PDA

View Full Version : Best "exotic" hair dye out there (pinks, purples, etc)

2vette2camaro
January 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
It has been a LONG time since I have been on but I am asking for the experts advise on the best, longest lasting exotic hair color dye on the market.

I love the pinks the best and from my experience "Splat" that Walgreen's sells does NOT last, Manic Panic does NOT last and so far Special Effects has lasted the longest.

I am having a hard time finding a certain pink made by Special Effects so I figured now would be the time to ask the experts- pics too if you have them.

I see several brands on Ebay that I know nothing about- Berina/Lolane, Hot Topic, Miracle, Fantasy and Stargazer. If anyone could help, I would be forever grateful.

09robiha
January 7th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Directions isnt bad and I have heard good things about crazy colour and pravana :)

akka naeda
January 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I use Directions and have done for years.
The purple I use is Plum, it's a nice dark, long lasting colour (as in a couple of months!) and will take even on my unbleached white hair (although the colour isn't as good as if I'd bleached first).
Flamingo Pink (?) is also good on bleached hair, I haven't tried that on my white hairs so I don't know how it would take on unbleached hair.
Contrast that with the dark blue which needed redoing every couple of weeks and doesn't take on unbleached white hair, fades to grey.
Presently I have a dark green which is fantastic on bleached hair and great on unbleached white hair.

stinamoo
January 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM
For pinks - Special Effects Atomic Pink, for sheer staying power. That stuff does not come out!

I find most colours like Directions, Stargazer, Manic Panic etc aren't too great because they're fairly low-pigment compared to Special Effects dyes, so even though they can be a little more expensive you're paying for the amount of colour in it. Blues/greens are much more difficult to maintain than the pink/red/orange side of the spectrum.

2vette2camaro
January 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, Special Effects Atomic Pink IS the color I am looking for that all of Ebay is out of. So I thought I might find another good brand. I just redyed yesterday with Special Effects Cupcake Pink which is what Atomic Pink will eventually fade to so Atomic Pink is the best buy for the longevity.

1953Diygal
January 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Pravana Vivids is the longest lasting one I've tried. Hands down.

spidermom
January 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I've tried Punky Rose-Red; it lasted 12-16 weeks. It was magenta at first but faded to pink. (I have an album "fantasy color")

p3_Arme
January 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'm purple :) which I love.

The brand I use is Schwarzkopf Live Color XXL No. 46
In case anyone is interested, this is their colour list.

ABSOLUT PLATINUM 00
HYPNOTIC RED 37
COSMIC BLUE 90
CYBER PURPLE 46
DEEP BLACK 99
MYSTIC VIOLET 87
RED PASSION 43
RED NIGHT 48
RED BLACK 96
HOT CINNAMON 50
COOL SCARLET 51
ICE BLONDE 01
REAL RED 35
BITTER SWEET CHOC 89

luxepiggy
January 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, Special Effects Atomic Pink IS the color I am looking for that all of Ebay is out of. So I thought I might find another good brand. I just redyed yesterday with Special Effects Cupcake Pink which is what Atomic Pink will eventually fade to so Atomic Pink is the best buy for the longevity.

It's still in stock here:
http://www.grungerags.com/Atomic_Pink.html

You can even buy it in bulk (3 bottles at a time) here:
http://rockstarretail.com/product_info.php?cPath=151&products_id=1235&osCsid=ph44tlci3bkecce4uguc9nsad5

(^(oo)^)v

aggie_deirde
January 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I've been using crazy hair colors by rainbow.Not very pleased with it,but it's the only blue I can find over here :(

2vette2camaro
January 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Can anyone compare Special Effects lasting power to the other brands?

Sagi1982
January 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I heard that Stargazer should last longer than directions or manic panic. But I didn't try it... maybe I do this year.
Edit: has someone tried dyeing with Kool Aid?

2vette2camaro
January 7th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Yes I have tried dying with Kool-aid (it didn't work on my super blond hair) and I have tried dying with beet juice- it didn't work at all.

Manic Panic gave pretty color but didn't last, Splat gave awesome color when 1st put on but when you got in the shower, it all completely came off.

I just bought the Pravana Vivids that someone suggested- I had never heard of that brand so I will give it a try.

I bought the silver (been wanting to do silver/gray FOREVER) and could never find the color and I bought Violet. So I'll compare to the others I have tried.

THANK YOU and keep the comments coming!

2vette2camaro
January 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I've tried Punky Rose-Red; it lasted 12-16 weeks. It was magenta at first but faded to pink. (I have an album "fantasy color")

What brand was this you are referring to?

Sagi1982
January 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the quick response! :D
I had thinked about over-dyeing my (chemically dyed) black hair with Kool Aid for new shades...
but thanks to you I'm saving the money for (imported) beverages and will buy "normal" green dye... :cheese: