PDA

View Full Version : good styles for hats?

Oz
January 10th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Hey all.

I have a really tiny head and look stupid with a hat on if my hair cant be seen.

I need some styles that can be worn with a hat, any kind of hat.

so far, all I have is down, curley, and twin braids that work.

myria
January 10th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Not sure really. I have 'tiny head syndrome' too but I usually compensate by wearing a massive tam and dangly earrings. :)
For other hats I tend to wear my hair in a braided bun - less volume under it and pull out a couple of wispy bits (they won't grow longer than shoulder length for some reason :confused:) at my nape and behind my ears

Hile
January 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I feel like I look stupid in hats, too. But I think it's because of my big cheeks rather than the size of my head:rolleyes: My favourite do with a hat is a as-big-as-possible side bun as it doesn't get caught under my bag strap but can still be seen from the front.

Oz
January 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM
a side bun? ooo you will have to show me what that looks like.. welcome to LHC. its great here.

podo
January 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I like my hats and am told I look good in them, but like the OP, I need some styles. Even a low bun causes the hat to sit high.

Calaelen
January 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I wear MANY styles of hats from knitted types to vintage hats from the 1920s onward. If I am wearing a knitted hat, I usually wear my hair down either straight or in curls, or with double braids.

For my more structured vintage hats, and cloche styles, I usually do two VERY low Celtic knot buns which I pin together to look like one longer horizontal bun. Side buns and chignon styles work well too depending on how the hat is supposed to sit.

Finoriel
January 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Braids always work and there are lots of different braiding techniques you can try out. Not only regular Englishbraids, there's also ropebraids, boxbraids, the 3D-braid or or or :D just to name a few.
And low buns work sometimes, depends on which kind of hat. I like wide buns for that purpose because they push up the hat less than round buns would (Chinese-bun, Japanese-bun or pinless-braided-bun).
When it's a cap with a hole I thread the hair through it and wear pretty much any bun I want. You just can't remove the cap then... Yes I tried. Once. Ow. :doh: :lol:

Fiordiligi
January 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I saw this (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/the-flip-and-twist/) recently and thought it quite nice (scroll down to the bottom for photo with hat on). Only for long, long hair though!

Annalouise
January 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I saw this (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/the-flip-and-twist/) recently and thought it quite nice (scroll down to the bottom for photo with hat on). Only for long, long hair though!

That is lovely! The hat and the hair.:) I want that hat...lol

Oz
January 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
thanks,, thats cool. and ive found lots of other lovley styles on that website,, our hair is pretty simumlar

SheaLynne
January 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I'm always looking for more ideas for updos with hats, too. I wear hats now for headcovering at church worship services, so I'm struggling to keep my updo challenge going without always having a braid for those days!

I have a few pictures in my album of my updos with dressy hats. One is a low sock bun and another is a diagonal french braid then bunned low. I thought they turned out nice. :)

Hile
January 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM
a side bun? ooo you will have to show me what that looks like.. welcome to LHC. its great here.

Thanks for the welcome and it really is great here:D I planned to take a nice pic outside, but the weather is horrible so here you have: me, my side bun and my kitchen wall
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l502/hile1/IMG_0264-1.jpg

There are great ideas in this thread, I think I'll try to learn a 4-strand box braid next.

podo
January 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
. Not only regular Englishbraids, there's also ropebraids, boxbraids, the 3D-braid or or or :D just to name a few.

What is a 3D Braid? I don't think I'm familiar with that one.