PDA

View Full Version : Debating a huge cut

Olyve
January 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I last dyed my hair in November 2009, and the length is now mostly the old dye. - Maybe 6 to 7 inches of it.

Would it be easier to cut it out now, a good 6 inches and let it grow? Or wait it out and have two toned hair for a while (a long while)?

I will go from between APL & BSL to SL :hmm: and I wear my hair up most of the time but like it down every so often.

Also, how do I explain to the stylist that my hair bleeds henna (henna hut) and to not freak out!? I have tried oiling it, vinegar rinse and lemon rinse to stop it and it just won't stop!

ETA: I chopped 4 inches off. It's SL but I can tell the difference. My length has no damage and my hair is very happy! I got rid of the dark area for the most part and all of my layers. PLUS I found an awesome salon!

MissCharizard
January 7th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I guess it depends. Are you going for all virgin? Or could hendigo help you out instead of cutting off all the length?

spidermom
January 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
If it were my hair, I'd let it grow with regular small trims. I like two tone.

jaine
January 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM
If you want a gradual change you could trim 1" per month for 6 months. At the end of 6 months your hair would still be much longer than shoulder.

But there are upsides to trimming it all at once - if it were me I would probably do it all in one chop because I like to get it done professionally - and I wouldn't want to pay more than I need to.

Lostsoule77
January 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I would let it grow and slowly cut out the dye. Especially if you wear it up most of the time. The few times you wear it down shouldn't be a big deal. I think it's a personal decision though. I can't imagine having sl hair (haven't had it since I was around 6 or so) and that's my reasoning for this.
If you have no problem having sl and then growing it out again then go ahead. I would at least take some time to think about though. Maybe (if you decide to cut) just cut a couple inches (or less) at a time to see how you feel. That way if you decide you aren't liking the shorter length 'cause you can't put it up, or whatever, you haven't gone too far.

tinywife
January 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I guess it depends. Are you going for all virgin? Or could hendigo help you out instead of cutting off all the length?

I agree, I would probably henna to match my roots.

Olyve
January 7th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Thank you all. After reading, I decided to cut off 3 inches and turn a stylists hand orange. Oops.

It still has some dark ends but it's less than what it was. I had about half my hair black and half deep red, so now it looks like I have black tips on purpose :)

It sits at SL and I am okay with that, I have only two layers about 1/2 an inch apart now instead of a lot of layers. I guess I killed two birds with one stone. :) Hardly any layers and a lot of black cut out.

I also found a salon that is long hair friendly because the stylist asked me about 10 times if she was SURE I wanted to cut off 3 inches. :D

I guess I can join the no trims in 2011 now :cheese:

Lostsoule77
January 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM
If you're happy that is great! Even better that you found a long hair friendly salon (or at least stylist.)

Olyve
January 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I am happy, I measured and she actually took 4 inches- which is okay. She was really scared to cut more like I wanted so I told her to go with what SHE was comfy with ( I was going to do 6 inches) so she settled on only 3-4. She kept commenting on my hair color and how I did it- I told her henna and she was amazed. :)

The whole salon is long hair friendly, the owner is at about tailbone!

It was my first time there and I am so going back, in a year. LOL

Dragon
January 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I am glad you found a good salon and are happy with the results :)

IcarusBride
January 7th, 2011, 10:18 PM
When I decided to quit dyeing, I dyed all the non-virgin hair to match my natural color (or if you are going to continue using henna, then dye it as close as you can to match) then slowly microtrimmed it out, while my hair still continued to get longer, and it was not obviously two-toned either. In my opinion, this is a win-win solution :D

ETA- Just read your update comment, I'm so glad it worked out for you. It's nice to know that there are hair-friendly stylists around!

McFearless
January 7th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I love ombre hair. *shrugs*. Are the 6 inches damaged?

Olyve
January 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I went and cut 4 of the 6 inches off.
They were very damaged from dying it every 6 weeks for 5 years :( I was not educated about hair dye back then.

einna
January 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
you are very brave!
I have been slowly growing out hair dye for over 1,5 years now. I have had some "bigger" trims, but not much really. If I did the same as you now I would have shoulder lenght virgin hair with no layers, so I have thought about it several times. But I can`t bare to loose that much lenght + my ends are not much damaged + I am note sure about getting rid of (all) the layers. Soo, I stay where I`m at ;)

Good luck with growing :)

thisischristine
January 8th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Glad you are happy - I always cry after a haircut! The change scares me lol.

Your colour in your siggy is beautiful by the way. I want to get mine similar over a length of time.

FluffSpider
January 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Had the hair been healthy, I would've advised you to just keep with frequent trims, for the following reason:
Say you lost 3 inches in one shot. Until you grow the three inches out, you will have beaten to submission another half an inch. But by trimming half an inch a month you would have gotten the length+no damaged ends.
But if the ends were damaged as you say, I congratulate you for biting the bullet!:)

Aerith85
January 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I like two tone hair if it was me Id just get trims every so often

Olyve
January 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM
you are very brave!
I have been slowly growing out hair dye for over 1,5 years now. I have had some "bigger" trims, but not much really. If I did the same as you now I would have shoulder lenght virgin hair with no layers, so I have thought about it several times. But I can`t bare to loose that much lenght + my ends are not much damaged + I am note sure about getting rid of (all) the layers. Soo, I stay where I`m at ;)

Good luck with growing :)

Thank you. :) I was okay with the cut, the stylist was the one worried about taking too much off. It was rather cute; she kept asking "Are you SURE?" :)

Glad you are happy - I always cry after a haircut! The change scares me lol.

Your colour in your siggy is beautiful by the way. I want to get mine similar over a length of time.

I cry, but yesterday it was different. Signified a new change in my life which I am going through and a new year; so a new me. (I am going through a divorce and just want 2011 to be about ME :o)

I achieved that color with one henna application of Henna Hut deep red and burgandy. I just went over it with just the red and I am waiting for the sun to come out so I can get a pic of the new color!

Olyve
January 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Had the hair been healthy, I would've advised you to just keep with frequent trims, for the following reason:
Say you lost 3 inches in one shot. Until you grow the three inches out, you will have beaten to submission another half an inch. But by trimming half an inch a month you would have gotten the length+no damaged ends.
But if the ends were damaged as you say, I congratulate you for biting the bullet!:)

I thought about that, but the ends were tangley and just awful. I had been holding on to them for too long. The feel of my hair today, unwashed is better than it was prior to the cut after a wash.

I like two tone hair if it was me Id just get trims every so often
I don't have money for trims every so often, they charge $25(even just for a trim) no matter where you go around here. I still have the two tone look just not as noticeable. I am happy with the cut, although others are taking it pretty hard. :lol: