PDA

View Full Version : Can you go from F to M??

littlenvy
January 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
So Ö has anyone experienced going from total F to almost an M ??
My hair used to be baby fine. And I mean FINE! Could do nothing with it since it was too light for any do or style.
But since I joined LHC (in May of 2010) I have been taking hair and skin supplement, extra Biotin and MSM and drinking horsetail tea. I have also started to oil my hair on regular basis, stopped SLS shampoos and cones. If I do use conditioner, its only on the very ends of my hair.
I also stopped dying my hair.
And now I have noticed that the new growth thatís coming in right is much more coarse then the rest of my hair. I donít think I can call it M Ö yet, but it is no longer baby fine and I would even say F/M.
Could this be?? Or am I just fooling myself?

princessp
January 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I thought you were talking about something entirely different! :p Anyway, I'd say if it has happened to you then yes it seems to be possible.

breezefaerie
January 8th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I thought you were talking about something entirely different! Anyway, I'd say if it has happened to you then yes it seems to be possible.

Me too! I'm sorry to say, I rushed to this thread to find out :o
I think that better hair care can definitely increase the thickness of hair.

PraiseCheeses
January 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
LOL, I didn't even think about the other implications of "going from a F to a M" - something tells me that should go in the "You know you spend too much time on LHC when..." thread!:laugh:

I have noticed a change in my hair's thickness after starting biotin and MSM and using the coconut oil shampoo. My hair's still pretty darn fine and I doubt I'll ever make it into the M category, but I have gone from barely a 2.25 inch ponytail circumference to 2.5. I'd be so thrilled if I ever made it to 3 inches! My hair was all virgin and never super-abused, so I don't think I can expect more than subtle changes.

LHC - going from F to M and increasing length and thickness!:eyebrows:

littlenvy
January 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
LOL, I didn't even think about the other implications of "going from a F to a M" - something tells me that should go in the "You know you spend too much time on LHC when..." thread!:laugh:

I have noticed a change in my hair's thickness after starting biotin and MSM and using the coconut oil shampoo. My hair's still pretty darn fine and I doubt I'll ever make it into the M category, but I have gone from barely a 2.25 inch ponytail circumference to 2.5. I'd be so thrilled if I ever made it to 3 inches! My hair was all virgin and never super-abused, so I don't think I can expect more than subtle changes.

LHC - going from F to M and increasing length and thickness!:eyebrows:
LOL :o Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I guess I should have used lower case f and m :eyebrows:

christine1989
January 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Biotin has definatly thickened my hair up so I wouldn't discount the possibility. Unfortunatly growth rate is the same but I would rather have increased thickness anyway :).

virgo75
January 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
That's great littlenvy! :cheese:

The one thing that has thickened up my strands(slightly) is henna.

I would LOVE for my hair to be less fine. What hair vitamin are you taking?

lindaweb
January 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
where do you buy this biotin stuff my hair needs to be a bit thicker as well it's not baby fine but i'd like a bit more body and fullness.

littlenvy
January 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
where do you buy this biotin stuff my hair needs to be a bit thicker as well it's not baby fine but i'd like a bit more body and fullness.
Not sure about thickness or body ...yet. Since the growth is only few inches long.

Biotin I get at my local GNC store and its their brand.
Hair and Nails I get from my local drug store and its called
Nature's Bounty Hair and Nails and its not really a vitamin suppliment. It only contains L-cystine, Horsetail, Bamboo and Inositol.
Funny thing is, my nails are just as fine and bad as they used to be :confused: No change there at all. That is why I was questioning the hair.

jaine
January 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I have gone from M to F so I'm sure it is possible! In my case I think the change was from giving up wheat and dairy; one or both of those were affecting my hormones somehow. I'm happy with F hair...always used to complain that my hair was too huge but now it's just right :)

princessp
January 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Me too! I'm sorry to say, I rushed to this thread to find out :o
I think that better hair care can definitely increase the thickness of hair.

Lol, that's so funny! I was going to say yes yes it's possible I've known people who have done it! :p (end hijack)

mellie89
January 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
It is definitely possible. My hair got more coarse when I went on birth control, and it started coming in more fine after I went off BC. Not saying that your change is hormone-related, necessarily, because I'm sure texture changes can happen for other reasons too!

haibane
January 9th, 2011, 03:57 AM
One of the articles posted in the science of hair thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60257 said that "Scalp hair diameter increases during pregnancy" and if hormones can do it, why not other things too? :)

Noula
January 9th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Most of my hairs are various blonde shades, but when I was 12 or 13 I started finding black hairs mixed in and these are much thicker. Not quite the same as what's happening for you but still.

It makes sense that if you take better care of it your hair will grow in healthier, and that might mean thicker/coarser.

Locksmith
January 9th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I'd recommend trying cassia. It's definitely thickened my hair up, and if it doesn't work out for you, it isn't permanent.

littlenvy
January 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'd recommend trying cassia. It's definitely thickened my hair up, and if it doesn't work out for you, it isn't permanent.
I think I will give it a try. :) Right now I'm on a mission to get to that M. LOL

Lostsoule77
January 9th, 2011, 09:10 AM
It seems it is possible, but I think only to a certain degree. If you were abusing your hair before and now you're not it makes sense that it could get healthier all around. Congratulations! I know how much of a pain it can be having hair so fine it won't hold anything (my sister's hair is like this and she fights with it anytime she wants to do something different.) Hopefully you will enjoy the new texture and it will allow you to do some styles that you couldn't before. :)

LHC - going from F to M and increasing length and thickness!:eyebrows: Just have to say I love this - it's hilarious!

mira-chan
January 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM
My hair changed from M to C/M then finally to C in the past 8 years or so. Supplements may contribute but I think it's mostly hormone caused. Hair changes with age sometimes. :shrug:

shikara
January 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Someone here asked about biotin. Biotin is found in many foods, in fact, I think 1/2 cup of peanuts is more than double the daily requirement. Biotin deficiency I hear is also very rare. It is found in nuts, bananas, tuna, carrots, eggs, avocado, and more.

hayesa
January 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hehe, I thought this was about something entirely different too!

I don't know about F to M, but I used to have coarse hair that you fought to comb. With a bit more care, it's now a very manageable M/F. I don't know if my hair's actually changed, or if it's just now no longer covered in horrible shampoos and straightened to death, but there's a definite difference. :)