PDA

View Full Version : BS/ACV leaving scalp too oily

angel007
January 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm looking for a natural way to wash my hair, so I started a BS/ACV routine 2 weeks ago. The result: the ends are fabulous, but the scalp is too oily. I like that my hair is so much softer (since it's prone to dryness) but this method doesn't cleanse my scalp the way I was hoping it would. Also, my hair is thin on top so the oil shows faster, even on day 1 of the wash.

Overall, this method is much more soothing to my scalp, there's no dandruff or itch, which I love. But I don't want a greasy top either.

Is there any way I can wash excess oil from my scalp naturally?

spidermom
January 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM
How is baking soda natural? According to Answers.com:

You add salt (sodium chloride) and limestone (calcium carbonate) in ammonia- the limestone is there to produce CO2 gas.

In neutral or basic solutions, sodium bicarbonate is less water-soluble than sodium chloride. When carbon dioxide passes through a concentrated solution of sodium chloride and ammonia, sodium bicarbonate precipitates according to the following chemical reaction:

NaCl + CO2 + NH3 + H2O ---> NaHCO3 + NH4Cl
The ammonia is necessary to buffer the solution at basic pH. Without it, a hydrochloric acid byproduct would render the solution acidic, and in acidic solutions, the reaction cannot proceed. In industrial practice, the reaction is carried out by passing concentrated salt water through two towers. In the first, ammonia bubbles up through the brine and is absorbed by it. It the second, carbon dioxide bubbles up through the brine and precipitates sodium bicarbonate

I like a mild shampoo made with organic ingredients, diluted in warm water, CWC style.

teela1978
January 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Baking soda washes never cleaned my scalp very well either. I prefer a good sulfate-laden shampoo myself.

little_cherry
January 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Have you considered Indian herb washes with soapnuts/aritha? IMO, baking soda is only suitable for clarifying.

angel007
January 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I found the BS/ACV method on LHC described as an alternative to shampoo. I guess I just assumed it was a natural cleanser. Thanks for setting me straight, spidermom.

I will look into the Indian herb/soapnut idea too.

allnaturalboy
January 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, why can't you just use shampoo? I mean, sure, I've experimented with other cleansing methods (mainly out of curiosity and to see what works best for me) but I've never had bad results from a normal shampoo and conditioning routine. Even when I was doing it daily, it worked fine. I was using cones then too and still do sometimes. Now I try to use gentler stuff, but I still do use sulfates. Mainly Nature's Gate and Jason Naturals. Honestly, I'd rather use shampoo than baking soda. My one try at clarifying with baking soda ended horribly with lots and lots of tangles. I throw in a CO every now and again, but I still like my shampoo.

VitisVinifera
January 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I did a lot of reading about no-poo before I started, and I kept seeing the same stories over and over. Around 2-6 weeks into it, people were ready to give up because they were so greasy; I myself looked like I'd taken a dunk in an oil slick right about one month after starting. I say if you really want to stop using commercial products, you just have to push through this stage, keep your hair up, wear bandanas etc. Just try to stick with it and I think you might really enjoy the results! :)

allnaturalboy, I can't speak for the OP, but in my case it was for the same reasons I don't like to use chemicals to clean my house. Why disinfect your counters with something that says 'hazardous to humans and animals' right on it, when vinegar or tea tree oil can do the same thing and is way less harmful? Why clean your scalp with something that can cause blindness?

ravenreed
January 8th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Tea tree oil is hazardous when swallowed, so I would be just as careful with it around pets and young children. I have yet to hear of anyone going blind from regular shampoos. I have gotten shampoo in my eye and regretted it, but haven't gone blind. I got a worse reaction from Dr. Bonners peppermint soap in the eye. Ouch! I couldn't open my eye for 10 minutes.

I did a lot of reading about no-poo before I started, and I kept seeing the same stories over and over. Around 2-6 weeks into it, people were ready to give up because they were so greasy; I myself looked like I'd taken a dunk in an oil slick right about one month after starting. I say if you really want to stop using commercial products, you just have to push through this stage, keep your hair up, wear bandanas etc. Just try to stick with it and I think you might really enjoy the results! :)

allnaturalboy, I can't speak for the OP, but in my case it was for the same reasons I don't like to use chemicals to clean my house. Why disinfect your counters with something that says 'hazardous to humans and animals' right on it, when vinegar or tea tree oil can do the same thing and is way less harmful? Why clean your scalp with something that can cause blindness?