PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a Hat

AspenSong
January 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM
All my life, I've always Heard that wearing a hat too much causes your hair to thin - so with that, I ask this - Is it okay to wear a hat? I ask because I'm thinking for a longer period of time.
Frankly, at the moment I'm tired of wearing a braid, I have so much trouble getting my hair into a bun without pulling or yanking hair or hear ing that dreaded "snap" sound when one hair gets caught between a finger and breaks, plus I'm currently hairstick disabled because I'm not skilled enough at using them to get them to work well with my hair....and I've used my huge clamshell shaped clip to the point it's breaking. So I'm wondering about the hat because I've got a satiny material lined paperboy cap that I can get my hair up under and I'm considering just wearing it or getting a couple more, and "doing my hair" like this for a while. But, if it's going to suffocate my scalp and bald me, I def won't do it. lol

Madora
January 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Wearing a hat is all right, provided you remove it from time to time to let the scalp breathe.

As for your bun problem, instead of trying to bun all of it into one bun, why not try sectioning your hair?

Make a part from ear to ear. Take all the hair above the part, detangle gently. Then twist the hair gently until you have a coil, then form the coil into a bun, pinning as you go.

Take the remaining hair and coil around the bun already in place.

You can also divide the remaining hair in 2 sections, braid each section, then pin one braid counterclockwise around the already made bun, and pin the other braid clockwise. Then you can add a hairstick as an adornment.

Purdy Bear
January 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Iv not heard of hair thinning with hats, but I guess it can be the same as traction problems.

I would say measure your head around the widest part and make sure the hat you get is the right size for it. Iv found Ebay to be great for hats that are sized. Too tight a hat can give you a throbbing headache, so not good.

Another thing is to watch out what they are made of, as straw scratches very badly. I go for hats that are lined with a satin so it doesnt scratch my bald head (alopecia).

LaurelSpring
January 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I have wondered about this myself actually. I dont know the answer but will be curious if anyone else does.

AspenSong
January 7th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Wearing a hat is all right, provided you remove it from time to time to let the scalp breathe.

As for your bun problem, instead of trying to bun all of it into one bun, why not try sectioning your hair?

Make a part from ear to ear. Take all the hair above the part, detangle gently. Then twist the hair gently until you have a coil, then form the coil into a bun, pinning as you go.

Take the remaining hair and coil around the bun already in place.

You can also divide the remaining hair in 2 sections, braid each section, then pin one braid counterclockwise around the already made bun, and pin the other braid clockwise. Then you can add a hairstick as an adornment.

I've tried sectioning a few times...I probably need more practice, but when I did it looked just flat out sad. lol. And I'm not sure what to do about pinning my hair either, if there's some more gentle pins to use, because any I've used, tear my superfine hair something terrible, no matter how super gentle I try to use them.

I'm trying to embrace my fine, super tiny and delicate strands of hair...but times like this they just leave me flustered!

Madora
January 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I use 3 inch crimped hairpins from Sally's Beauty Supply.

As for the pinning, pin the bun in the 4 directions (north/south/east/west).

To pin securely yet comfortably, weave the hairpin by sticking in the outside edge of the bun, then move it in an up and down way through the bun. If you just insert it w/o weaving, the hairpin will fall out. You have to "weave" it thru the bun. I usually need more than 4 hairpins because I have a lot of hair, but I'm a fanatic on hairstyles that hold but are also comfortable to wear all day.

ddiana1979
January 7th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Pretty AnntioNet's sells silk hats (http://prettyanntoinets.com/category_15/Hats.htm). I haven't tried one yet, but it's on my "to buy" list because I think they're pretty darn cute & would be really gentle on hair.

Malibu Barbie
January 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I wear hats all the time.. When I'm between washing and doing anything that needs my hair out of my face. I have done this for years. Baseball hats, paper boys ect. They keep my hair out of my face when I play drums.

Igor
January 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
All my life, I've always Heard that wearing a hat too much causes your hair to thin - so with that, I ask this - Is it okay to wear a hat? I ask because I'm thinking for a longer period of time.
That’s a silly, untrue myth coming from the observation that around the time men join the army and wear the hat or helmet, a lot of them will (naturally!) start losing their hair.

jojo
January 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM
well i wear hats all the time and iver never heard of this myth or experienced thinning due to wearing a hat. In fact I get my best growth spurts in colder weather, which I put down to wearing a hat as it protects it and keeps my head warm.

TheBluffs
January 10th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Does anyone know a certain material in the hat that could make you lose hairs? D: