PDA

View Full Version : protection from the elements...

geosangel
January 8th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Our family likes to ride atv's here typically every weekend. We have not ridden since summer, and it is extremely dusty (sand dust) and muddy. I have tried a full helmet, a tight bun, a bandana, and a loose pony tail, all with no success. I end up with mud, dirt, sand, and dust all over my scalp and through my hair, every time. I just hennaed my hair last night, and now after weeks of no riding, hubby states we are going tomorrow:rolleyes:. If there was ever a time when I wanted ideas of how to keep my hair protected, it would be now. Short of wrapping it in saran wrap and looking, well, strange, I don't know what else to do. I tried covering it in coconut oil in the summer, but that got real nasty real fast, a muddy mess that required me to wash my hair on the side of the truck before riding anymore. The dust really dries my hair and creates horrible tangles, and now that I'm freshly hennaed, my hair is a bit on the dry side as it is. I need moisture and protection. Any ideas??

Anje
January 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Ever try a Buff? A Buff or a Pony Scrub hat might give you better protection from dust than a bandana. In either case, I'd suggest you contain hair in a vaguely bun-like style rather than letting it stream out behind you.

desertgirl
January 8th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi geosangel!

I've had some success keeping the dust off by bunning my hair AND completely covering it with a scarf (tightly wrapped). There still might be some dust, but for me it does cut it down quite a bit.

About using oils. I would suggest that you try experimenting with a lighter one (I use a couple drops of Africa's Best on the ends of my hair), using it after you wash it (some have success applying it when their hair is wet, I apply mine when my hair is dry). I find that just using a couple drops moisturizes and softens my hair without attracting a lot of dust (excess oil attracts dust!). I don't know your hair care routine, but if you oil your hair early in the week it maybe nicely absorbed by atv time.

I hope this helps!

geosangel
January 8th, 2011, 09:00 PM
thanks :) I don't have a scarf at the moment, but a quick stop at a store on the way wouldn't hurt..I have tried many oils, but the only oil that seems to agree with my hair is the coconut for some reason. I use it on the ends once in awhile, and an overnight soak as well. When I'm going to the beach I use it to protect from salt splash and it does wonders for that, but I never stopped to think it would attract dust until that day...lol. A buff or pony scrub would do nicely as well, I hadn't thought of that. I always felt bad seeing the girls at the end of the day with what was beautiful long hair covered in mats and mud because they let it down behind them all day. Ouch!