PDA

View Full Version : What does long hairiness represent to you?

Loviisa
January 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I could not find a thread like this: the ideology behind your long hair?

Why to keep it long - if you don't count any outward appearance reasons? What do you want to tell others when you let your hair grow?

You may assume something about a person's way of living / world view, when you see somebody with long hair - what?

Medievalmaniac
January 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
It represents me, having something that I love and that is just for me.

Allychan
January 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I am growing it for completley superficial reasons. Long healthy hair is sexy.

LisaMonster
January 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Freedom and strength.

I've posted this before, but I grew up in an abusive household, and my hair was involved, a lot. It was yanked, pulled, chopped, set on fire once. Now I'm out of that, and my hair is long and beautiful and I feel amazing. :)

Vani1902
January 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Growing my hair out (with it's natural texture) represents the fact that I have learned to accept myself regardless of whether or not I fit in with the standard of beauty in Western society. Plus, I consider long hair to be beautiful and unique.

lapushka
January 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
No ideology. It's easier longer with the texture that I have, is all.

Sammich
January 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Beauty, grace, elves, fairytales, romance, nature, natural, freedom.

:D

Rivanariko
January 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I just like it :shrug: I think it's pretty. I'm not really trying to say anything with it.

pepperminttea
January 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Something beautiful, hidden away in a bun, and kept for me.

ravenreed
January 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM
It means longer braids and fun updo's and pretty hair toys and lot more work. It is one of many hair options I have explored over the years.

HairFaerie
January 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Connection to nature, earth, faeries and it makes me feel sexy! :)

Cirafly24
January 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Growing my hair out (with it's natural texture) represents the fact that I have learned to accept myself regardless of whether or not I fit in with the standard of beauty in Western society. Plus, I consider long hair to be beautiful and unique.

I have to go with this, exactly!

christine1989
January 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm a Republican living in Seattle. I'm politically, and ideologically different from 90% of the people I come into contact with so I might as well look the part too :). Heck, if I'm different on the inside it makes sense to look differnt on the outside too.

jaine
January 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I like being able to switch my look around easily depending on my mood...up, down, wavy, curly.
I also like the sensuality of long hair.

Aerith85
January 8th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Femininity, beauty and I think long hair is sexy

Madora
January 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Vanity, pure and simple. My hair is my only claim to "beauty" of any kind.

nellreno
January 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Since I've started thinking about growing to knee-length or terminal, it will be an accomplishment for me. This is currently the longest I've ever had my hair, and if I can grow it even longer *and* get rid of all the damage, that's a big deal for me.

I guess it's also a way for me to say 'too bad' to social ideals and do what I want. In my area it's pretty uncommon to find someone with hair at hip-length or longer, most people here have really short hair.

spidermom
January 8th, 2011, 06:37 PM
It's something new. I've done just everything to my hair except leave it alone and let it grow long, and it's never looked better.

julliams
January 8th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I have to confess and say it's pretty much the only thing that I was complimented on as a child so if it's my best feature, I have to go with it. I have tried chopping it off but I personally don't think I have the face to carry it off. I think I identify with having long hair - I'm a long haired person.

littlenvy
January 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I guess I have the stupidest reason of all ... I grow it because I want to prove that I can. Even if its just to myself. :p

(ok ... maybe deep deep deep down inside I want to make my SDD be just a little bit envious ;) )

skyblue
January 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I just love long hair, I always have! Not sure if it has anything to with anything other then that ;)

joyful373
January 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Embracing myself as God created me- and learning patience as I grow my hair out. Recognizing the beauty that is there, and letting that beauty honor God and my gratitude for all that I have. I love what was posted about hair being "hidden away in a bun" and just for me. :) I love that idea too.

Juneii
January 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Because many other people have short hair. I wanted to be different. That and it's a lot less work to have long hair.

shikara
January 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I like this thread, and many of the posts have helped me identify what long hair represents to me. On other people, I guess it would depend on how they are wearing it and what else they are wearing, and how they carry themselves - because all that can express many things. For myself, it represents that part of me that is a flowerchild! I think that says it best. Agreeing with a couple others, I do like having the 'secret' that is wrapped in a bun!!;)

ArienEllariel
January 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
It's so feminine and versatile and usually makes me think of fairytale princesses and elves in beautiful shimmering gowns. :)

IcarusBride
January 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I feel like, I'm finally growing into my own identity. My teenage years were an extended identity-crisis and I feel like I'm just now starting to notice who I really am. Long hair is part if that. I always knew I liked other peoples' hair super-long, but I never thought mine could grow much longer than BSL/Waist .

Emerald88
January 8th, 2011, 08:28 PM
All the reasons already listed. Mainly I just like it and I wouldn't feel like "me" without it, but I also love the uniqueness and versatility of styling options.

Yamainu
January 8th, 2011, 11:36 PM
For me, I've always seen it as representing luxury - the good, old fashioned, silver combs and silk pillows and linen nightgowns type. It made me think of ladies in the olden days taking time every evening to care for it because it was the sign of their femininity.

Taking care of my hair makes me feel spoiled.

tinywife
January 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I feel like, I'm finally growing into my own identity. My teenage years were an extended identity-crisis and I feel like I'm just now starting to notice who I really am. Long hair is part if that.
I feel the same.
I also like it because it's sexy, but even more than that, it's my own sexiness. I get tired of being told I have to buy something in order to have beauty.
Also, I just love the challenge of nurturing and caring for something, helping it become more beautiful, more itself.

Oz
January 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM
that there is no 'should' to get it cut. its natural this way, and beautiful this way.

thats what i tell people. for me its about choice, freedom and control over my own body.

its also fun to play with and origional and gives me a sense of identity, or else id be in crisis. :D

nature, yes. but im not all that in to fantasy or role play.

hippy at heart.

Oz
January 9th, 2011, 12:04 AM
and that split ends aka fairytail ends never killed anybody so leave me the hell alone :P

Ludde
January 9th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Freedom.

And as hair and hair knotting is affected by what life you live it is also a way for me to be more aware how I live; a reminder to care for myself which I so easily forget, and also a way to try to come to peace with the difficult stages of this life. I learn about being more patient and the joy of being less of a control freak.

This is the third time in my life I am growing long. First time was a reaction against childhood cuttings, second time I just got to hip by braiding the hair and not bother about it for years, this time it is a conscious desiscion to let the hair have a voice of its own and give it space. And freedom. :)

McFearless
January 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I just like how it looks. Its a hobby. Im perfectly fine with short hair and I have no attachment to long hair.

Dragon
January 9th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I like how it looks.

leoninnu
January 9th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Mostly I just am a long haired girl. I don't like it short. It's "me" to have long hair. But as an added bonus it's a separation. Outward appearances are what people see first, that means hair and clothes. And I don't want to look like my mothers daughter. Don't misunderstand, it's not that I don't love my mother but I can't be her, I don't want to be her and I don't want to be the person she want's me to be. It was only last year that she finally admitted that I look better wearing clothes that I like but she hasn't yet said that about my hair. Maybe she never will but I don't have to have her acceptance to be anything. And I'm a long haired girl.

Ishje
January 9th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I think it looks good on me, also it makes me feel pretty and, unique.
and I like working with it, new hairstyles and stuff.

Avital88
January 9th, 2011, 04:31 AM
For me it stands for health and beauty plus commitment

RavennaNight
January 9th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I'm growing it because I like the way long hair looks. To me it represents freedom to look however I want. It's one of the ways I let my goth/metal freak flag fly, even when it is inappropriate to do so in other ways. I grow it to be whatever and however I choose.

Locksmith
January 9th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Honestly? I'm growing my hair long because I think it's beautiful. Also it's fun, and it appeals to the romantic bit of me that loves things like historical novels and costume dramas. :o I've always had long hair, and I feel that cutting it short would change something quite significant about me and how I relate to my body. I'll have my body how I want regardless of what the fashion is, thanks very much, and long hair is part of that.

Locksmith
January 9th, 2011, 04:43 AM
and that split ends aka fairytail ends never killed anybody so leave me the hell alone :P

I thought split ends where where the hair has split, whereas fairytale ends are just healthy ends that aren't cut into an even hemline and hang all pretty and floaty-like? Or am I confused?

hanne jensen
January 9th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Long hair represents femininity to me. It represents health and beauty. I also want my hair loooong because it's so versatile. I very quickly get bored with the same hairdo.

Dragon
January 9th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I thought split ends where where the hair has split, whereas fairytale ends are just healthy ends that aren't cut into an even hemline and hang all pretty and floaty-like? Or am I confused?

I think fairytale ends can be both.

C. sinensis
January 9th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I think fairytale ends can be both.

Fairytale ends can *have* split ends, but so can blunt edges. The terms don't refer to the same thing.

As for why I'm growing my hair out...I'm had long hair as long as I can remember, and I feel like I would lose something precious if I cut it. It's also about letting my hair do its own thing. :)

camara
January 9th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Long hair represents a lot to me:

1. Femininity...curiously, on men it also represents masculinity.

2. Freedom to choose as I like. My mom kept my hair short as a child, so maybe I´m still compensating for that.

3. Acceptance of myself...grey hair, stretch marks, nice finger nails, everything

4. Accepting what nature intended for me.

5. Very long hair is the biggest luxury to me. It takes a long time to grow, and you can´t really cheat when you want it long.

6. the beauty of nature left alone

There are probably more, but I can´t think of them right now.

Yasmine91
January 9th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Freedom and strength.

I've posted this before, but I grew up in an abusive household, and my hair was involved, a lot. It was yanked, pulled, chopped, set on fire once. Now I'm out of that, and my hair is long and beautiful and I feel amazing. :)

You are very brave, thank goodness you are out of all that -hug-

In my country, Morocco, the longer your hair is, the more beautiful you are. This is what's said anyway, my mother always told me, that the ultimate beauty of a woman is her hair.

For me, it represents, beauty, discapline, patience and pride.

SwordWomanRiona
January 9th, 2011, 05:45 AM
For me it represents freedom, independence, strength, non-restraints, self-assertion...
Long hair is an important part of the Celtic Sword Woman that is inside me (:draw: Pity there aren't any smilies with swords...:D).

SwordWomanRiona
January 9th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Freedom and strength.

I completely agree! And I just wanted to say well done:thumbsup: for having been able to affirm yourself!

SwordWomanRiona
January 9th, 2011, 06:03 AM

I agree! Accepting oneself despite the "standarts of beauty in Western society" is vital to be happier. Although it can be really difficult because of all the pressure you get.

Fethenwen
January 9th, 2011, 06:03 AM
I have to confess and say it's pretty much the only thing that I was complimented on as a child so if it's my best feature, I have to go with it. I have tried chopping it off but I personally don't think I have the face to carry it off. I think I identify with having long hair - I'm a long haired person.
This.
--
And it - also like many have said, feels very natural. I love being surrounded by my floaty hair. It also fits very well into my image, I would look very weird right now with short hair, my long hair has really grown on me and matches well with my clothes and all.
Also I find reeeeaally long hair rebellious, almost like dread locks. We are told by fashionistas all the time that we should cut our hair when it gets too long. I love to disagree with that. I hate fashion :p

monichella
January 9th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Long hair is a dream for me because everyone said my hair was ugly and naturally frizzy, so it's a sort of challenge for me to demonstrate the opposite.
And I think long hair is sexy and beauty.

LovingLife
January 9th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I think long hair is beautiful.
Point blank.
I think that long hair represents mermaids and beauty and a best friend that you'll always have.
I think it represents frustration and craziness but still going on with it because you love it.
I think it represents spending hours on it one day and none the next.

Braidy
January 9th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I think what it represents to me has evolved and still is evolving. It started of with just this random idea of letting my hair grow after seeing a costume movie but after only a few weeks I feel like it represents much more than that to me.
1) accepting who I am: I've had longhaired and shorthaired stages in my life so far for several reasons but last week I looked in the mirror and I couldn't help thinking that my hair looks like it's "made" to be long. So I don't feel like I'm a longhaired one yet, but I guess I'm finally accepting that I'm destined to be one.
2) nature: I feel a growing connection with nature and long hair fits in that picture cause it feels natural.
3) freedom: society won't dictate what I should and shouldn't do anymore. Plus I like the freedom of taking the appearance of a sophisticated lady and turning that into a natural hippy-look in just a matter of seconds.

You could say I've come to place the small event in a bigger picture.

p3_Arme
January 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Long hair means to me; Feminine, Sensual and Beauty.

Okay so I grew up with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and I loved all of the Disney Princesses (Still do :) They're my inspiration.

Currently my hair is TB length, I'm aiming for Thigh length, maybe longer, depends if I can continue to look after it properly.

EdG
January 9th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Hair is meant to be long. Why else would it grow long? :shrug:
Ed

Drynwhyl
January 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM
LOVE your answer, Ed :D

maxzeen
January 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I am really just growing my hair out because I like long hair. I used to have it really long when I was a child - it was past my rear- and I always envy it on other people.

Noula
January 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ed

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Also, I like braids, and they're much easier to do on long hair.

hayesa
January 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I think long, healthy hair is absolutely beautiful. I also like the feeling after having worn it up all day, taking it down at home. Also, with how my hair is, long is much easier to manage- ever since I was a kid, I've loathed the hairdresser's chair (nothing to do with the cutting or styling or hairdressers- I just found it really boring. :P)

Anisaa
January 9th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Me, it's a matter of acceptance, it;s the fact that I am in a point of my life where I just accept things the way they are, I accept MYSELF as I am! My hair says a story about me. I can look at pictures of me and by looking at my hair I am able to see what stage in my life I was in. How I felt, what I was going through. My hair is me its a book that reads to me!

Elenna
January 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I feel that long hair is me. And in general, I seriously love long hair.

owlathena
January 10th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I have no idea what hair represents for me. I agree with everything that ya'll have already said, but can't think of anything long hair means for myself. I started growing after it was cut to a bob and dyed permanently dark red by a guy who owns a salon and wanted me to model for him. I was 16 and very flattered and let him style my hair however he wanted. After my hair was mutilated, I lost all my self-confidence. I started doing poorly in school and drifted apart from my friends. I became isolated and depressed. It sounds crazy to blame it all on a haircut, but in losing my hair I lost my identity. I still have not fully recovered. My hair is waist-length; longer than its ever been, but I'm yet to feel confident about my hair. I feel like I might just be using my hair as an outlet for my general insecurity, as if taking care of my hair makes me somehow a better person.

Intransigentia
January 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I think lots of people are confused. I had to explain exactly that, to a friend whose hair was much longer than mine.

lacefrost
January 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Oh wow! A million reasons why I keep it long

-because people told me I couldn't. I'm a rebel, what can I say?

-because long hair is romantic and sexy

-because long hair is versatile

-because lots of society is anti-tightly curled hair and this is my way of saying DEAL WITH IT! (Toldja I'm a rebel)

-because I want hair that stops people in their tracks and their mouth hangs open. Either cause I have big bodacious hair that blocks out the sun or because I have long slinky hair that shines like the moon

Basically it comes down to me wanting to be me and do me. It's freedom and sexiness and rebellion.

pretty wings
January 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Oh wow! A million reasons why I keep it long

-because people told me I couldn't. I'm a rebel, what can I say?

-because long hair is romantic and sexy

-because long hair is versatile

-because lots of society is anti-tightly curled hair and this is my way of saying DEAL WITH IT! (Toldja I'm a rebel)

-because I want hair that stops people in their tracks and their mouth hangs open. Either cause I have big bodacious hair that blocks out the sun or because I have long slinky hair that shines like the moon

Basically it comes down to me wanting to be me and do me. It's freedom and sexiness and rebellion.
I second this. You pretty much wrote out everything I was going to say. :)

WaitingSoLong
January 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I have to say that my hair is also my best feature so more of it=good. It is the only thing I get complimented on. I don't live for others compliments, but I confess they make me feel good.

Ease. Originally I began growing for ease of care. I have had my hair at all lengths and for me, it was too much work when it was short.

Versatility. Tho I have had versatile styles that were much shorter, like armpit length, permed with layers. I could do all kinds of cute ponies and clips and baretts, etc.

Beauty. I associate long hair with fairytale type stuff. Eccentric beauty. Elegence.

Perseverance, not being swayed by whims. Self-control. Commitment. Satisfaction.

The longer it gets the more unique it is. I resist stereo-types so I guess, to me, my hair is unique. I cannot say I know anyone else around here with TBL blonde straight hair.

Now, it has rather become ME and my identity. I began growing my hair and then at some point it began growing ME. No, I am not my hair, but my hair to me is like Jay Leno's chin to him. Even my husband said the other day that he cannot imagine me ever having short hair again (I am always talking about shaving my head...I WILL do it someday).

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Mum cut my harn darn short for a long time. then I watched Rapunzell, and I rebelled.

Oh, and the wonderfull, magical, renisance era, aspect of it all . :D

Kherome
January 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Some years ago my hair was knee length. I was bored and tired of the care and I cut it all off to boy shortness.

I didn't stop to consider that I am 6'1" tall, and someone that tall with short hair apparently MUST be a man. I was called Sir a lot. So I grew it out to avoid the Sir aspect of short hair, then I got lazy and just let it grow because I found long hair was less work to make it look nice. I'm only just now actually putting effort into the growing instead of letting it do whatever.

Drarra
January 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM
According to my mom, all I wanted as a tiny child was "really long hair". I had my hair long until I was 18, then I spent time experimenting with short lengths... and I realized at some point that I missed braiding my hair. I think it represents braids to me. I love braided hair. I also enjoy the versatility of having long hair, because when it was short, I couldn't do much with it to dress it up or make it different. Oddly enough, the longer it gets, the less often I get frustrated with it and want to chop it off.

cherokeesaint
January 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I've always believed that my hair was given for a covering and glory from above.

nena_shawty
January 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
well the Bible says that a womans hair is a glory unto her... its what makes a woman look pretty... long hair is sexy ... I just love long hair lol..

Nastasia
January 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
It's just the way I am. I've had long hair nearly all my life, and it's part of my self-image.

Bellatrix
January 11th, 2011, 07:58 PM
It makes me feel Romantic, as in, the Romantic movement, Romance, artful paintings, wildness, power, and anachronistic style.

jojo
January 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
for me it releases my inner hippy which represents to me freedom of choice, expression and individuality plus i look horrific with short hair!

Nicoliee
January 12th, 2011, 02:33 AM
It's my glory! --Mine is a religious conviction :)

Chamy
January 12th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Except, like you said, the look, i like that really long hair stands out in a crowd and is different from the norm. Its not mainstream. And i like that. :)

On a side note, this is my 200th post! Wohoo, cheese!

Ana-Laura
January 12th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Vanity, pure and simple. My hair is my only claim to "beauty" of any kind.

I totally agree, that's my main reason.:) And the fact that it feels more like me.

baaaad_kitty
January 12th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I like the look of long virgin hair that is healthy, unlike what I see everywhere around me (long long relaxed hair with terrible damage). Also there's so much more to do with long hair!

triumphator!
January 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Feminine power! Rah! :rockerdud

purple_figtree
January 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM
It makes me feel beautiful and feminine, but it's very private beauty. Because I wear hijab and have my hair in a bun almost all the time, very few people even know I have long hair.

I have had long hair for a long time, because I couldn't be arsed to do anything with it, but I have only recently started to value and appreciate it, and it has become an important part of my identity. I'm sometimes a bit vain about it.

I secretly want to be a fairy princess, although I don't think I'll really feel like one until I get closer to knee length..

Nobody
January 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
For a few years as a child, I had very long and beautiful hair. But when I tried to trim off some fringe that was hanging in my eyes, my mother overreacted and had the stylist shave my head so my hair was shorter than my brothers. As it grew out, she made me keep this horrible mullet and I was the ugliest kid. When it started to grow out and look fairly normal, I got head lice repeatedly from a neighbor kid and her family. Then, I developed trichotillomania and this obsession with sebum (which I thought was nits) so I ended up bald again. It took years to stop pulling and now, having classic length hair is a daily reminder of my triumphs over mental illness and tough times. My mother thinks it's disgusting that my hair is this long. And yet, my hair is so much healthier than hers. :P

boudica
January 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Wow! purple figtree, does keeping it covered and protected from the elements make a big difference in your hair? I would think a hijab to be an ideal environment for growing long hair. I bet your hair is lovely.

Your post makes me think of how my hair, in the US, fits into my identity - what piece it occupies in the puzzle. I've never worn hijab and am fascinated by the big and subtle effects it would have on experiencing the world. There's so much history in how the world interprets hair, women's display, and identiy. It doesn't ever seem to be neutral.

Hair, to me, is a historical continuation of my mother's hair, my grandmother's hair, etc.. I have my mother's braids and my grandmother's braids in a chest, next to one of mine that was cut off when I was 17. They're all the same color and thickness.

I often look at my long hair and measure out time with it. When this piece of this strand was growing, I was at someone's birthday party, or in the library, or at New Years four years ago in Boston. I like marking time with it. It's a game I play that I've never told anyone about.

My hair is sensual. I don't look good with it up, but I don't care. I used to have it down all the time but it's so fine and fragile that I'm keeping it very carefully now and when it's down it's magical - especially if it's been up in a French twist and has body and curls at the ends.

Part of me is rebelling against the haircare industry. I was at a hairdresser once and asked if she knew any good updos and she said to cut it short. I never went back to her. I can understand the allure of the industry and why people would go into it - wanting to help people become more lovely and to handle lovely hair. I get that. The brainwashing and the cost and the killing of their imaginations is what I resent. In order to keep it a multi-billion dollar industry they have to keep people coming back to get their hair cut every six weeks and they have to sell damaging product after damaging product.

So I'm rebelling against that. Hairdressers were always telling me that I had bad hair and can't grow it long and needs to be short - oh, and that the only way to get rid of split ends was to cut it short.

It's BSL now and is looking better than ever. :P to the hairdressers of my past.

Also, I recently read that when a guy meets a girl, it's the first and most important thing that they notice above all else. That's pretty cool.

But mostly I do it for me.

Ludde
January 13th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Ed

:love: Such a simple and utterly true answer!

Joliebaby
January 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
A friend recently told me that really long hair (I guess like waist and downwards for her!) is "not normal" and is gross.
That sounds so strange to me since what could be more normal, and natural, than let hair grow as it wants to grow?

Long hair represents many things to me. Perseverance, head-strongness, patience.
Feminine mystique and magic. Faith in God. Natural beauty. Strength and fragility at the same time.
And it's something you can keep when you lose your youth and "looks".

young&reckless
January 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Accepting myself.

I've never been a girly girl, even as my mom calls me her little sissy princess because I use something other then a bar of soap and a bottle of baby shampoo as the end all and be all of beauty care.

Because accepting that I can have long hair (which I've always thought beautiful) and be pretty without it being an invitation for abuse and without it being a sign of personal weakness has changes my perspective on life and helped me grow up.

Just takeing the time to care for it and myself makes me happy and braiding it the best OCD calming behavior ever :rolleyes:

Dvips
January 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Long hair doesn't mean anything to me, except that I have chosen to grow it long for the time being. :shrug: When I didn't want it long anymore, I cut it off. Now I am growing it again, at least until I feel like cutting it again.

rose.grace
January 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Royalty, femininity, power, patience, perseverance, beauty. A million beautiful things. :cloud9:

I am in total agreement with "If it's not natural, why does it grow?"

... except when it comes to leg and chin hair... :p

Shicurls
January 15th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I think there was a thread similar to this awhile back, but darned if I remember what it was called! :)

I am growing my hair because I find that I am missing a piece of who I am. A part of my cultural heritage and my heritage as a woman. I was on a reservation this last Spring and a part of my soul cried out for the missing pieces within me. For some reason, I had a deep conviction that if I grew out my hair I would find the answers. Strange thoughts, but there you go!

P.S. My hair was not the only thing that hit me at the reservation, it's just the only pertinent thought!

purple_figtree
January 15th, 2011, 07:30 AM
boudica: I have worn covered my hair for so long that I don't know if it makes a difference, but I expect that keeping it up and covered does help protect it from damage.

Your post was lovely and thoughtful, but I don't want to discuss it too much and go off topic.

enfys
January 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
There isn't really too much thought in it. It was long forever. I cut it to try and do vintage 1940s styles better but my hair was too thick to easily tie back securely so I grew it back out. DH likes it long, which helps.

I don't talk about my hair to other people, but I usually just say that I like it long because it's versatile and practical. I usually tell them that keeping it up means it's never in my way, and out of sight out of mind!

I don't assume anything about people's lifestyle and hair connection unless there are other clues. Military hair doesn't scream military person unless it's accompanied by a lot of khaki and camo print. Likewise, long hair doesn't scream hippie or whatever.