PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take....People's stories to help motivate me

yellowflower
January 7th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Ive stopped dying my hair all I can see is 1cm of new hair, I stopped dying December, how long will it take to grow out? Anyone else in same position. I dont really like the colour, everyone says its really nice but I just want to know what my natural colour is, it seems to be taking forever.

How long did it take people to see difference in growing out? As in more there own hair than dye? My hair is at aboout shoulder and curly. Feeling really rubbish about it today.... Need some support that there is light at the end of the tunnel and it will grow out hopefully soon, can I hear some people stories to help motivate me, any pics would be great to see to.

chrissy-b
January 7th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Honestly, it just depends on how fast your hair grows. Once you get a couple of inches of your natural growth, you can dye the length to match so you won't have a two-toned head.

julliams
January 7th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Start taking a photo in the same position, on the same day, each month. Over time you will be able to work out exactly how long your hair grows each month. For me, I have to measure at the bottom but you have the advantage of being able to measure from your scalp which means you will have a pretty accurate measurement each month. This way you will be able to calculate exactly how long it will take to get to your goal.

Stick with it, be patient and it will happen.

reverie24
January 7th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I have dark brown hair and have been dyeing it reddish brown since last February-I stopped in October so now I have a bit more than an inch of brown hair, and the rest of the red is fading and getting more brown, but there is still a pretty big difference between my roots and ends.

My sister has brownish blonde hair and used to dye hers much brighter blonde-as it grew out it looked so beautiful actually, going from dirty blond getting lighter at the ends-but unfortunately, I don't think growing out my dye will look as good! Here's hers, I had to blur out her face but now it looks creepy haha.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/reverie103/hair.jpg

Well, I think you just have to wait until it completely grows out, which will take forever. :) Either it will blend together and look nice, or you just have to keep trimming off the dyed as the non-dyed hair comes in. I'm just going to leave mine and see what happens.
I recommend wearing your hair up so you can't notice the two shades, or maybe you'll get lucky and it will give it a nice pretty ombre effect.

Vorvolaka
January 7th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I'm in the same position. My hair is red but my natural colour is blonde. I have about 2-3cms of growth. I'm just waiting for the new growth to get long enough and then I'll probably dye it as close to my natural colour as possible.

Okay, so the dye will no be particularly good for my hair but, honestly, being two-toned for the next several years doesn't appeal to me at all.

reverie24
January 7th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Because I've sworn off dye, I seemed to have forgotten you can also dye the length to match! :)

yellowflower
January 7th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I have dark brown hair and have been dyeing it reddish brown since last February-I stopped in October so now I have a bit more than an inch of brown hair, and the rest of the red is fading and getting more brown, but there is still a pretty big difference between my roots and ends.

My sister has brownish blonde hair and used to dye hers much brighter blonde-as it grew out it looked so beautiful actually, going from dirty blond getting lighter at the ends-but unfortunately, I don't think growing out my dye will look as good! Here's hers, I had to blur out her face but now it looks creepy haha.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/reverie103/hair.jpg

Well, I think you just have to wait until it completely grows out, which will take forever. :) Either it will blend together and look nice, or you just have to keep trimming off the dyed as the non-dyed hair comes in. I'm just going to leave mine and see what happens.
I recommend wearing your hair up so you can't notice the two shades, or maybe you'll get lucky and it will give it a nice pretty ombre effect.

How quickly did it take your sister to get to this stage?

I am not worried about the two tone effect I dyed it dark back in October, but the hairdresser did it way to dark, darker than my natural colour it looked so fake. I had grown it out for about 8months and had about 4inches of new hair. Now I am back to the begining again having lost 8months which is really annoying, its dyed blonde/brown now as I really hated the dark, now my hair is not in great condition at all.

Im having it trimmed in a few weeks and plan to get a trim every 8 weeks, its just on my shoulders. I wouldnt mind if in a year it was grown out but I have a feeling it maybe longer than that..... :rolleyes:

I just wondered how long it took others to get to should length when growing out dye so I have a rough idea of how long I have to wait....

Johanna
January 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I stopped dying my hair two years ago now. Within about 6 months I could start to see what my natural colour was becoming. I hated the akward 1 year growth mark. I thought it looked horrible on my hair.
Now that I'm at about the 2 year mark its blending in so well. My natural hair is down to my shoulders and it feels so soft and silky. It does take a lot of will power. I nearly buckled a few times in the first year.

klcqtee
January 9th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I didn't like my hair as it was first growing in, but it's better now, and the longer it gets, the more I appreciate the health of it, if not the colour as well. I stopped dying my hair in April of 2010. I now have about 3 inches of virgin hair. It's down to the bottom of my eyes when pulled forward. I know that sounds like a long time, but it really wasn't. Time flew by, and my hair has faded quite naturally, and it now transitions beautifully from mousy brown, to auburn, to caramel.

Igor
January 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I just wondered how long it took others to get to should length when growing out dye so I have a rough idea of how long I have to wait....

Bald to brushing my shoulders took me about a year and a half

Track your monthly growth and you can calculate it pretty accurately for yourself. It’s actually very calming that you calculate how long it will be in the future and when you can reach your goals. It gives you a target and a target time and can keep your determination up if you need it

rags
January 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM
From stopping the dye to shoulder length was right at two years for me.

xoxophelia
January 9th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I would guess you are looking at about 2 years if you keep the length at your shoulders the whole time. Another option would be to eventually cut your hair a bit shorter though so you get rid of the dye faster. That may not be worth it to you though depending on how severe the color difference is.

yellowflower
January 10th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Thanks,

Looks like it will be about 18months untill completly out I reckon, as my hair is curly and currently just sits on my shoulders.

I hate the colour it is near the top as I went from dark to blonde in 2months and I just want the top bit to grow about 4inches so that when its in a pony tail I wont really be able to see it. Roll on next 3months thats how long it should take roughly.

I so will not dye it, even when I have a bad hair line, I had such a bad time going from dark back to blonde I dont want a hairdresser come near me as in between going from dark to blonde it was brassy/orange for about 2 weeks.

Its in the worst condition EVER due to all bleaching and bleach ontop of bleach. I really dont trust another hair dresser to dye it again.

Ive been taking biotin and changed my diet LOADS, to incorporate more fish and protein.