PDA

View Full Version : Another No Tug Chignon - Scarf Method

shikara
January 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Following are tips and directions for this do, with photos below. I am trying to think, though, of something to support a bun up higher a little (don't think a band would look right) and it can't be anything that pins to the scalp. Any input..... These days, even when walking through a housewares isle I'll be looking for something that might be more useful on my head:hmm:

As with the No Tugs Nape Knot, begin by putting a band over your head. Before I do this, I neatly pull some hair away and back from behind the ears and put a bobby pin in vertically. This mimics the look of having a ponytail as the base, and keeps hair smoother and more manageable when reaching under the band to pull hair length through. I also pin the band at either temple.

When putting your fingers under the band to grab hair length, take your time. Be gentle, patient, and feel around. The tidier your hair before you start, the less likely it is you will pull any as you are working. Sometimes oiling the lenth helps.

1. So start the same way as with the other bun. This time though I only loosely twist the length, and when I bring it down through the band, I insert it farther over to the right, and looser.
2. Again, I try to keep the twist a little loose. I wouldn't concern myself so much with whether it is exactly how I am showing because regardless, it will likely produce a design of some sort. (just keep track of what you do so you can share happy mistakes, or purposeful other designs!).

If you have any input on how to improve these, please post! Also, if you have success, I'd sure like to hear from you....
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5281/5337826788_63af4dd0c6_z.jpg

pepperminttea
January 8th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'd be tempted to try it with a braided start, just a few crossovers, to secure the base of the ponytail rather than bobby pins.

shikara
January 8th, 2011, 07:54 PM
There's no reason beginning with couple braid wraps wouldn't work, but for my hair type it would cause a couple problems - a better likelihood of catching hair when I'm pulling through and maybe a few tangles in that area when I'm undoing it. I'm trying to avoid of my hair under the band when I move my head or if I need to tighten the knot of the tie/scarf during the day.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2011, 08:16 PM
My only worry is that I have a heck of a time getting bands to stay on my funny shaped skull. However, wrapping the tail around it might help anchor it in place. I do believe I will have to give it a try.

shikara
January 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Myself, I don't wear actual bands, you know, the stretchy kind. I use scarves, and those long hair 'ties' (what are they really called), and the bobby bins at either temple over the tie should keep it there. I have pretty slippy hair and it works for me. Sometimes I also put a bobby on the tie at either side of the bun. Not sure if you read the original No Tug Nape Knot but the idea for the scarf dos came about because nothing else worked that would put an end to tugging hairs, and drooping buns, and I've read on here that there are many that have the same problems. Thus, the hair is wrapped around the scarf to use it as the anchor so pins, claws, clips, etc won't have to be attached to the scalp hair.