PDA

View Full Version : Scared of long haired people

Oz
January 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I always used to be scared of other women and girls with long hair.
Even when I first came here you lot where frightening.

Iím trying to come up with some theories... I never could relate or feel a connection with another longie, usually I felt very intimidated and pushed away, the opposite of what you would expect.

maybe long hair is a symbol of power and beauty which can be quite frightening when you believe you have none yourself.

in primary school I had a maths teacher with hair almost as long as mine who was really horrible to me, I thought it was because she didnít like the competition. It might be a hang up from that...

I always feel like other longies (talking past hip) are judging me, and I donít want to be judged, Iím not pretending to be anything with my hair, it just grew like that because I didnít cut it... i didnít want it to grow, it just did, please donít hurt me!

Iím glad now that i can get to know you and see that you arnít evil and cold and judging.

Anyone else know if itís a stereotype?

Anyone else ever felt the same?

ravenreed
January 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I can't say that I have ever felt this way. I didn't grow up with many people around me who had long hair. The first person I ever knew with really long hair was my favorite older cousin's wife and she is a such a doll that I adored her from the moment I met her. Anyway, I hope you are able to get over your discomfort. People here are nice and helpful.

McFearless
January 8th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I think its something personal to you. You find long hair a symbol of beauty and power, but not everyone does. In fact a lot of people get mean comments because their hair is "too long" by society's standards. Similar to the way short hair on women is judged.

Melisande
January 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I have never felt the same way either. It's just hair, after all. I never feel that there is competition - and never felt that long haired people are any different from short haired. I'm glad when I see people with long hair, especially around my age, because it makes me feel more "acceptable"... but it's interesting to hear you. Maybe others have thought about me that I'm arrogant or snobbish or want to be special - and took my hair as symbol of it? Who knows. Rather not think about it...

This little corner of the Internet is one of the nicest places I know, and most of the people here have long hair. So I don't think there is a correlation between bitchiness or aloofness or whatever - and hair length.

I have had long or longish hair for most of my life, so have some of my best friends. No friction, no competition ever. I'm glad to have friends with long hair because I can shower them with hair toys.

I hope you feel welcome here and see how nice it can be when longhairs do not compete or threaten each other but support, help, cheer on and distribute sage advice to one another :-)

Oz
January 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM
oh, i do love it here.. it was before i found this place that I got that feeling.. I think it probably is to do with that school teacher and othe unpleasent longies ive met... she really was a nasty bit of something alright.

I have long hair myeslf and know that im not aloof or snobbish or arrogant.

it might also be becuase of the hole 'not letting your hair down' thing... the 'tight bun' beign iconic of the strict, spinsterish old woman. (again, i know we arnt like that here)

then again, im scared of everyone :D

LovelyL
January 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I've never heard of this stereotype before... and I can honestly say as a newbie to this forum that it's distinctly non-threatening for me, everyone's so nice to each other!

I always feel like other longies (talking past hip) are judging me, and I donít want to be judged
I have felt judged sometimes (not by long haired, just generally). The most reassuring thing I can tell myself is that they're probably just as self-absorbed as me and actually they probably barely even notice what to me are glaring deficiencies, because they're worried too much about their own problems...

isn't it strange the way we don't hesitate to criticise ourselves in a way strangers (more often than not) would never dream of doing... :nono:

McFearless
January 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Well its great you got over that fear:)

Dragon
January 9th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Maybe it’s because when you were young you had that mean teacher and that image has stayed with you.

Night_Kitten
January 9th, 2011, 02:45 AM
For me, usually the short haired people are the critical judges of my long hair, suggesting I cut it and wanting me to conform to the "norm" (whatever that is?)
A teacher can have great influence on a child, especially when the child is targeted by the teacher, because the teacher represents authority and power, so it makes alot of sence you associate that teacher's appearence/features with nastiness and unkindness, and project it on everyone who has that feature...
I sometimes wonder wether the teachers are fully aware of the immence influence they have on their student's minds and lives?

*Rose Red*
January 9th, 2011, 03:43 AM
for me long hair always looks kind of a fairytale, it´s more fascinating for me, because I think of all the good in fairytales. For me women with very short hair, like Demi Moore in this movie with the army, looks rather frightening.

Cupofmilk
January 9th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I feel extremely intimidated by some people with below classic length hair on here.

I think I know why. I used to have seriously long hair - about 2 inches above classic. I was very comfortable with it and wouldnt' hav ebeen intimidated then. I cut it off and was happy at the time not to have the hassle of thick long hair when I had a sick baby to look after. As he got better I realised I made a mistake and should have not cut that much off my hair.

As a result my confidence is at an all time low (coupled with the fact I am now genuinely fat having had three babies and three sections and I mean that - I am overweight).

My hair has always been (well since I hit hip in 2006) a source of huge confidence to me - not many people can pull of my mad wavey hippy styles. Unfortunately my hair is now short (well to me it is) and I feel utterly miserable everytime I see it down still.

When I see people on here or in real life with very long hair - longer than mine used to be - I simply feel like a failure - a wimp and a fool for cutting my hair. They were strong and I was weak. I think the the crux of the matter is that in cutting my hair I wasn't true to myself.

Yosha
January 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM
It doesn't seem to be a stereotype to me, but I do tend to look up a bit to people with long hair. But it sounds like you know why it intimidated you so much, when I read about your experience with the math teacher. Somehow you connected her personality with her hair, which happens a lot (connecting experiences with a person and the way they look, it's how human psyche works). Don't worry about it, you know where it's coming from and you are having better experiences now:D

monichella
January 9th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I get an unpleasant feeling when long hair and damaged, not when they are well manteined. In the first case I think to witch, in the second to fairy

Aerith85
January 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM
For me people with really long hair is like somehting out of a fariytail book like princesses or elven princesses.. I just think people with long hair look magical I love it. So I guess everyone is different personally ladies with severly short hair frighten me. x

geosangel
January 9th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Throughout life growing up I always admired people with long hair, and still do. However, every time in real life when I asked what they do with their hair to get it in such good shape, I was met with an arrogant attitude, and they never gave me any advice. Later, in my mid twenties, I had a friend that always kept her hair in a bun, and I saw it down once, I was stunned, it was tailbone length. I said how beautiful it was, and built up the courage to ask what she did, and explained how mine was always breaking at shoulder length and did she have any tips..again, I was met with arrogance and secretiveness. :( So I guess I was not afraid per say of long haired people, but afraid to approach them, and a little put off by the arrogance. This made me kind of give up growing it long, and, until I came here, it never changed. I lurked for awhile before posting my first posts, and sometimes am still uneasy asking questions due to years of "baggage" from forming an opinion based on how I was treated through the years by long haired people in real life. Does not mean I still don't look up to them, or admire the hair, or wish to achieve it myself, and, now that I'm on my way, if people ask me, I am more than ready to talk and share tips, I guess partly to not do to people what was done to me? Weird, I know, lol. Just my two cents :o

Clarisse
January 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I think I’m a little the opposite.
Girls/women with buzz cuts, spiky hair and crew cuts tend to be less nice to me than other people. However, this is probably coincidence and I have also met very nice women with short hair.
But I’m always a little more nervous when getting a teacher with short hair/building a relationship to a new female friend with short hair due to past bad experience.

I also tend to get along well with long haired people (both male and female). The ”success rate” for a relationship with a long haired person is higher for me, so to say. But I have many good short haired friends too.

As to the envy - I think that short haired people envy long hair more so than other long hairs.

Lostsoule77
January 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Growing up I was always a little jealous of other long hairs and/or in awe. I loved that I had long hair, but it was frizzy and unmanageable. If I saw others who had long hair that was gorgeous I would get slightly jealous because I wanted mine to look like that. It was never a big deal, just a few seconds when I would first see them, but it did happen. As I got older I learned to deal with my hair and it stopped. Instead when I would see long, beautiful hair I would just think it was gorgeous and be glad that they had it. If it was in bad shape I would feel a tad sorry for them. A few years ago I saw a woman who was tall and had her hair dragging on the ground a couple inches. It wasn't braided or anything. It looked bad from around waste down. I thought it was so cool that it was that long, but such a shame that it was so damaged.

Now I just think it's cool. I've never really approached others if I didn't know them because I'm pretty shy. Even if I do know them I've never thought to ask what they do to their hair. That's why I'm so glad to have found this site with all these wonderful women and their great advice. :)

As for you it sounds like you figured out what the problem was and like you are on you're way to learning it might not be the case. Congratulations. :)

Rennire
January 9th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I used to get intimidated by people with really long hair too. I often feel kind of like a "fake" because my hair is never as nice as theirs is and maybe I don't deserve to call myself a long hair. The more time I spend here though the less that I think this way =)

ericthegreat
January 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I think its something personal to you. You find long hair a symbol of beauty and power, but not everyone does. In fact a lot of people get mean comments because their hair is "too long" by society's standards. Similar to the way short hair on women is judged.

This exactly. You unfortunately had bad experiences with people who only also happened to have long hair, and you grew to associate long hair it itself to be a "sign" that person is a cruel or bad person.

I think as you come into LHC more and more, you will come to see for yourself that neither long hair or short hair is a factor in measuring someone's personality.

Bonkers57
January 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Now, hang on a minute! How many of these people you see as so strong, how many of them have had to deal with three premature babies and three c-sections? You dealt with a lot more than just growing your hair. It will most certainly grow back to where it was, given some time. And you'll still have what I like to call "battle scars." :boxer: Give yourself some credit!

(For the record, I still haven't lost the weight after all these years and sometimes it gets me down, but I'm eating a whole lot healthier and get exercise when I can. No point in striving for my young, pre-pregnancy body again because that ain't gonna happen - not for me, anyway. I'm trying to do the best with the body I've got now.)

I feel extremely intimidated by some people with below classic length hair on here.

I think I know why. I used to have seriously long hair - about 2 inches above classic. I was very comfortable with it and wouldnt' have been intimidated then. I cut it off and was happy at the time not to have the hassle of thick long hair when I had a sick baby to look after. As he got better I realised I made a mistake and should have not cut that much off my hair.

As a result my confidence is at an all time low (coupled with the fact I am now genuinely fat having had three babies and three sections and I mean that - I am overweight).

My hair has always been (well since I hit hip in 2006) a source of huge confidence to me - not many people can pull of my mad wavey hippy styles. Unfortunately my hair is now short (well to me it is) and I feel utterly miserable everytime I see it down still.

When I see people on here or in real life with very long hair - longer than mine used to be - I simply feel like a failure - a wimp and a fool for cutting my hair. They were strong and I was weak. I think the the crux of the matter is that in cutting my hair I wasn't true to myself.

zombiekat
January 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Personally, I love long hair. The way it swooshes around is so magical...reminds me of fairytales and Disney princesses :P

Bonkers57
January 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Oz, I hope you're becoming more comfortable as you spend more time here. You will find mean-spirited people wherever you go, but you will find a lot of really nice, easygoing people, too. I've seen both on this forum.

I don't know if I'd call it a stereotype, but when I was growing up, I remember only a few girls that had really super-long hair. Some thought they was all that and a bag of chips, but I remember some who were really nice.

You've come to the right place for lots of advice on how to keep your hair looking good as it grows. Just take what you need and leave the rest. :)

I’m trying to come up with some theories... I never could relate or feel a connection with another longie, usually I felt very intimidated and pushed away, the opposite of what you would expect.

maybe long hair is a symbol of power and beauty which can be quite frightening when you believe you have none yourself.

in primary school I had a maths teacher with hair almost as long as mine who was really horrible to me, I thought it was because she didn’t like the competition. It might be a hang up from that...

I always feel like other longies (talking past hip) are judging me, and I don’t want to be judged, I’m not pretending to be anything with my hair, it just grew like that because I didn’t cut it... i didn’t want it to grow, it just did, please don’t hurt me!

I’m glad now that i can get to know you and see that you arn’t evil and cold and judging.

Anyone else know if it’s a stereotype?

Phalaenopsis
January 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, at times I've felt the same. Or kind of the same at the least:)

princessp
January 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Cupofmilk As a result my confidence is at an all time low (coupled with the fact I am now genuinely fat having had three babies and three sections and I mean that - I am overweight).

Darling at least you have a reason for gaining weight (and you have three lovely babies). Some of us *ahem* just plain overindulge (just occasionally okay...hehe).

As far as being scared of long hairs, I definitely don't feel that way. I instantly feel at ease and a kinship towards fellow long hairs. Honestly, I just don't meet many of them. I don't have a fear of short-hairs either, but often I hide my hair because it is "not cool" in my profession and generally considered a wee "old fashion" and "dated" in the circles I run in. Not saying folks are mean, it is just sort of not considered "hip" but I don't care -- lol. :p

ETA: Occasionally I am even "rolled out" by friends at parties as sort of a parlor trick. "You must see PrincessP's hair, c'mon repunzel take down your hair."...and on it goes. All in good humor and kind of funny if you ask me.

Joliebaby
January 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I have always admired people with beautiful long hair. It takes perseverance to have long hair. You can't give in to fickle trends and moods. Sometimes I have felt like a failure compared to a person with lovely long hair, as mine was ruined with dye etc. and cut short :/ But it was never they long haired person's fault if I felt intimidated. And I only ever felt like that when I wasn't happy with my own hair. I'm pretty happy now :) And I would gladly give out hair care tips to anyone asking :D

truepeacenik
January 10th, 2011, 12:58 AM
So all people with ultra long hair have ( insert attribute here)?
Is that any more fair than saying redheads are trampy (I'm a natural red, so I'm using my own physical characteristic, here) or blondes are unintellegent or burunettes dull or frumpy?

I challenge you to reach beyond your past, your prejudices, and your very self to be happier.
If talking with us helps you in your human journey, keep typing!

We should all reach for the best we can be.

CurlAhead
January 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I would never judge anyone with long hair (not with short hair either), more likely admire them, because I want to have long hair too!

Calaelen
January 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I've had people tell me long hair scares them because of some of the recent horror movies featuring someone with very long hair. ( The Ring is the one referenced to me the most.)

I have family and friends tell me not to grow it past a certain length because it will be scary, so I guess I can see how those connections are made.

ddiana1979
January 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
For me women with very short hair, like Demi Moore in this movie with the army, looks rather frightening.

LOL. . . I think she looks beautiful in that movie. She has the facial structure to pull off "bald" (I guess it was more of a buzz cut than bald) well. The same is true (at least for me) of Sinead O'Conner & Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta. I guess the last two just have such exquisite fine facial features that the stark contrast is appealing.

There are lots of movies that make women with long hair seem scary though. All the The Ring movies, The Grudge movies, and many Asian (primarily Korean, I believe) horror films.

Henrietta
January 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM
At the beginning I was afraid (as always and in any case, not only when it comes to hair), I thought people will judge me but... see, this is the most wonderful online society that exists on this planet. To be honest, I have found much more friendly people than I know in real live... Don't be afraid;) To compare does not mean to judge;) And, trust me, long hair does not always mean the power, self confidence... Really:D

P.S Have I already told you I like your hair colour? ;)

DARKMARTIAN
January 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Ive never been scared of long haired people.....but when I was very young I was scared of this guy I knew of with only one arm.

Oddly enough though....Ive encountered many young children over the years and none of them seem intimidated by my appearance while a good number of adults do. I like to think that its because the kids can sense what is really in my heart, while the adult world (as a general rule) relies on superficiality to come to their conclusions. Not always mind you.....but far too often.

Alun
January 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Scary long haired witches and wizards (evil laugh), LOL!

Mind you, guys with buzz cuts really put the wind up me.

katgib
January 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'd say I'm generally pretty jealous of people with long, beautiful locks, but not necessarily intimidated in any way. I suppose that beauty can be really intimidating. There are some that use that to their advantage.

daaisychains
January 20th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Long hair makes me think of warm kindhearted people :)

rose.grace
January 20th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Iím trying to come up with some theories... I never could relate or feel a connection with another longie, usually I felt very intimidated and pushed away, the opposite of what you would expect.

in primary school I had a maths teacher with hair almost as long as mine who was really horrible to me, I thought it was because she didnít like the competition. It might be a hang up from that...

I always feel like other longies (talking past hip) are judging me, and I donít want to be judged, Iím not pretending to be anything with my hair, it just grew like that because I didnít cut it... i didnít want it to grow, it just did, please donít hurt me!

Iím glad now that i can get to know you and see that you arnít evil and cold and judging.

Anyone else know if itís a stereotype?

I think you've got something here. Feeling this way just may be the reason so many people are hostile toward long hair or feel compelled to tell people with it, that they should cut it off. I mean really, that's a pretty personal remark and yet many women have to listen to it, even from complete strangers.

A lot of the women in my family hate long hair and it just makes me wonder...

spidermom
January 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I've always been fine with hair, but people who dress well and always look polished and ready for a meeting with the President (or Queen) really intimidate me. If there were a well-dressed community, I'd be afraid to even lurk.

Telephones bother me, too.

We humans are a weird lot. But we're all that way together, so it's cool.

silverleaf79
January 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I've often felt jealous of those with waist-length hair or longer, because mine's never been that length and if I want to get there it will take a long time. And when I'm jealous I tend to see the bad in people rather than the good - it takes me a while to learn to like someone who has nice hair because I don't really like my own hair much. It's horrible, but there you go.

That said, I have met a couple of longhairs who seem to be constantly drawing attention to their hair, playing with it and generally showing off until someone comments on how long their hair is or how nice it looks, which seems a bit sad to me. People like that irritate me - same with pregnant women who can't help but bring it up every three seconds. So you've got long hair/a sproglet gestating inside you/a new car/whatever. That's very nice. Shut up about it now.

Maybe I'm just not very nice!

BlueMuse
January 21st, 2011, 12:27 AM
I've never had a problem with long hair, but that may be because I never really associated physical characteristics with someone being mean to me. But that may just have been because there were a whhhole lotta girls (and some guys too) who liked to pick on me. Eh, such is life.

However, we had a little second cousin visiting recently who loves long hair (and would sidle up to my mother in law and pet her hair very gently while saying "you have pretty hair"). My mother in law's hair is only about shoulder length (or was at the time) and the little lady adored it. So I took my hair down because my mom in law thought she might like it. Well, she was afraid of it and when my mom in law asked her if she liked it she said "no".

Later, her mother said it was probably because my hair was bigger than her. I got a kick out of it.

But along those lines, I have heard several people (guys mostly) on another forum mention that they actually find really really long hair kind of frightening. Like it just doesn't seem normal and it puts them in this weird "uncanny valley" place that just creeps them out.

silverleaf79
January 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
How strange, BlueMuse! I guess it's just because really long hair isn't that common. Like people with albinism, or full-body tattoos or amputations or whatever, anything sufficiently different from the "norm" and rare enough weirds people out.

We're innately predisposed towards dividing people up into our "in-group" or "out-group" and anyone who's not pretty much like us goes in the out-group straight away, because back in caveman times that would indicate they were from a different tribe or whatever, and they were to be feared or even hated. We humans can only realistically deal with maybe 100 people in our lives, so we just can't help having an us-and-them attitude.

Yay, evolutionary psychology! ;)

rose.grace
January 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
How strange, BlueMuse! I guess it's just because really long hair isn't that common. Like people with albinism, or full-body tattoos or amputations or whatever, anything sufficiently different from the "norm" and rare enough weirds people out.

We're innately predisposed towards dividing people up into our "in-group" or "out-group" and anyone who's not pretty much like us goes in the out-group straight away, because back in caveman times that would indicate they were from a different tribe or whatever, and they were to be feared or even hated. We humans can only realistically deal with maybe 100 people in our lives, so we just can't help having an us-and-them attitude.

Yay, evolutionary psychology! ;)

I agree with this but want to add that I think this kind of attitude, although very common among humans, is a learned one and doesn't come naturally. In caveman days, I would imagine it was more the smell of someone that would warn us if a stranger was "dangerous" and then, only dangerous to our survival. Today, mankind has pretty much eliminated anything that smells natural as "dirty" so very few people smell like people, and thus, we have to discern with our eyes. IMO that hasn't worked out very well.

Ok now I'm getting weird so I'll stop. So many things to ponder...

Saila_
January 21st, 2011, 01:50 PM
For me, long hair is shocking, simply from a visual perspective. It's unexpected and unusual. I don't make any serious judgments about the person, but I am visually stunned.

I think many other people are as well, especially if they don't know anyone with extremely long hair. They don't necessarily have any personal issues (jealousy, fear) but they can't help being taken a back by it.

Often the reaction is: :agape:
Then people are confused and wonder why one would have such long hair, because it's so unusual.

Sagi1982
January 21st, 2011, 02:27 PM
hmmmm... I started out with very short hair, and I feel slightly scared and depressed by those shiny, healthy, long manes too.

I thought my hair will never be that long or healthy or shiny as the girls' on that board.

I thought of tips like "don't wear it down because of damage", "wash seldom", "don't use this and that and NEVER do that" as strictly rules of an exclusive circle, and I was not sure if I want to belong to such an elitary club ;).

But those are tips, not laws...

Dark Queen
January 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Interesting. I never thought of the whole long hair thing as being intimidating in any way; at least I hope no one's ever intimidated by me and my hair :-(. My first experience with someone of floor length was a very positive one, so I've always associated longer hair as such. In general, I haven't come across anyone harsh or judgmental here; this doesn't seem like the place people would want to go just for the sake of criticizing others and their hair. People here have always seemed very helpful. Hopefully we can change any negativity left out there that's associated with us :hmm:

Islandgrrl
January 21st, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'm glad you're over your fear. It's only hair.

Dark Queen
January 21st, 2011, 04:42 PM

I think I know why. I used to have seriously long hair - about 2 inches above classic. I was very comfortable with it and wouldnt' hav ebeen intimidated then. I cut it off and was happy at the time not to have the hassle of thick long hair when I had a sick baby to look after. As he got better I realised I made a mistake and should have not cut that much off my hair.

Aww don't feel bad about that :-(. You have to take care of yourself. If it was better for you at the time to cut it back some, then that's fine. I was close to knee length at one point, but there was still damage left, so I had to cut it back also. I felt pretty bad about doing it, but in the end it improved the overall health of it, so if it's something you needed to do to make life easier, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. Besides, I know others agree that having three kids to take care of makes you a pretty tough person in general, so props to you :)

Feng-Shui
January 21st, 2011, 05:05 PM
I did not have fear as I the beautiful long hair with LHC saw here at the beginning.

I had large reverence and felt somewhat small because my hair was not so long and beautifully.

But that was my own problem.

Other humans are in each case a mirror for me if something at them in me strange feelings release.

So I have to work decided on me and fathom these feelings.

Today I has large respect before humans with very long hair because I now estimate can very well which large work out it to have carried around it to receive.

I enjoys even if other people has before my hair respect because I also much time and patience invested into my hair.

I thinks it is earned respect.

But fear is not necessary.

I is a very nice person and helps gladly with advice if me someone asks.:)

Me have other LHC Member also helped than I begun and for advice asked.:flowers: