PDA

View Full Version : Biotin recommendations?

helwa
January 9th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I know there's probably a thread somewhere around here discussing all of this but I didn't manage to find the answers I was looking for when I searched for it so I figured I'd start a new one. :blushing:

I'm looking into ordering some biotin from iherb.com, but there are so many different brands! Is there anyone who could recommend something or is it alright to just randomly get the cheapest one? Also, did anyone have any bad experiences with a certain brand and do you think it would cause problems to switch between them? I've only found the 1000 mcg from Solgar here in Sweden, I'm thinking about ordering 5000 mcg ones online and then getting these so that I can start out taking a lower dose and then increasing it as I "get used to it". :)

I'm also considering whether I should get some zink while I'm at it, since I heard a lot of people combine biotin with zink to avoid possible side effects. If anyone has more information on that please let me know. I never tried taking biotin before and I'm a tad freaked out by hearing all of these stories about terrible break outs. Very excited to get started though! :D

shikara
January 9th, 2011, 02:26 PM
You've probably already seen that (at least right now), there is a thread - two, I think - on the first and second pages of the Mane Forum. I think the general consensus (not necessarily the full one) is that it does not really make hair grow faster but strengthens and maybe thickens new hair. That is not to say though that a person's hair is not necessarily growing at the pace it is meant to with diet, exercise etc until a person has integrated everything necessary for a well fueled body, at which time their hair can grow at the rate it was meant to. Biotin is contained in many, many foods though. I am not sure how much the body will retain before it just gets rid of the rest through 'bodily functions'. I don't take the supplement myself.