PDA

View Full Version : Lateness due to Hair Creations

LaurelSpring
January 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I have fallen into a bad habit it seems. Well its been happening for a little while now actually but Im trying to get better.

If I have to go somewhere I usually start to plan and visualize how I want to wear my hear beforehand. Sometimes I come up with something unique or something I havent tried before.

Next thing I know I am knee deep in this hair creation and its not cooperating. Then I usually have to start over and then loose track of time but I get determined to master it and I dont want to give up and then I end up being late and have to hustle. Last week I went out with a slightly lopsided hair taping because I refused to take it down after so much work and start over and I had to leave to make my appt.

I dont know why I tend to undertake these lofty projects when Im on a time schedule! I was wondering if anyone else had this problem also.

jasper
January 6th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I haven't been late but that's only because I have an over active punctuality gene. I have been delayed by hairdo ambition and got off to a later start than I wanted some mornings. But as my internal early bird gets me to work an hour early most of the time, that's usually no big deal. But generally, hairdo ambition does not win out and if something gets tricky and my hair won't cooperate, I switch to a lazy wrap bun and call it good.

Macaroni
January 6th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Nope, I'm the exact opposite. I do my hair first, before makeup and dressing, and no brand new styles before an appointment.

see_turtle
January 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I tend to just twist it up and use a claw clip or make a sock bun because I know I can do these styles quickly and somewhat (as closet as my hair will let me get) neatly. Before work is a bad time to try new styles for me because I am a perfectionist and will keep re-doing til I like how it looks. This gets time consuming. If I'm going to a party or something I'll spend more time though.

Malibu Barbie
January 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I do this also, I start an hour earlier just because I was tired of always being late.

Lostsoule77
January 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I tend to always be rushing to things to get there on time 'cause I am a procrastinator, even with getting ready, and I used to do my hair about last. Now I do it first and if I don't have time for makeup or contacts (both of which I rarely wear anyway) oh well, I'd rather be wearing glasses and have my hair look nice, and be some what on time! (Wow that was a long run-on sentance!) LOL If I'm planning to try something new I practice it at least the day before and if I can't get it then I go to a back up the day of.

ravenreed
January 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I try not to do anything new unless I have time to mess around. Otherwise I spend 45 minutes attempting some updo only to take it down in frustration and do my regular old nautilus anyway.

Madora
January 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM
When I was working I kept the experimenting with new styles to the weekends, when there were no deadlines to bother with. Experimenting is trying enough, w/o having to deal with time issues!

QMacrocarpa
January 7th, 2011, 07:53 AM
The last time I went out with "experimental" hair, it started falling apart on me and I had to retire to the ladies' room partway through brunch to take down my hair and put it back up in a tried-and-true way. I felt pretty silly, so my new resolution is to try any new do at home, preferably giving it at least a few hours (if not a full day) to prove its reliability before it goes into the public eye. :eye:

spidermom
January 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I save experimentation for days when I don't have to be anywhere (most of the time).

Fiordiligi
January 7th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I am totally with the OP on this. Last time I had a big night out, I was so careful: tried to find a style that was appropriate, practised it, made sure I had plenty of time. When the time came, I was all fingers and thumbs, made myself late, and the back started coming unpinned at the tube station on my way to meet my friends.... Ho hum.

Magdalene
January 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I leave my hair for last, so how complicated it gets is entirely dependant on how much time I have.

squintinschool
January 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I'm not usually late because I'm experimenting, I'm late because of my perfectionist tendencies. This morning, I did two lace Dutch braids into an English braid (its my Christmas) and was very nearly late for mass, not because it was a complicated or new updo, but because I kept fiddling with it and redoing it because it wasn't quite right.

LaurelSpring
January 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I'm not usually late because I'm experimenting, I'm late because of my perfectionist tendencies. This morning, I did two lace Dutch braids into an English braid (its my Christmas) and was very nearly late for mass, not because it was a complicated or new updo, but because I kept fiddling with it and redoing it because it wasn't quite right.

Sometimes even the simplest things for me can turn wacky. Its so hard to give up on a do when I get it in my mind thats what I want for the day. I do need to save the experimental ones for other days though.

jojo
January 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I am the opposite I am always the person who is early. weekends is experiment time for me or on my days off.

Masara
January 9th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I try out new updos on my days off so I know how long they'll take and if they'll hold (this is important for me)
If I'm planning a more complicated updo in the morning, I'll make sure I start it earlier than usual.

At least in theory...

Sometimes I've allowed enough time but my hair won't cooperate; braids are uneven, I miss a strand and don't realise until the end, it's off centre, too high/too low, the ponytail elastic is visible.... So I start again and again, until I'm satisfied. I can see the clock ticking and the best thing to do would be to give up and do a quick lazy wrap or cinnabun. But no, I plough on.

I'm never late for work, because I will eventually give up and do a quicker or easier updo if I have to (although I leave it to the last minute) But my life would be easier if I wasn't such a perfectionist