PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKING info I found about how to look younger...

KiwiLiz
June 7th, 2008, 04:05 AM
So I was searching through a popular how to website (not sure if I can say the name or link it, so I just won't) and I found an article titled "How to look younger (For women, weight loss not required)"... and even though I'm 20 and look like I'm 15, I had a look any way, I was utterly gobsmacked by the first tip which read,
"Let your hair grow out. Or if it's long, wear it down.
Stop getting the Martha Stewart bobs, boy haircuts, or putting it up in a tight bun. Longer, loose hair is youthful and softens the face."

I guess you could argue that it's just as bad as all the other magazines and such that tell you should cut your hair, "long hair makes you look younger" is still a generalisation that won't apply to every one... but it's refreshing all the same isn't it? I'm so used to hearing about how when I turn 30 I'll cut my hair, blah, blah.

Saranne772
June 7th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Thats a very unusual piece of advice to be in a magazine or whatever

Riot Crrl
June 7th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Bwah! I totally thought it was going to be that you saw a magazine article saying "Cut your hair chin length or shorter! It defies gravity!"

Wavelength
June 7th, 2008, 05:10 AM
More proof that advice in women's magazines is completely arbitrary. Next they'll be telling us that wearing a stuffed marmoset on your head is the best way to look younger. :rolleyes:

Lamb
June 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM
"Fancy that..." :rolleyes:

MemSahib
June 7th, 2008, 05:20 AM
You don't like my marmoset?

FrannyG
June 7th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Well, I agree that it's just another generalization. I guess the magazine writers need to come up with new ideas every so often just to shake things up a little.

I won't argue with it though. :)

Speedbump
June 7th, 2008, 06:34 AM
More proof that advice in women's magazines is completely arbitrary. Next they'll be telling us that wearing a stuffed marmoset on your head is the best way to look younger. :rolleyes:
Expression progression :disbelief :lol: :misskim:

But it's so, so true. They'll be telling us all to shave half our heads next week. "But it's the THING now!" :rolleyes:

CurlyOne
June 7th, 2008, 07:15 AM
That's odd. I wish they could just make up their minds about that stuff, but it's still nice to see.

rhubarbarin
June 7th, 2008, 07:24 AM

LOL MemSahib!

At least this one has more truth to it than a lot of 'beauty' advice. I've often mistaken an older woman with longer hair for a young girl out of the corner of my eye.. long hair over 30 or 40 is definately the exception around here.

blue_nant
June 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM
... Next they'll be telling us that wearing a stuffed marmoset on your head is the best way to look younger. :rolleyes:

Imagine all the millionaires' wives' economic impact on the population of marmosets! :rolleyes:

florenonite
June 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I think this makes it pretty apparent that they just pull their advice out of their rear-ends, but all the same I do think that it's right that long hair makes you look younger. When I had shoulder-length hair and a fringe I looked older than I do now with almost-BSL hair and no fringe (of course, I still look about 16 and my friend and I got mistaken for part of a group of grade 8 students at an art gallery the other day, though she's 20).

bunnii
June 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
yay someone saying hurrah for long hair :D

Peggy E.
June 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Well, I agree that it's just another generalization. I guess the magazine writers need to come up with new ideas every so often just to shake things up a little.

I won't argue with it though. :)

The magazine writers are pushing the products of their advertisers in order to KEEP their advertisers - that's what generates their income.

So, it sort of makes sense, when you consider the number of products coming out geared to long hair. Got to get people to grow their hair long in order to use the products!

What's too bad is that there's not an understanding amongst us all, that bows to the fact that we have a modicum of intelligence, are realists, and simply helps us to look our best at our age - NOT younger; NOT older, but to love the age we're at and make it great!

I was 20 already, I don't want to do that again. I'm 56 and there's nothing wrong with being 56. Next year I'll be 57, God willing, and that will be okay with me, too!

It just seems to be a shame, as short as our time on this madly swirling planet is, anyway, that we have to spend it trying to be someone we're not instead of loving the someone we are....

nomadhome
June 7th, 2008, 08:54 AM
wavelength, the stuffed marmoset on my head does make me look younger! That's why people think I am a college student, even though I am edging toward 30.

kate46
June 7th, 2008, 09:28 AM
The magazine writers are pushing the products of their advertisers in order to KEEP their advertisers - that's what generates their income.

So, it sort of makes sense, when you consider the number of products coming out geared to long hair. Got to get people to grow their hair long in order to use the products!

What's too bad is that there's not an understanding amongst us all, that bows to the fact that we have a modicum of intelligence, are realists, and simply helps us to look our best at our age - NOT younger; NOT older, but to love the age we're at and make it great!

I was 20 already, I don't want to do that again. I'm 56 and there's nothing wrong with being 56. Next year I'll be 57, God willing, and that will be okay with me, too!

It just seems to be a shame, as short as our time on this madly swirling planet is, anyway, that we have to spend it trying to be someone we're not instead of loving the someone we are....

Peggy I couldn't agree with you more, unfortunately it seems to me that it's not untill people reach our mature age that they realise it is actually ok to be the age you are. ( I am generalising of course).

Unzadi
June 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Personally, I prefer a live marmoset -- youthful exhuberance and all that. Sure, he does like to take my hairsticks on occasion and do a drum solo on my head, but that's the price we pay for beauty, right?

Calista
June 7th, 2008, 09:52 AM
What I don´t understand is why I should look younger. What´s the point? I want to look my age - I worked hard enough to get there, didn´t I? ;)

ETA: Oops, I´m sorry, I just saw Peggy E. already addressed this issue. I should read more carefully! Anyway, I totally agree with you, Peggy E.!

Wind Dragon
June 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Yup, that is all. :flowers:

Except for an awwww! moment. I had to go look up marmosets, not remembering what they are, and the first thing I hit on was a picture of pygmy babies, here (http://spaceandtime.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/marmoset.jpg).

Okay, all together now. :gabigrin:

physicschick
June 7th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Except for an awwww! moment. I had to go look up marmosets, not remembering what they are, and the first thing I hit on was a picture of pygmy babies, here (http://spaceandtime.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/marmoset.jpg).

They are so cute!

P.S. Can't you imagine one of those as a hairstick topper? :rollin:

vidgrl007
June 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Awww,ty wind dragon the marmosets were cute.My ds asked me the other day why in the world do I want to grow my hair out.She told me I should get a stacked swing bob like hers and I look soo much younger with short hair.I told her 'I dont want to look like every body else".I was so proud of myself.I let her talk me into short hair 9 yrs ago:mad: and totally bought the I'm to old for long hair at25.Now at 34 and with you guys on my side,who could go wrong:cheese:. Btw txs for the article.

redbark
June 7th, 2008, 11:28 AM
When I read the title about "shocking info on how to look younger" I sauntered in expecting to see something about Elk hormone cream :scared: :wink:

Wind Dragon
June 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM
P.S. Can't you imagine one of those as a hairstick topper? :rollin:

Why yes, I can. :face: Come to think of it, I do believe a marmoset on my head would make me look younger, even in a bun, because I'd spend so much time grinning.

Uh, yeah. Either that, or demented. :silly:

Flaxen
June 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Personally, I prefer a live marmoset -- youthful exhuberance and all that. Sure, he does like to take my hairsticks on occasion and do a drum solo on my head, but that's the price we pay for beauty, right?

:spitting:

And it's also the perfect response to people who dislike long hair because it just "hangs there." Now it has an accompanist! :rollin:

Forever_Sophie
June 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I think, up until a certain age, it does make a woman look younger. I'd love a bob (my hair's heavy, I'm hot....) but, from experience, know it ages me and working in theatre, that's not good. A Broadway actress is on a recent video saying she's gotten more work once she grew it out (she was having it cut for a role in South Pacific).

Tangles
June 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Very long hair worn out does make you look younger but only if its blow dried, wavy with volume, or pulled half back. Limp long hair is ageing. It's all in how you wear it IMO.

When I turn 45 or so, I'll probably stop wearing my hair (very) long and keep it about APL, but we'll see.

froglet
June 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Dang, you beat me to it, I was so set to say it!

:D

MemSahib
June 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Sorry. :D

Teazel
June 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
You guys are a riot. :D

And the marmosets are amazing! So tiny! The world is an amazing place....

And it's cheering to read that opinion about long hair being youthful - it makes a change from the usual crap passed off as "advice" - but I think Tangles has a good point: in the end, it's how you wear it. A marmoset-induced grin is a great place to start. :D

Wavelength
June 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Yes! Live marmosets as hairstick toppers FTW!

Quick, someone write to a magazine! :lol:

MotherConfessor
June 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Everybody has different features, some women will age with a bob and some will look younger, its all about going with what works best for your features and feeling good about it. Nothing is a better youthesizer than self confidence.

And a marmoset. You rock that primate baby!! :cheese::cheese:

MotherConfessor
June 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
by the way, i'm a totally looking for tiny marmoset stuffed animals to put on a pair of blank hair sticks :eyebrows:. I'll post them for you when im done :)

paper
June 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Wow, thats great to hear that was in a magazine. All these years I have always heard how women should cut their hair after a certain age. Women should be able to wear their hair long or short and not feel that they have to wear it the way society expects them too. But, still it is nice to hear for a change that women look younger with long hair.

truepeacenik
June 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry, but I called the International Marmoset Protection Agency, and they said only marmosets raised to eat cheese will help in looking younger.
they also appear to be allergic to hairstix.

Kiraela
June 8th, 2008, 05:42 PM
you know, i've noticed that. I'm 20, and when I wear my hair up, braided, bunned, etc, I look about 18. When I wear my hair DOWN... I've got the '15 and skipping school' look, for whatever reason. Even in summer. When there is no school.

Not only does hair down make you look younger, it makes you look mischievious, too! Which, of course, would only be exacerbated by tiny baby marmosets playing in my hair.

CountessDeJager
June 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Sorry, but I called the International Marmoset Protection Agency, and they said only marmosets raised to eat cheese will help in looking younger.

you know, i've noticed that.

You know, seeing Kiraela's post follow truepeacenik's post I first wondered how she had the experience of learning marmosets are allergic to hairsticks. People at LHC have such varied lives little surprises me here anymore. :p

I had to go look up marmosets, not remembering what they are, and the first thing I hit on was a picture of pygmy babies, here (http://spaceandtime.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/marmoset.jpg).

Wow those fingers do look youthful. I was originally skeptical of the sage advice from our Big Chief Willy but those marmosets really work!

Wind Dragon
June 9th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Okay Princess, you're obviously up way past your bedtime and getting goofy. No wait, sorry, I guess that's me.

Nighty-nite. :gabigrin:

Starr
June 9th, 2008, 02:35 AM

That's why they're much better suited to wear with forks or ficarres. . . you don't have to bother with the pesky rash. Hives on a baby marmosets butt are no good for anyone.;)

Unzadi
June 9th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Very true, and the marmosets raised to eat cheese also have the added ability to produce one heckuva nontraditional conditioning treatment. Or one can throw it at anyone approaching with scissors.

Elbereth
June 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I fail to understand, why is everything in beauty care geared towards looking younger after you pass 25. How come magazines' conceptions of beauty hinge on just that one factor: age?
Whatever makes a person happy will make her look the best she can be...and this is true of any age.

I'm pretty sure marmosets work though- who wouldn't be happier with a marmoset or two on her head?

willowcandra
June 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I better keep my hair up then or noone will ever treat me like an adult. A kid at ballet asked if I had my sister with me. (dd5 who was in the bathroom.) And at the park yesterday my dd said i was her mum and the girl gave her a funny look and asked her if that was really true ha ha.

I have had nasty comments from people about being a teenage mum too. (I was 22 when i had dd who is 5 now.)

must be genetic. I used to get annoyed when people asked if my dad was my boyfriend! argh!!!!

But fantastic article I really do think long hair looks youthful often, even if the hair is silver.
But I think people often mistake youthful with beautiful. You can look your age but smile lots and be pretty and people won't see anything negative in your age. even old ladies with very wrinkled faces look young to me when they smile.:D
I don't think long hair equals youthful I just think its beautiful.

LadyMoon11
June 9th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Very true, and the marmosets raised to eat cheese also have the added ability to produce one heckuva nontraditional conditioning treatment. Or one can throw it at anyone approaching with scissors.

:spitting::laugh::rollin:
That's a riot!

Wind Dragon
June 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I fail to understand, why is everything in beauty care geared towards looking younger after you pass 25. How come magazines' conceptions of beauty hinge on just that one factor: age?

Makes it easier to sell stuff? Ayup, and we internalize it so well. In all fairness, I don't think the whole thing can be blamed on the media. I suspect there are pretty simple psycho-social reasons behind the thinking that would be there even if the media didn't play its role in reinforcing them to the exclusion of everything else. Vicious circle there, and all that. Right after I cut my hair too short, I had given up on getting it to stay up one day at work. A co-worker (who I don't think had ever seen it down before) complimented me on it and, when I told her I couldn't wait for it to grow back out enough to keep it all pulled back again, argued with me that "Noooo, you should always wear it down; it makes you look at least ten years younger!"

She's a very sweet young woman and means well, and I didn't have time to have that conversation with her. :rolleyes:

Whatever makes a person happy will make her look the best she can be...and this is true of any age.

Exactly. Down, up, short, long, hidden, bald, it really doesn't matter, at least not enough to generalize about it. Me, I think I probably do look younger these days with my hair down than up. And when I cut it into a pixie some thirteen or fourteen years ago, I think I looked younger in it than I had with my long hair "just hanging there." Seriously, it has so little to do with just hair, and none of it is univeral except for what Elbereth said just there.

Even old ladies with very wrinkled faces look young to me when they smile.:D
I don't think long hair equals youthful I just think its beautiful.

And there you go.

I had to chew on that for a second, and then I choked on my tea from laughing. Alrighty then, I'll come back when I'm more awake. :p

Kiraela
June 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Willowcandra: My problem is the opposite. Strangers who see us seem to think DBF is my father. :/ I mean, there's a 14 year age gap, and I look young for my age, but it's still darn creepy.

Wavelength
June 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Wow those fingers do look youthful. I was originally skeptical of the sage advice from our Big Chief Willy but those marmosets really work!

:lol: :rollin: :wigtongue:misskim:

I'm going to have to change my title to Big Chief Marmoset, aren't I...?

kwaniesiam
June 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM
:lol: :rollin: :wigtongue:misskim:

I'm going to have to change my title to Big Chief Marmoset, aren't I...?

I dunno, Marmosets are awfully tiny... :P

These articles are strange and never can make up their minds. I see an awful lot of BSL hair around here, of course it's been dyed and flat ironed limp, but still, its not short.

invisiblebabe
June 10th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I want a marmoset!!

dukkelisa
June 10th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Bear in the hair would be nice.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/dukkelisa/fbl4ix.jpg

Kayleena
June 13th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi, everyone! :) Thanks, KiwiLiz, for mentioning the web article. With the info you gave I was able to find it. I'm so glad someone in the fashion world is saying something positive about long hair! I guess it's the influence of older celebrities who have proved that they can look great with long hair. Others have mentioned that the new long hair care products could be a factor, too. I've never been able to understand why the way a person wears his or her hair is related to image so much, anyway; a hairstyle is not doing something bad to someone else. :twocents: I also agree with those of you who said that self-confidence & doing what makes one happy will make one look great at any age. Good day to all! :)

naturechild
June 13th, 2008, 01:28 PM
My great g-ma had breads wrapped around her head and I thought she was the most beautiful women I had ever seen she was 93. Maybe their is a confusion between beautiful and young looking. I do think short hair makes you look older, simply because we have been told to cut our hair short to look younger and so everyone did it, NOW it is a OLD thing. i/e everyone trying to look younger and think they have to look younger have cut their hair.

I do think a marmoset whould take years off your look!
does anyone remember "Lady Lovelylocks and the Pixie's" I think the pixies had another name too. It was a book I used to read my children, their was also a girl named "Mistress Raven Waves" she was the villian. "Shining Glory" was a man with long gray flowing hair He was a Merlin type. It was great!
anyway they all had little colored pixies living in their hair.