PDA

View Full Version : What does tapering of the individual hair strand indicate?

jenjen10
January 8th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I don't mean like a taper of your hemline but where the individual hair seems to be "pointier" at the end.... I hope that makes sense! I am seeing more and more of those and wondering what is causing it. Thanks!

Peter
January 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
It's just the way a normal hair grows. If the end is blunt, the hair was either trimmed or the end broke off.

spidermom
January 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Peter is right. I can't say it better.

GoddesJourney
January 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I agree with the above posters with the exception of hair that has been chemically treated. Chemical hair treatments can actually wear down the cuticle of your hair, making it thinner and prone to all kinds of extra damage. I bleached my hair a couple of times when I was younger so I could dye it crayola colors. My two-toned hair growing back out was noticeably thinner on the bleached side.

I think you're talking about natural growth though.

christine1989
January 8th, 2011, 03:34 PM
When hair emerges from the scalp it is taipered. The short taipered ones are new hairs. Its totally normal and nothing to do with damage. My hair is pretty healthy and I have tons of them.

jujube
January 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I also think that to some extent, it's the taper of individual strands that causes the taper of the whole hair/hemline.