PDA

View Full Version : No-no dryer woes!

MissCharizard
January 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Am I alone here in saying that I didn't have to give up the hair dryer because I was always way too lazy to blow-dry my hair since childhood? The last time I had my hair regularly blow-dried was under the age of ten when my nanny dried it for me. (Hated it then too, wanted to go play.)

Anyone with me on this? It was so bad that I used to just sleep with on hair loose and wet every night in middle school and my hair was a giant poofball(also called the rat's nest for the way it dried) because I had very thick and very wavy hair.

Gosh I still don't see how people can do it! Of course this is probably the ONLY good thing I did for my hair growing up.

Intransigentia
January 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yup, me too! On top of that, I never really learned to use a curling iron either. So heat damage has never been an issue for me. Instead of giving up heat styling, I gave up feeling like I was underperforming at femininity by not heat styling.

Athena's Owl
January 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I could *not* blowdry my hair. it was a huge disaster! so I airdried my hair all the time.

Kaelee
January 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I never liked hair dryers...I don't like the noise, and I'm too lazy. *lol* Now, I won't do it because I feel it's bad for my hair and I just let it air dry. But I never really gave it up, I just never did it to begin with.

The only time my hair is blow dried is when my stylist does it when she cuts it (I have super stick- straight hair- the kind most women have to flat iron for- and if she doesn't dry it after she cuts it, there's always gonna be something that gets missed.) Other than that, no curling iron, or flat iron, or blow dryer, or hot roller goes anywhere near my hair. :D

Yozhik
January 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Same here! :agree:

I have blowdried (very unsuccessfully) my own hair probably less than 10 times in my life. It always turns out a poofy disaster.

Unfortunately, I did discover curling irons and straightening irons in high school, and used them until halfway through college, so I still do have some heat damage to eliminate. :nono:

vikkimall
January 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I just wash my hair and air-dry since i like the wavy look. If i blowdry it feels dry and too straight.

HintOfMint
January 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I only blowdried regularly in college, and that was only for 3 years. Eventually, I wised up, hacked off my hair, and went cold-turkey on heat styling. Aside from those years, I rarely blowdried my hair, so it wasn't something to get used to.

I always get my hair blow dried at the salon, though, that way they can catch a mistake or unevenness when I'm there.

rena
January 7th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I tried blowdrying just a few times and regretted it...It made my hair soooooo fluffy, frizzy, poofy, *cringe*. I learned right away that the -only- way my hair can dry smooth and nice is tied down and pulled flat within an inch of its life.

Alix
January 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Blowdryers always took way to long for me, I could be doing something more productive while my hair dried, like sleeping.

pepperminttea
January 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Me too! I was one of those kids with a bird's nest for hair. :p Even when I learned to look after it (well, pre-LHC, but when I learned to brush it), I never bothered with hairdryers or heat tools generally. I got a perm in my teens, and on the advice of my hairdresser blowdried with a diffuser on the cool setting, but not every time. I don't see the point of all the faff of it, really, and haven't owned a working hairdryer for several years now. Avoiding the damage it causes is just an excellent excuse. :D

Lostsoule77
January 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I've never owned a blowdryer or curling iron. I just don't have the patience, plus my mom said they were bad for hair. I've used a curling iron randomly in middle school with my friends. And I've had my sister flat iron (& she usually blow dries first) my hair around once a year for the last 2 or 3 years. I just like to see it straight sometimes. Otherwise I just squeeze out the excess water when I get out of the shower and then let it air dry. Or I put it up wet. I love my long hair and how it can be so maintenance free when when you want it to be. Not having to fancy style it to leave it down is one of the perks. Not damaging my hair is another. :)

jasper
January 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I loved my hair dryer for years, but then I got lazy and started leaving my hair to dry on its own most of the time. And then the laziness branched out to the hair cutting department. So my hair got lots longer and drying it with the blowdryer became even more of a chore and I was even less likely to do it.

So, yeah, it isn't as if I swore off blowdrying with any kind of a pang of regret.

Mountaingrrl
January 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I've always airdried. Now I've stopped rubbing my hair dry with a towel, too.

jaine
January 7th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I tried blowdrying just a few times and regretted it...It made my hair soooooo fluffy, frizzy, poofy, *cringe*. I learned right away that the -only- way my hair can dry smooth and nice is tied down and pulled flat within an inch of its life.

Mine too!!!

Dragon
January 7th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I have never used a hair dryer on my self. Once I was practising doing a blow wave on a training head and I singed it’s hair. I hate blow drying hair. My Mum use to blow dry my hair when I was young and it always burned my scalp. She finely let me air dry when older. I started to train to become a hair dresser when I was 16 and every one always wanted to blow dry and straighten my hair as we got free time in the arvo after we washed each others hair as we had to do it a certain amount of times to pass. I hated it but I didn’t no how to say no. It killed my hair. I’ve never had to give it up as it’s only ever been others who’s done it on me. After completing the first certificate for hairdressing, I decided it wasn’t what I want to do as there is to many things I don’t like about it.

firefly42
January 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I never blowdried my hair either because i was afraid of sucking my hair into the intake valve...i had a fear of round brushes as well, lol. And i burnt myself of a curling iron once so that was the end of those for me!

x0h_bother
January 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Stylists don't believe me, but I can never do just a blowout even though my hair is 2a. Then they attempt the blow out and figure out my hair will NOT be straight. What's so bad about wet hair anyway? I leave the house in the morning like that and I'm perfectly fine.

estherbeth
January 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Ugh, I loathed the hairdryer when I was little. Until I was around 12, my mom insisted that she dry my hair in the winter, lest I get pneumonia and DIE. :laugh: I've never been too fond of any sort of heated hair tools, so heat damage has never been an issue for me.

Veer666
January 8th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I only used a hair dyer as a kid. When I went to high school I had my hair cut from classic to shoulder lenght unfortunately... I just let my hair dry to the air or wet bunning (with the short hair it wouldn't stick when I tried to make a bun out of dry hair.
Ofcourse I grew my hair back after a while, but I still almost never use a hair dryer. Only when it freezes more than -10 degrees celsius and I don;t have time to let my hair airdry. I am still afraid my hair will freeze and break....

Most of the time I make a braid when my hair is still wet. This way it stays in a lot longer!

I have used a curling iron about 2 times, but it just didn't work. I could get some curls, but wihtin 5 minutes they were gone....so I never used those again.

Locksmith
January 8th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Nope, me too. My mum used to blow dry my hair after giving me a bath, but not after I was about ten. I've never owned a hairdryer, and never got the hang of using one. I used to just wash it in the morning, and go to school with it loose. By the time I got there it'd be dry. :)

Braidy
January 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I've always been very lazy with my hair. Never used anything to blow, straighten, curl whatsoever. I didn't even use styling products like gel, wax or spray. "Quick wash, quick rub with a towel, quick ponytail and off we go" has been my "hair routine" for years. I always thought that was just me not caring enough about it but it felt good and hairdressers kept on asking me what I did to keep my hair so nice so I didn't see a reason to change my ways. Since I got here I discovered that I got it right all along. The only thing that really changed is that now I wash with conditioner whereas before I washed with shampoo. Apart from that I got more "adventurous" in that I try new up do's and stuff but that doesn't really affect my hair.