PDA

View Full Version : Help with burned scalp

KLin
January 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Help I burned my scalp and around my hairline with cassia oil. :(

Just a two drops with jojoba to smooth back halo with hair in a bun. Then my face and sides of ears started to burn. Looked at self in mirror and could see the skin turning red in minutes.
Jumped in the shower used ACV to try to neutralize the burn. Now my face is red around the hairline and my scalp hurts.

I so hate myself.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Alvrodul
January 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Is this an allergic reaction, or something related to a chemical burn?

I suspect you won't go too far wrong by treating it as an actual burn - washing it off quickly was a good beginning! I would suggest that you continue trying to "cool" the area, perhaps with aloe vera gel, since aloe has a good effects on such.

Intransigentia
January 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
The only suggestion I have beyond the above is, please don't hate on yourself. Not knowing you'd have a bad reaction to something is a pretty blameless mistake.

KLin
January 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I took some liquid benadryl incase it is allergic. I put jojoba oil on my hairline, will try aloe...I can run to my neighbor and cut off a stalk.

My hair has been shedding alot the last month. I am losing thickness. Just trying to keep it healthy. I have been trying to keep it up without elastics, oil and massage my scalp. Now it just hurts.

Anje
January 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
By "cassia oil", do you mean as in cinnamon EO? Both bark and leaf are pretty harsh on skin, and I think they can both be sensitizing. Absolutely you should not use it in anything but a weak dilution, and even then, it's pretty warming. (Think "Lip Venom".) Seriously, be careful with essential oils -- they don't just smell nice.

I would suggest that you start with lots of soap, or lots of oil (jojoba, coconut, olive, etc) to dilute and remove as much as possible that's left on your skin. Then maybe aloe gel (or from a plant if you have one) to help sooth the area.

Alvrodul
January 7th, 2011, 02:30 PM
You might also try a salve containing cortisone - or ask at the pharmacy about what they recommend for burns.

Is the cassia oil an essential oil? You should never put an essential oil directly on the skin, since it can cause reactions such as yours. And if you have any sort of allergy, you should be doubly careful!

I hope you will get better soon! And I also second Intransigentia's statement you should not blame yourself!

cataphract
January 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Calendula gel on burns and irritation. Seems to help it heal pretty fast. If it's inflamed you can also try ibuprofen and rubbing an ice cube on it (careful not to let it get too cold)

christine1989
January 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. I'm not sure about chemical/prduct burns but they sell sprays that cool heat burns at any local pharmacy. When I burned my arm with hot soup burn spray helped a lot as well as mineral oil

KLin
January 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the love.

I thought it would be 'stimulating' and only used two drops. Felt like a burn/allergy. Took benadryl and a nap after the shower. I cut a stalk of aloe and rubbed the juice into my hairline. Very cooling.

spidermom
January 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Ouch! My daughter is so severely allergic to coconut oil that she feels a burning sensation when she gets any on her skin. It's not her fault. It's not your fault, either.

McFearless
January 7th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Aw I'm sorry. I hope you're okay. I second the aloe vera its supposed to soothe the skin. Maybe take an anti-inflammatory?

GhostLocks
January 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
First rinse you hair really well making sure not to irritate the area and then put aloe vera into your hair. I hope this helps and sorry to hear about that it must be painful. If it continues you should probably go see your doctor.

KLin
January 8th, 2011, 07:20 PM
It was a little better today. The redness/burned look to the surrounding skin was gone this morning. Used a neem oil conditioner to saturate my scalp and can only lightly finger comb.
Today was my son's 6th birthday, and I had to host the party. So I was gentle to myself and did not get in any pictures that I know of...