PDA

View Full Version : Keratin Treatments?

Atherea
January 7th, 2011, 09:01 PM
hey everybody,
today my topic is keratin treatments. i have been seeing them all over the Internet for some time now, and i would like to know if there legit or not. do they really repair damage? do they really make Ur hair straight and smooth for 3 to 5 months? do they really put back the keratin lost caused by damage, etc. Ur opinions would be nice :-P

UltraBella
January 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
There are several threads already on this, one is active right now, I think in the conventional products, etc forum. I just saw it earlier today so you should be able to find it easily.

MClass
January 7th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I posted earlier in that one, my friend who gets them has some of the most beautiful hair i have ever seen. She says her hair stylist doesnt use form-(long word). But overall the threads say they are bad for hair..

Athena's Owl
January 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
there's already a bunch of threads about this. and they don't repair damage, that's a lie. and all of these so-called keartin treatments contain formaldehyde, which is so disgustingly toxic I'm astounded that anyone even idly speculated that putting it on hair was a good idea.

christine1989
January 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I had a few back in highschool before finding LHC. Overall, I liked the way my hair looked and felt right after having them done but the effects did not last more than a week at most. For my hair type I didn't think it was worth the money.

Lianna
January 8th, 2011, 12:18 AM
The "brazilian" keratin treatment, or just a keratin/protein treatment? I've seen some products that were just a protein treatment made of keratin (no "straightning/smoothing" system). Depends if your hair needs protein, my doesn't like much and often doesn't need, despite the fact that it's dyed, and that's often the "type" they say it needs.

While stretching a hair strand, if it snaps too easily to stretchs too much (mushy like), the hair needs protein. There's a right elasticity the hair should have, protein helps with that.

When I was CO'ing and oiling too much, my hair was too moisturized/too soft (lol) and mushy, protein helped then.

The only bad thing about the "brazilian", or others with different names (but the same stuff), is the formaldehyde. Some say they haven't any...but how can you be sure, you know. I live in Brazil, and some had this substance, even though they sad they hadn't.

The best thing is find the source of damage, and deal with that. :) Heat damages my hair, so I stoped, dyes don't, so I didn't. If it's just the time (old hair), try a small trim (dust 2mm) and try to protect from the elements more, with updos (hide ends) and hats, for instance.

I don't know if you have damaged hair, because you didn't say, so I won't assume. These are just a few tips, if anyone need. :)

chrissy-b
January 8th, 2011, 08:08 AM
If you're talking the Brazilian, HERE (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35126) is the link to an active thread.