PDA

View Full Version : Megarexia! Ever heard of this?

linnepinne
January 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I just heard a really funny hair term whilst listening to the radio: Megarexia! It means that you are obsessed with big hair - It can never be too big! And you do what ever it takes to get that huge fluff, and you are of course blind to wether it suits you or not :D

I definately suffer from this! Or I used to any way. I hate when my hair looks thin and lank. I would loooove to have curly hair, so I could have HUGE hair without destroying it. I used to tease my hair every day and wear these insane hairdos. All for the love of fluff!

Now my big hair days are over and I'm doing my best to achieve glorious, healthy, ridiculuosly long hair! (I acctually think i'm replacing my megarexia with lengthorexia instead, much healthier in my book anyway). :cheese:

leoninnu
January 9th, 2011, 04:29 AM
This reminds of a TV show I once saw where they took hair stylists and put them working on a very different surroundings. There was this one episode where a hair dresser from I-don't-know-where was placed in a hair salon in Texas and she had to do the hair for a girl who was going to participare in a beauty pagent. The hair dresser tried to do a style that she thought was beautiful and approriate for the competion and everyone around just kept sayin "Bigger! It needs to be bigger!" :D

Merkaba
January 9th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Yeah, those beauty pageants in Texas are a great example of this! They even do the hair big on the toddlers lol.

Aerith85
January 9th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I totally relate to this but like you Ive got Lenthrexia too lol x

MsBubbles
January 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I saw somebody in the supermarket yesterday here in Georgia with this affliction. Except hers looked more like Annette Bening's (http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/annette-bening/annette-bening-20040421-583.jpg) in American Beauty.

Clarisse
January 9th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I think I suffer from it too. Just a little. I like how big hair looks - but of course it needs to be healthy and thick too :P Pouffy dry teased 80’s cobweb looks... bad.

jaine
January 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I think I have the opposite affliction...my hair in its natural state is very big and I look for ways to make it more compact.

Fethenwen
January 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Yeah, those beauty pageants in Texas are a great example of this! They even do the hair big on the toddlers lol.
I can totally imagine :p

---

Hah, when I think of big hair, she often comes first to my mind:
http://wickedtwins.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/silvia.jpg

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm far from megarexic, but I think I might be lengtherexic instead :)

squintinschool
January 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I think I have the opposite affliction...my hair in its natural state is very big and I look for ways to make it more compact.
Same here! I'm all for decreasing the poof. Whenever I see a style that involves teasing, I just can't comprehend why someone would do that. And often wish my hair was thinner. I guess we have minarexia then. :p

MissManda
January 9th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I have relatives who suffer from this condition... Unfortunately, it's somewhat contagious, so I had it for a while. It'll still pop up every once in a while, but luckily I suppress the urge to buy mousse or hairspray.

Katurday
January 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hmm. I'm not a fan of the name as someone who dealt with the ED. Don't want be a party pooper, or anything, but surely we can come up with a better one.

leoninnu
January 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM

I have something similar. I would really prefer my hair curly but since it's straight and there's nothing I can do to change the natural orded of things (without damage) I would like it to be very straight. Instead it has volume. And I have fine hair! I'm not supposed to have volume! It's supposed to be flat and limp, everyone says so :D

Hmm. I'm not a fan of the name as someone who dealt with the ED. Don't want be a party pooper, or anything, but surely we can come up with a better one.

Hmm, that's a good point. And mega doesn't really refer to big hair either when we're at it. Maybe pompaphiliac or pompadouphiliac, after Madame Pompadour?

ddiana1979
January 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM
It's very common in the Deep South of the US. "The higher the hair, the closer to God." ;)

CurlySoleil
January 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Haha! Never heard this term!
My hair is naturally big since it grows out first before it will drop down. It's very versatile, so I can wear it shrunken or I can put it in braids, then take them out for a huge awesome more-wavy-than-curly style. Maybe I do have megarexia! I love that my hair is naturally voluminous and I can't wait until I get more length so that it can just be obnoxiously big. Don't worry, I would be sure to "tame" it when I go to movie theaters so my hair doesn't block anyone's view. :)

Loviatar
January 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Really seconding this, please. I loathe seeing threads pop up with something-orexia or something-ulimia in the titles. It makes me very angry, I'm afraid. Sorry.

stefafra
January 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Never.
When you wrote the term I thought it was what body-builders get when they want to get bigger and bigger and they never stop exercising, take illegal drugs adn hormones, eat strange protein concoctions and in general spoil their health to look like a huge mass of fake meat.

RadiantNeedle
January 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Yup, Megarexia is a body dysmorphic disorder where people want to pack on an enormous amount of muscle bulk. Also called Bigarexia, it's effected a few people I've known and is extremely dangerous, just like Anorexia and Bulemia. It can tie in heavily with obsessive compulsive behaviour and result in serious bodily harm, particularly regarding anabolic steroid use.

That being said, I know that there's a lot of people abusing the hair stray and damaging their hair with back combing and curling irons to get that desired 'big' hair. I'd just call it something other than Megarexia out of respect for the seriousness of the real disorder.
No idea what, though >.>

ravenreed
January 13th, 2011, 06:51 PM
When my hair is shorter and I use SLS shampoos my hair gets big whether I want it to or not. I kinda miss it, to be honest.

Tia2010
January 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I had "big hair syndrome" in High School. The heights I could achieve with a curling iron and a can of Aquanet were amazing :D now I prefer just a little natural wave and the aquanet is just a distant ( but funny ) memory :)

christine1989
January 13th, 2011, 08:56 PM
My hair used to be so curly and poofy and I would always try to flatten it down. Now it is much straighter and I REALLY want more volume! Talk about being careful what you wish for! ;)

HintOfMint
January 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I love my hair dresser for this. I told him that I'm sick of wishing that my hair was sleek and straight and that I've finally embraced the fact that it is big and wavy. So when he cuts and blowdries my hair, he always styles it with lots of volume and curls at the ends. I feel like a Texas beauty pageant contestant and I get such a kick out of it. When I lived in the south, my hair would get really big and curly in the humidity, so it's a look that I've come to love.