PDA

View Full Version : fading natural redhair :( HELP!

redhead2011
January 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. When I was a kid, I hated my natural red hair which made me different. What kid wants to be different right? Well, now much older and wiser, I realize what a blessing my rare natural red hair is. I wish I could keep the strawberry/copper red color forever, but age is catching up with me! My once pretty red is fading out to a muddy reddish brown with a few white hairs creeping in. I'm thinking about what options I have to refresh/keep my natural red color. My hair is very long, thick, curly/wavey, and coarse. I don't think I could afford a professional color and upkeep. I hear red dye fades quite quickly, so upkeep would mean a full dye and not just a root touch up. This has to be quite damaging to the hair, no? I'm wondering what other less harmful options would be to get a natural looking result. My daugter even said, "oh mom don't dye it red, dyed reds look awful!". I must admit, I've seen some terrible dyed reds in my day =\ So girls, I need you help please!!!! Will hena work to keep my red alive and vibrant? Any other natural less damaging ideas????? Thanks!:confused:

breezefaerie
January 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM
One word for you. Henna.

Please take a look around the boards for the henna threads and pics. And welcome to LHC!

maus
January 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I second Henna! Strong stuff, very permanent. Tons of information in the "Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare" forum....

Calaelen
January 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hi! Welcome to the boards! Henna glossing is where I'd recommend you start, but I would also like to mention green tea rinses.

I know several natural redheads who have used nothing other than a strong green tea rinse after every shower to bring back the fire to their hair. I even know a couple who were accused of colouring after using this natural method to bring out the red.

Henna while being AMAZING in almost every way, might be too dark for the result you're looking for. Not all that green powder is the same, and it would only take one very dark application to ruin your dream colour. It is also very permanent for most, and doesn't lighten easily, or bleach out well at all. That is why I mention henna glosses, which have a much lighter deposit than an actual henna treatment.

Anje
January 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hmmm... I may have to try the green tea rinse thing myself.

In the meantime, from one darkening redhead to another, I'll add a vote for henna. Or more specifically, a henna-cassia blend. If you do henna too many times on the same hair or use too strong a mix, it gets rather dark. That fact snuck up on me.

The "Cassia" I refer to is Cassia obovata, aka Senna italica. The laxative senna powder also seems to work for a lot of people, if that's more available for you. It's a different species, but also seems to have a yellowish dye that can help dilute henna and keep it more coppery/orangey (which we redheads seem to be more interested in).

Arya
January 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hi! Welcome to the boards! Henna glossing is where I'd recommend you start, but I would also like to mention green tea rinses.

I know several natural redheads who have used nothing other than a strong green tea rinse after every shower to bring back the fire to their hair. I even know a couple who were accused of colouring after using this natural method to bring out the red.

Henna while being AMAZING in almost every way, might be too dark for the result you're looking for. Not all that green powder is the same, and it would only take one very dark application to ruin your dream colour. It is also very permanent for most, and doesn't lighten easily, or bleach out well at all. That is why I mention henna glosses, which have a much lighter deposit than an actual henna treatment.

What does a green tea rinse do for natural redheads? Is there a thread on this?

And I was unaware that you could get natural red shades out of henna. Isn't it usually a purpley red as opposed to coppery reds?

skaempfer
January 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM
What does a green tea rinse do for natural redheads? Is there a thread on this?

And I was unaware that you could get natural red shades out of henna. Isn't it usually a purpley red as opposed to coppery reds?

There is a huge range of henna shades. Some are quite natural and it also needn't be kept in for hours so that it becomes very dark. It can be quite a natural, subtile tint. Do check out the henna thread as others have suggested- loads of informed info there!

redhead2011
January 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. When I was a kid, I hated my natural red hair which made me different. What kid wants to be different right? Well, now much older and wiser, I realize what a blessing my rare natural red hair is. I wish I could keep the strawberry/copper red color forever, but age is catching up with me! My once pretty red is fading out to a muddy reddish brown with a few white hairs creeping in. I'm thinking about what options I have to refresh/keep my natural red color. My hair is very long, thick, curly/wavey, and coarse. I don't think I could afford a professional color and upkeep. I hear red dye fades quite quickly, so upkeep would mean a full dye and not just a root touch up. This has to be quite damaging to the hair, no? I'm wondering what other less harmful options would be to get a natural looking result. My daugter even said, "oh mom don't dye it red, dyed reds look awful!". I must admit, I've seen some terrible dyed reds in my day =\ So girls, I need you help please!!!! Will hena work to keep my red alive and vibrant? Any other natural less damaging ideas????? Thanks!:confused:

Thank u 4 the kind replies so far :) Now 4 some ????'s

Okay, so I'm going 4 a natural looking strawberry/ginger (but not flaming orange), a rich red like I was born with. My color is still glistening like that in the light, like a shiny copper penny with strands of red, gold, copper, blonde. I DO NOT want a dark arburn red and I DO NOT want a brassy color.

1. Re: Hena; How hard is it to "henna"? Sorry for my inexperience, but is henna creamy/liquidy like a dye? Where do you purchase it? Does hena come in different colors? Someone said something about "henna-cassia" and "hena-glossing"...what does that mean?

2. Re: Green Tea rinse; Do I just boil a green tea bag? Does this go on my hair after shampoo and conditioner? Do I rinse it out? Sorry again, if these are dumb questions :(

3. Re: Senna Powder; This is a laxative??!! Do I use this alone or mixed with something else? What are the steps? What result will it give me?

4. Re: Color Depositing Shampoos/Conditioners; No one here has mentioned this yet, but someone else told me about "Aveda Madder Root" products. Anyone here use these products? If so, do they work? I checked on-line and they are a little pricey, 30.00 for a liter of the shampoo and 18.00 for 8.5 oz. of the conditioner. I've also hear of "Bumble & Bumble", "Artec", and "John Frieda color glaze". The last of which I've used. I ended up with red tinted hands and scalpe, and a greasy, limp, stringy look to my hair :(.

5. Re: Natural products; Someone told me of a 50/50 mixture of carrot juice and beet juice.....has anyone heard of this or tried it???

Thank you!!

cataphract
January 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM

Back when I was henna'ing, I got much more natural looking results out of it than I did with any chemical dyes. I do, however, happen to have medium-light ash blond hair to begin with so that might be why.

Heartwillfollow
January 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
also remember henna is like a stain and allows light to pass through it, your hair color will have different densities of color every time the light changes... I'm flaming orange in bright light, but a nice copper red when the sun shifts or a cloudy day or indoors... I didn't want to go too dark either so my mix of Cassia henna is very light...

Igor
January 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I think apple cider vinegar rinses are also rumoured to bring red tones out?

There are a lot of different henna mixes, but from I gather you might want to try a henna gloss instead

Try looking around the henna thread

jojo
January 8th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Co washes and ACV both brought the natural coppers in my hair, when it was virgin. A henna gloss would probably benefit your hair more than a full henna if you dont want in your face red and at least with a gloss say 2 tablespoons of henna in some conditioner isnt as red as you want, you can always try a full henna next time. Its easier to go redder than to reduce the red.

Respect henna by starting off with smaller amounts, its a devil to get out if you go too red.

sedonia
January 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Another vote for henna!

Indeed, conventional red hair dyes fade terribly. Even the permanent ones are only semipermanent. When I used them, my hair was constantly fluxing between faded brassy red and bright red.

Read up on henna and think about it, because henna is very permanent. But if you want to boost your red slightly and you have a long-term commitment to being a redhead, henna might be just the thing for you.

The only thing is, it won't lighten your hair. If your natural color is turning *darker* and you long for a lighter red, henna won't give you that.

I have pics in my album of my henna'ed hair if you'd like to look.

edited to add: sorry, I see that you are a new member and so you won't have access to photo albums until you get to a certain # of posts and a moderator changes your status (20 or 25 - can't remember - read the sticky thread on posting privileges).

Anje
January 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Required reading on henna (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7). That should get you started.

The application process is a little trickier than box hair color. We tend to refer to the stuff as "henna mud" for a reason. But it's manageable. So are root touchups. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43082)

smcm1232
January 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Redhead2011 I am like you and a natural redhead and have had the same darkening issue. My hair was a copper red to Strawberry blonde to now a mix of very blonde highlights, blonde and dark blonde with some golden redish tones here and there. I have always had a redish tone and didn't realize how blonde I have become until I held up my henna test balls to my current hair! Wow! lol But yes each henna will give you a different starting tone and will eventually if you keep doing full head applications will all become dark either red or auburn with either brown, copper or purple hues to it depending on which one you choose.

I got a wealth of info on this board as well as Henna for hair and Hennasooq. But most ones I found people have draker hair and I have been trying to get a handle on the hues each one will bring. Ie/ copper, burgundy, brown etc. And from what I read adding Cassia will help with the golden effect. Not sure if that's what I need or not. It is hard when your start color is unique and takes differently everytime you dye :p

I'm looking into the Amla to add to help tone down any orange effect without losing red/copper. But after running around with henna tumbleweeds on my head I am still confused lol Just when I thought I had the mix I did a second test and seemed to come out different! UGH..I really would like to get either a Gillian Anderson red from the x files or Renne russo's color in Thomas Crown Affair. I think Renne's is darker and can build up to that but I love the depth of both and I am getting crazy trying to figure this out! lol I may just wing it with what I have and maybe mix the 2 Hennas I like the most together and see if that will give me shades of both. But then I tought if one takes faster than the other would that just be a waste of money? See what I mean.. Here's Renne: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpBZSzTtfZ90VwEMdv5KU0fL3OzqVoy P5PRpGBoU64apdCJ0jz

Here's Gillian: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.space-fox.com/wallpapers/celebs/gillian-anderson/gillian_anderson_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.space-fox.com/wallpaper/gilliananderson/9007.html&usg=__G9V4L4jrAWhx4ypKZEUs6SictE0=&h=768&w=1024&sz=105&hl=en&start=150&zoom=1&tbnid=kMaS0hI9R-NWyM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgillian%2Banderson%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den %26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D520%26tbs%3Disch: 10%2C2941&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=574&vpy=118&dur=6818&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=115&ty=122&ei=vzUqTfmnDIet8Abqp-36AQ&oei=wTMqTaDaPIyr8AaGjM2ZAw&esq=17&page=8&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:150&biw=1024&bih=520 or this one: http://www.nresimleri.com/photo/Gillian-Anderson75806.jpg

Oh and lastly how many application to get to it! lol Sorry for all the craziness, I understand once you go that dark you can't get back so I am trying to get it right the first time :))