PDA

View Full Version : Bangs? Should I or shouldn't I?

cleanbug
January 7th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for a little input from you all.
I have been growing my hair for almost 4 years now from a pixie cut.
I love my henna'd hair but work as a dog groomer & have my hair pulled back all the time. When I'm not in the shop working, I spend a lot of time in the gym or just busy running around with the kids.
I feel like my hair is pulled back in a french braid or pony tail about 75% of the time.
In the past, I always had bangs & liked how they looked on me but decided that when I grew out (4 years ago from pixie) I was going to try it without bangs. I went through all the difficult stages & grew them in. I always thought my face was too long & narrow to have my forehead bare...that's why I always had bangs. Anyway, now that I have had a chance to have my bangs grown in for quite some time, I am starting to get that itch for a small change & i am considering bangs again.
I have created an album with potential options for bangs.
You can also see a pic of what my hair looks like pulled back in the same album.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7010

What do you think? Should I cut some? If so, Should I cut just below the eyebrow or mabye chin length?
If they were chin length & i drew them over to the side, i could have some hair on my forehead but it would still be long enough that I could bobby pin it up & back if I wanted it off my face.
Here is an album of how my hair looks when it's down & bangs long of course.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3024

Coriander
January 7th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Check out this thread. I bought false bangs and love them. The best part is you can take them out! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61830&highlight=bangs

cleanbug
January 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Check out this thread. I bought false bangs and love them. The best part is you can take them out! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61830&highlight=bangs
I was reading that thread with much interest earlier this week. The only thing is, when I've looked for hair pieces (clip on pony etc when my hair was shorter) I could NEVER find any color that came close to henna red hair. I have a lot of grey so the red is even more hard to match as I have 2 tone red (grey/medium brown base=bright red/auburn henna hair).
Did you find one that matched yours closely?

Coriander
January 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Mine matches so well that my boyfriend watched in horror as I detached the piece. He spent two days thinking they were real. :laugh:

There are several other sites that offer bangs. Let's try and find you a match. :D

Coriander
January 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2409&pictureid=92500

Those are the bangs. :) The color looks different in the first photo because I was silly and set the flash. LOL

shikara
January 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Well, if you did cut them and changed your mind of course it would take quite a while as you already know to grow them out again. I have had bangs for years - I love them and will always have them, and the 'style' of the bangs can change quickly, achieving different looks. If I want, it can also keep me 'current' so to speak. I like the way bangs can frame the face and bring out eyes and cheekbones. Let us know when you decide which way you'll go!!

jaine
January 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I think you would look great with or without bangs! You have a beautiful shaped forehead; I don't think it's too high at all.

I personally like relatively wispy/thin/longish side bangs ... they would soften the updo like you want but they're also very versatile and easy to style in a way that makes it less obvious you have bangs, when you don't want the bangs to dominate your look.
Like this:
http://shortlonghairstyles.com/images1/2009/08/Jessica-Simpsons-Hairstyle.jpg
http://www.hrhairstyles.com/carrie-underwood-updo.jpg

Sundial
January 7th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I was reading that thread with much interest earlier this week. The only thing is, when I've looked for hair pieces (clip on pony etc when my hair was shorter) I could NEVER find any color that came close to henna red hair. I have a lot of grey so the red is even more hard to match as I have 2 tone red (grey/medium brown base=bright red/auburn henna hair).

Is there any way you can find hair pieces made of real hair that is very close to your natural color? When you next henna, you can leave a bit for that hair piece. Hopefully it will be a close enough match.

As for the issues with greys, I'm not sure if they have hair mascara that matches your hennaed color but I was thinking that you could probably use hair mascara on days that you want to wear the faux bangs. Afterall, I'm assuming that you won't be wearing the hair piece everyday and would probably want to switch up your look once in a while

silverjen
January 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'll be watching this thread closely... I have the same shape face as you; a long oval with a high forehead. I've had bangs most of my life, but I'm kind of wondering the opposite: can I get away with growing them out?

Pros: they're versatile, trendy, and can flatter a lot of faces.

Cons: They're trendy! I love your classic look. Your hair as it is now is timeless and very flattering. If you cut in some bangs you'd lose that sense of timelessness.

Your hair is lovely, and I agree you would look good either way.

jojo
January 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I too have a similar shaped face to yours and had bangs for ever upto finding LHC in 2007. I love bangs but my hair is way too wavy and unless I straighten them every day which i am far to lazy to do, they look awful.

Id say go for the fake ones, at least if you get bored you can just unclip them, growing bangs out is a pita, mine are past shoulder now from above eyebrow and its taken forever.

eta- never took much notice or measured my bangs, they are in fact just past apl hey how did that happen?

Annalouise
January 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I recommend Chris Rock's documentary called "Hair" for those who are into extensions.

I like all the pictures of celebrity styles you posted and I think any one of those would be nice on you. Do you have straight hair? If your hair isn't straight then do not get blunt bangs. Go for side swept bangs or something that can handle your natural curl.

Go to one of those websites where you download your picture and then you can upload different hairstyles onto your face. Then you'll get a good idea. Another thing I do which my husband thinks is hillarious, is I will section my hair as if I was going to cut bangs. Then I'll fold them on my forehead to where I would want the bangs to go, then I pin my hair down with bobby pins. That way when I look in the mirror I can really see what I would look like with bangs. I've done this with bob hairstyles too. It's funny. You should try it.

Anyways, after I've played with my hair for a day I usually get bored of the idea of bangs and forget about it. Think about it for a couple weeks before you decide.:)

McFearless
January 7th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Those are the bangs. :) The color looks different in the first photo because I was silly and set the flash. LOL

They look amazing! I still don't believe they're fake.:p

sedonia
January 7th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I think you look stunning either way, but I was partial to the no bangs photos.

AnnaMarie
January 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Those fake bangs are a really great idea! Otherwise I think you could give it a go and cut some bangs, it will always grow back :D

Fufu
January 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I will think you will look great with side swept fringe. :)

You can carry off without fringe very well too.

kschr2004
January 7th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I think you look good both ways! I second trying some fake fringe first, if you can find a color match. I know from personal experience that it takes forever to grow out bangs once you cut them. Hence why I have had my bangs now for about the last 10 years!

cleanbug
January 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I think you would look great with or without bangs! You have a beautiful shaped forehead; I don't think it's too high at all.

I personally like relatively wispy/thin/longish side bangs ... they would soften the updo like you want but they're also very versatile and easy to style in a way that makes it less obvious you have bangs, when you don't want the bangs to dominate your look.
Like this:
http://shortlonghairstyles.com/images1/2009/08/Jessica-Simpsons-Hairstyle.jpg
http://www.hrhairstyles.com/carrie-underwood-updo.jpg
I love the carrie underwood pic. I think they are actually long enough I could probably pin them in a small poof with bobby pins.

cleanbug
January 7th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Is there any way you can find hair pieces made of real hair that is very close to your natural color? When you next henna, you can leave a bit for that hair piece. Hopefully it will be a close enough match.

As for the issues with greys, I'm not sure if they have hair mascara that matches your hennaed color but I was thinking that you could probably use hair mascara on days that you want to wear the faux bangs. Afterall, I'm assuming that you won't be wearing the hair piece everyday and would probably want to switch up your look once in a while
Hair mascara? is there such a thing? I would love that! I henna every 3 weeks! hair mascara could probably stretch me to 4 weeks. do you know of any brands?

Malibu Barbie
January 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I would leave your hair and try the fake hair. I have never seen bangs before and I'm going to try these!! Cutting is so final for years to come. I think you look great with all the styles. This is a hard choice only you can make. Good luck!!

Lianna
January 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I recommend Chris Rock's documentary called "Hair" for those who are into extensions.

Isn't it called "Good Hair"? I watched a while ago. In another hair forum I went (it was for "women of color", their title) a lot didn't like this documentary, because it made the impression that all of them used extensions.

About the bangs, if you wanna try fake ones, you can get human hair and color them like your color! I'm going to do that when mine arrive. :) :cheese:

Kaelee
January 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I can't see your pics (I guess I don't have permission yet? IDK) but have you considered long bangs? Not the over your forehead kind- the down the sides of your face kind. I have this kind and love them. You can get different looks by parting your hair different ways, and if I want them completely out of my face, I twist them back and pin them on top of my head with a wide bobby pin. :)

cleanbug
January 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM

o you have straight hair? If your hair isn't straight then do not get blunt bangs. Go for side swept bangs or something that can handle your natural curl.

Go to one of those websites where you download your picture and then you can upload different hairstyles onto your face.
.:)
My hair is strait, here's a pic of what it looks like after washing & air drying.
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/cleanbug/lhc_oct8_10jpgw180h259.jpg

I loved Chris Rocks Hair! so interesting.

have you tried TAAZ? its really cool. I'm going to upload some pics soon to my "bangs" album.

jaine
January 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I tried taaz and liked it! It's very useful.

UltraBella
January 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I really like bangs ! My hair is bunned every single day for work and bangs help me look stylish. Mine are nose length, seriously the perfect length ! They are long enough to wear to the side, long enough to pin back, it's so versatile. Mine taper longer on the sides and blend into my face framing layers.

Aveyronnaise
January 8th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I am actually getting some long bangs à la Zoey Deschenel today .I'm excited.I am starting to wear my hair up a lot more as it gets longer and I think all of my hair off of my face , every single day, looks matronly on me.
Basically, I just went through the process of growing them out and it wasn't that bad for me. I just clip them back with something or use a fabric head band.

CiannaitTrozel
January 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I've been growing my hair for six years, without any cuts. It's curly and latley I've gotten kind of tired of it. So last week I decided I was going to try bangs again. I got my hair cut yesterday [just bangs no length] LOVE it! I'm so happy with it. She did a few front layers in the bangs so they frame my face. Pretty cool. About heart attack because it looked like she was cutting WAY to much hair :p

Aveyronnaise
January 8th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I just got back from getting my bangs, and I do love them. I got a few layers around the face too, it looks so much less severe.

pepperminttea
January 8th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I'm not a fan of bangs on me, I'm too lazy for the maintenance of them, but just to say; you look great with or without bangs. Don't feel you have to stick to one option; do what you want to do. :)

Sunsailing
January 8th, 2011, 06:31 AM
You have such a pretty face, that you would look good with any style you choose.

But you do look great without bangs!

sedonia
January 8th, 2011, 06:54 AM

I have had the same issues trying to find hair pieces and clip in extensions. I think red hair is the hardest to match, and hennaed red the very hardest! I finally bought human hair extensions in light brown and dyed them with henna, and they match perfectly!

I just did a search for human hair bangs and several items came up. There is a Jessica Simpson human hair bangs piece that looks really nice, but it is almost $200! it looks like it would blend into the hair really well though. On amazon I found one for $20; it was much simpler -- I'm not sure how natural it would be.

I would love to have some of these fake bangs that matched my hair.

miss_purple
January 8th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Wow, bangs fit you so well! Very adorable!:D

Gabriel
January 8th, 2011, 07:00 AM
If you do go with a fringe, maybe try a longer one like chin length that is not very thick to start with. Cutting more hair is easier but there's no way to make it grow out faster if you find that you don't want to deal with styling a fringe every day. (BIG mistake I made last year!)

My hair dresser even tells me to see how I like the current length and to come back in a few days and get it shorter if I want. She's awesome! I've got very soft chin length bangs this year which I love.

As for a fake fringe - I got this one a few years ago from Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/clip-on-bangs/SASSY11,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH) but I've never worn it outside the house. I matches pretty well I think but I haven't really played with it after my own fringe was cut into my hair.

Lots of folks from here have ordered from Puppycatmeow (thread) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=44052&highlight=puppycatmeow) on Etsy and are very happy with the colors she offers. She has a fringe/bang clip (http://www.etsy.com/transaction/37415377) in set she sells. She appears to have a wide range to choose from and will custom blend them- she even offers a set of swatches to help you choose which I think is pretty cool. ( disclaimer: I've never ordered from her myself but her track record here with other members is good.)

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:11 AM

They do look real! Do they have little fringes along the side to blend in or is it just bangs from the top/front of your face?

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Well, if you did cut them and changed your mind of course it would take quite a while as you already know to grow them out again. I have had bangs for years - I love them and will always have them, and the 'style' of the bangs can change quickly, achieving different looks. If I want, it can also keep me 'current' so to speak. I like the way bangs can frame the face and bring out eyes and cheekbones. Let us know when you decide which way you'll go!!
I agree with you ....i always liked how bangs accentuate my eyes & as I get older (34 now) it just seems that it would soften my features & perhaps keep me looking younger.

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:18 AM
About the bangs, if you wanna try fake ones, you can get human hair and color them like your color! I'm going to do that when mine arrive. :) :cheese:
where did you order from? if i ordered light brown real hair bangs, i could henna them & it would be close to my haircolor. or i could get blond & have really bright red bangs. lol.
i didn't know you could order "real hair bangs".
do tell

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I can't see your pics (I guess I don't have permission yet? IDK) but have you considered long bangs? Not the over your forehead kind- the down the sides of your face kind. I have this kind and love them. You can get different looks by parting your hair different ways, and if I want them completely out of my face, I twist them back and pin them on top of my head with a wide bobby pin. :)
Im sorry you cant see my pics. i have them open to the public but perhaps if you are new, you cant see the public albums either?
i think i will try longish, sideswept bangs first,if i do cut them.i can always go shorter if they are still in my eyes/face.
thanks

Nago
January 8th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I really like bangs. If you don't like them you only have to put them to the back and let them grow.

sarahbrownie
January 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I just bought some false bangs! It's usually about this time of the year where I cave in a cut my bangs, I love them for a month and then I want them grown out again. I went to Ulta because they have the Jessica Simpson Hairdo bangs but couldn't come close to my hair color. The dark brown looked black and the chestnut was too light and all the others had highlights or too much red. I went onto ebay and bought this human hair clip (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Girls-Clip-100-Human-Hair-Extension-Chic-Bangs-/220640425794?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&var=&hash=item79131097d2#ht_9239wt_802)because I'm fearful the synthetic will be noticeable, and it was only $30 and free shipping!

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I really like bangs ! My hair is bunned every single day for work and bangs help me look stylish. Mine are nose length, seriously the perfect length ! They are long enough to wear to the side, long enough to pin back, it's so versatile. Mine taper longer on the sides and blend into my face framing layers.
so when you say nose length, does that mean if you stretch them directly down the front of your face they reach your nose? or if they are sideswept, they hit you on the cheek level with your nose?
the one thing i do remember from the years i had bangs/or was growning out bangs, is that unless they were chin length (long enough to stay hooked around my ears) or just below the eyebrows (short enough to stay out of my eyes) i was pretty miserable.
do you put mousse in yours to keep that length of bangs to the side & out of your eyes? i love how your length of bangs looks but wonder if that would just drive me crazy as they would be long enough to get in my eyes but not long enough to catch behind my ears. especially when i am grooming dogs in the shop.
is this ever an issue for you? having them in your eyes?

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I am actually getting some long bangs à la Zoey Deschenel today .I'm excited.I am starting to wear my hair up a lot more as it gets longer and I think all of my hair off of my face , every single day, looks matronly on me.
Basically, I just went through the process of growing them out and it wasn't that bad for me. I just clip them back with something or use a fabric head band.
ooooh, i love zoey! you'll have to post some pics when you can! i'd love to see them

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:29 AM
You have such a pretty face, that you would look good with any style you choose.

But you do look great without bangs!
thanks! i've got the itch pretty bad....i've been down this road before...got to make a decision soon...its driving me crazy! lol

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I've been growing my hair for six years, without any cuts. It's curly and latley I've gotten kind of tired of it. So last week I decided I was going to try bangs again. I got my hair cut yesterday [just bangs no length] LOVE it! I'm so happy with it. She did a few front layers in the bangs so they frame my face. Pretty cool. About heart attack because it looked like she was cutting WAY to much hair :p
OH, I'd love to see pics! I think I'd be really happy with the decision...hubby is so scared for me to cut any hair so he is dragging his feet on the idea a little.

Locksmith
January 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM
cleanbug, you're lucky enough to have the facial structure to pull of just about anything, IMO. I'm envious! I think you'd look good with a fringe though. What I'd do is start off by cutting in a long one - if you don't like it, you can go shorter. That's what I did when I cut mine in. :)

Coriander, you look fabulous with a fringe! :D

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM
cleanbug, you're lucky enough to have the facial structure to pull of just about anything, IMO. I'm envious! I think you'd look good with a fringe though. What I'd do is start off by cutting in a long one - if you don't like it, you can go shorter. That's what I did when I cut mine in. :)

Coriander, you look fabulous with a fringe! :D
im thinking the same thing. jaw length would give me a nice sideswept look if i wanted it, but long enough, i could bobby pin it back if i wanted the "no bangs" look on some days.thanks

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 08:09 AM
okay, i added pics from TAAZ that show different styles of bangs.
some of them look sort of fake but it gives an idea of what it would be like.
heres a link to the album i created

leoninnu
January 8th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I've been going on and off with bangs for years now. I'm currently growing out two bangs, first are about APL from a time when I decided to thin them out a bit and second are chin lenght from when I decided to get rid of them completely. Now I'm contemplating on cutting again.

Pros are that the scalp around my forehead is more sensitive so I'm not sure if I could even pull the hair on that area back on a bun. Having a fringe means I can keep it open. Also I think it softens my face quite bit (I get called scary very often o.o)

Cons are that my hair has a very strong and stubborn natural middle parting. I have to touch up the fringe constantly to keep it at front.

I might try a very light fringe, just a few strands and see if I can manage with that.

kschr2004
January 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
okay, i added pics from TAAZ that show different styles of bangs.
some of them look sort of fake but it gives an idea of what it would be like.
heres a link to the album i created

I like the long sideswept bangs in picture three. They look very similar to the bangs in pics 1 and 2, but I can visualize them better with long hair because your hair is up in the 3rd pic. They look really good on you!

Lostsoule77
January 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I like pics 1 or 3. They look similar, but less hair in pic 1. That way you get the same look, without cutting so much of your thickness away. That way if you end up not wanting them anymore you don't have so much to tuck away while growing out.

I don't think you need the bangs because you look great without them, but it's a personal decision and if you want them get them. I def. agree with all the previous posters about trying the fake ones first to see if that will satify your hankering. Good luck and show us pictures whatever you decide. :)

spidermom
January 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I think you look terrific without bangs, but if you want bangs - go for it. You can always grow them out when you get tired of them.

I had face framing fringe for a few years because I thought I looked too severe with all my hair pulled back. But everytime I wanted to clean house or garden, I'd use lots of clips to pull all of my hair away from my sweaty face, and ended up letting it all grow out because it's so convenient to be able to easily pull it all back and not have to look for a bunch of little clips (the darn things were SO good at hiding!)

thisischristine
January 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I'm always growing out bangs to some degree! As soon as they get to a point of blending I end up snipping some more in. I wish I could control myself, but my forehead is so lined that I keep thinking I need to soften my face. I have to wash my hair more when I have them as they get greasy.

turquoisebud
January 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I would really think about it first. Bangs do take a long time to grow out (I speak from experience) :p I think you would look good with or without, but I would think about it for a while before taking the plunge. I'm sure you will look great either way! :cool:

UltraBella
January 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
so when you say nose length, does that mean if you stretch them directly down the front of your face they reach your nose? or if they are sideswept, they hit you on the cheek level with your nose?
the one thing i do remember from the years i had bangs/or was growning out bangs, is that unless they were chin length (long enough to stay hooked around my ears) or just below the eyebrows (short enough to stay out of my eyes) i was pretty miserable.
do you put mousse in yours to keep that length of bangs to the side & out of your eyes? i love how your length of bangs looks but wonder if that would just drive me crazy as they would be long enough to get in my eyes but not long enough to catch behind my ears. especially when i am grooming dogs in the shop.
is this ever an issue for you? having them in your eyes?

I usually have them pinned back into a cute little poof when working so they are not in my way, but really my hair has been trained over the years to part where I want and they naturally sweep to the right side, so even down they seldom bother me. I have to put sculpting gel or mouse in them if I want them to lay straight across. Which is a cute look too, so I am glad they are so versatile. Any shorter and I can't pin them back, and longer and they don't look like bangs anymore, just face framing layers.

Coriander
January 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
They do look real! Do they have little fringes along the side to blend in or is it just bangs from the top/front of your face?

http://www.amazon.com/Hairdo-Clip-Bangs-Jessica-Simpson/dp/B002E4YE2U

They have longer parts on the sides so it blends in with the longer parts. :)

TheBluffs
January 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Hi, I have waist length hair now, but when I had BSL, I cut longer bangs (To my chin). Now, the extra pieces can get into the way when I do my hair in braids. If you are planning to go for extra length, stick to clip out bangs. (:

Aveyronnaise
January 9th, 2011, 05:56 AM
ooooh, i love zoey! you'll have to post some pics when you can! i'd love to see them

Hi , I posted them on my profile , because I can't figure out how to post them on the thread from my profile.
And yes I love her too.

cleanbug
January 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hi , I posted them on my profile , because I can't figure out how to post them on the thread from my profile.
And yes I love her too.
awe, i cant see them. i don't see any albums on your profile.
:(

cleanbug
January 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Okay, here's what I did.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7010&pictureid=92911
I like them!

Aveyronnaise
January 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I had it on the wrong setting , it's fixed now .Derrr.

jesis
January 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I looked through your album and i think you look gorgeous with your hair pulled back out of your face.

I chopped my bangs to eyebrow level in September and they were a pain! They would grow out too fast and get in my eyes. I'm a CNA, so I also have to have my bangs out of my face. It was hard to put them up, nothing would work for them! I am now growing them out and they are about to my mouth but I can't wait for the to catch up with the rest of my hair!

leoninnu
January 9th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Okay, here's what I did.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7010&pictureid=92901
I might cut in a few more or shorten them yet but wanted to try this for a few days first.
they dont' really cover my forehead which was the whole point but its a little change.

That looks gorgeous! In my opinion that suits you very well. You don't have anything to cover on your forehead (mine is full of miliums) so that look is just great :applause I think you'll get used to it in a few weeks and it starts to feel just right.

dropinthebucket
January 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Personally, I like the without bangs for you, although both are absolutely lovely!

I know this dilemma. I also keep going back to bangs. I do it because I have a weird hair shape around the forehead - two roundish, c-shaped cowlicky bits on each side. The trick to not having bangs and having it look nice seems to be defeating those cowlicks, and getting the hair to fall down straighter towards the face. When I let the cowlicks have free reign, the hair pulls up and off my face, making me look like I have a receding hair line - hate that! It's a constant tug of war, either bangs, which I have to straighten - or let it grow out, and then hate the cowlicks because I won't straighten longer hair. Sigh. If you're happy with the hairline and don't have to work at it, I would say no bangs, if I had to choose. Especially the one where you have two smaller sections hanging down on each side, that's fab on you! :)

fairy_ends_girl
January 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
here's my side swept bags: they were blow dried straight, this was about 8 months ago.

mrs_coffee
January 9th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I ended up doing the same thing, the side-swept bangs. I had grown them out with the rest of my hair, but I felt like not having bangs aged me for some odd reason. I feel much better with some bangs.

Yours look great!

fairy_ends_girl
January 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Mrs. Coffee, that's how i felt without bangs.. I feel younger with them. They also hide my forehead lines.. It really sucks being over 40 :( To the OP, i also did the Bettie page bang a few months ago that I am growing out now.. I'll look for pics of those to show you. They were very short, very blunt and severe but looked sexy as heck.

kschr2004
January 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Okay, here's what I did.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7010&pictureid=92911
I like them!

I really like this look! If you decide you are ok with these and still want your forehead covered, you can always go shorter later. :)

dawnandxavier
January 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I too have a similar shaped face to yours and had bangs for ever upto finding LHC in 2007. I love bangs but my hair is way too wavy and unless I straighten them every day which i am far to lazy to do, they look awful.

Id say go for the fake ones, at least if you get bored you can just unclip them, growing bangs out is a pita, mine are past shoulder now from above eyebrow and its taken forever.

eta- never took much notice or measured my bangs, they are in fact just past apl hey how did that happen?

that's one major way i frizzed my hair, straitening my bangs.

Lostsoule77
January 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM
The new bangs look really good on you and you didn't have to worry about dying fake ones. I just hope you don't regret it down the line. At least they are long enough to pin back when you want.

cleanbug
January 9th, 2011, 10:00 PM
The new bangs look really good on you and you didn't have to worry about dying fake ones. I just hope you don't regret it down the line. At least they are long enough to pin back when you want.
Thanks! I tried pinning them with bobby pins and it totally looks like they are blended into my hair! best of both worlds. face framing bangs & still can create the illusion that they are all grown in w/ a few bobby pins.

Lianna
January 10th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Sorry for the delay, cleanbug. I also bought mine at ebay, same link someone mentioned. :)

Toadstool
January 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Cleanbug, that looks VERY pretty. :-)

Rebecka_N
January 10th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I think your hair looks great without the bangs. Awesome curls! But if you want to try it, maybe you could wear a clip-on bang and if you have trouble finding a color to match you henna hair. I would recommend you to buy one close to your natural color and then henna it. :)