PDA

View Full Version : Longing for lost shine and thickness of younger days!!!

longhairkitten
January 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hello fellow long hair lovers, for sometime now I've been noticing that my hair has really thinned out, I thought I was really upset about losing length due to an unfortunate trip to the wrong hairdresser, but I'm now realizing it's the thickness of my hair that I miss. I think the length wouldn't be such a problem if I still had the same volume of hair that I had about a year ago. I suspect a thyroid condition mixed in with a huge amount of stress from a relationship I've just ended. So to make a long story short, I'm treating the thyroid with natural supplements , I'm about to start doing henna treatments on my hair again along with regular essential oil scalp treatments. I just need to hear from other people that have perhaps dealt with this problem that it is possible to regain your former hair glory! I want to think positive, because it's such a huge part in any treatment program.
Thank you

physicschick
January 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
No thyroid problems, but I had a lot of hair loss over the course of a couple years. My dermatologist said it was probably due to stress. He told me to start taking a biotin supplement, and I've done also some things to reduce the work stress. My hair seems to be growing back in thicker again. There's a thicker portion at the top of my braid that's been gradually moving downward.

You mention henna treatments. That should be great for shine, if you don't mind the color.

silverjen
January 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM
If you really have a thyroid problem it's extremely important to get it treated by a medical doctor. Natural supplements won't replace the thyroid hormones that your body needs. The side effects can be serious, so don't try to treat yourself. T3 is like your body's rheostat, it controls your metabolism, which in turn affects nearly everything else.

Please understand, I do have a thyroid condition, and have done my research. A simple blood test is all that's needed for diagnosis, and the medication is quite cheap. So please see your doctor!