supermaket Morrisons and Superdrug own brand shampoos/conditioners are cruely free and cheap :)

Thanks for suggestion again :)

janeytilllie
April 13th, 2012, 02:21 AM
If you're in the UK, try the Naked range from Boots. I love their shampoos. They are cone and sulphate free, and haven't been tested on animals. I'm not sure if they have any specific growth stuff, but the Boots website lists all their products so you can check. Not every branch carries them, though, and even those that do don't sell all the products.

My little Boots carries only some of them which are not suited to my hair type I think we only have the blonde one, dry one and sensitve one.

I use to use the sensitive shampoo and my scalp wasn't happy with it.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

DreadfulWoman
April 13th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I feel like this strongly. I find if they sell their product as a natural/cruely free one they rise the price. :( It's very difficult during this recession.

I'm extremely poor and can't afford expensive brands.

I'm going to go by that website and by only Morrisons own brands and Superdrugs own brand shampoos and conditioners. I think Superdrug do their own Pantene version which would be good :)

I do wish that animal testing was full out banned on all cosmentics.

Thanks for the help :)

This is my problem as well. I have been vegan for 11 years, but sadly, if I made animal testing the make or break issue of my veganism I would not be able to afford it. It was easier with dreadlocks, because I could wash them with pretty much whatever and they'd turn out about the same, but now I found myself searching for products that work with my hair AND are free of animal products AND are not tested on animals AND that I can afford. It's enough to make your head swim, and to be perfectly honest I still have not found a solution that I'm perfectly happy with.

I guess mainly I just try to avoid buying anything from companies that seem to have little or no interest in bringing animal testing to an end (Proctor&Gamble and Estee Lauder come to mind). And as far as those more expensive cruelty free brands, I'm honestly as mad at them as I am at any company. Like if they're so committed to preventing animal cruelty, why not price their products so that everyone can afford them, not just an elite few. There's really no reason that I can see for cruelty free products to be more expensive than products that are tested on animals.

Sorry for the rant, I tend to think about this stuff quite a bit.

janeytilllie
April 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM
This is my problem as well. I have been vegan for 11 years, but sadly, if I made animal testing the make or break issue of my veganism I would not be able to afford it. It was easier with dreadlocks, because I could wash them with pretty much whatever and they'd turn out about the same, but now I found myself searching for products that work with my hair AND are free of animal products AND are not tested on animals AND that I can afford. It's enough to make your head swim, and to be perfectly honest I still have not found a solution that I'm perfectly happy with.

I guess mainly I just try to avoid buying anything from companies that seem to have little or no interest in bringing animal testing to end (Proctor&Gamble and Estee Lauder come to mind). And as far as those more expensive cruelty free brands, I'm honestly as mad at them as I am at any company. Like if they're so committed to preventing animal cruelty, why not price their products so that everyone can afford them, not just an elite few. There's really no reason that I can see for cruelty free products to be more expensive than products that are tested on animals.

Sorry for the rant, I tend to think about this stuff quite a bit.

I completely agree with everything you say :agree: