PDA

View Full Version : henna...should I or shouldn't I?

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I have been reading a ton of info on this lately, and I do like red hair. My current hair color is natural, but a strange mix of colors which can be seen in my album pic. (have not figured out how to include pics in posts:o) My hair starts out dark, lightens to reddish blonde as it gets some length, and the ends are ultimately sun lightened to blonde. (Florida sun maybe?) I like the protection aspects of the henna, and could use the extra strength it provides. My goal length is classic, and anything I can do to get it safely there works for me. I do not want to look like a bright orange, but a deep copper or light auburn would be nice. I have no experience with henna, so, I'm asking your opinions and going from there :) my photo link is below, and the pic was taken this morning ;) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6998&pictureid=92597

Olyve
January 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM
My hair does what yours does, my roots are a medium brown, my length is a light brown with lots of subtle blond and red highlights/lowlights then my tips/hemline is a dark blond. I have always loved red hair, dyed it once a bright red (similar to a cherry) and loved it; however it faded to an ugly orange and I stuck to browns with hints of red in them. Brown dyes always faded to a coppery red in my hair and I adored it.

It took me a long time to decide if I wanted to henna or not but after reading the henna threads (Every.Single.Post), I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I am so happy with the color, look and feel of my hair right now; I can't even explain it!

I have only done one full application (henna hut deep red/burgandy mix) and am waiting to do another full application when my Henna Hut red gets here!

I think henna is great as long as you love red/coppery hair, are okay with a result that may not be ideal and permanent and enjoy the looks you get from some people. ;)

spidermom
January 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Natural mid-level blonde here. I did one application of henna more than 10 years ago (completely cut out by now). It looked orange in the sunlight and brick indoors - really hideous! Plus my hair had a grainy feel and seemed more brittle at first, although that mellowed out over a couple of weeks.

Never again.

Anje
January 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Get a hairball and some henna and start experimenting. If you don't like orange, I highly recommend strand testing a bit before putting henna on your head. Make sure you give the strand a few days to achieve its final color after hennaing, too, since the initial color is invariably oranger than the final results.

(For those who like orange, I suggest cutting henna with cassia and not setting their hearts on that initial glowing color they see when their hair first dries!)

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Olyve- I love your color! I could very easily get used to that, or even a more coppery red. I'm just afraid of having to go through a sunkist orange phase to get there. I read a few threads that stated one needs about 3 henna treatments to achieve desired colors like yours..I hope not! So, I humbly ask your secret ;). Spidermom, I envy your color as well, I used to be a true blonde before I had kids...it got darker with each baby, and after moving to Florida, I laugh at these "multi-tonal" coloring commercials you see on tv here, Florida sun does that to me naturally, another reason I'm interested in henna, I don't want it to fade out in this sun.

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Anje- I think that's a good idea, as my hair takes extremely well and quick to coloring. When I was 18 on a bet I died my hair blue/black, which wasn't supposed to "take" until at least 30 minutes. (from a box dye), well, in like 12 minutes there it was, horrendous looking on me, and it took forever to get out. I looked very strange with black and blonde hair, luckily for me at the time I lived in Pittsburgh and was a Steeler fan, so I had an excuse :p

Olyve
January 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Olyve- I love your color! I could very easily get used to that, or even a more coppery red. I'm just afraid of having to go through a sunkist orange phase to get there. I read a few threads that stated one needs about 3 henna treatments to achieve desired colors like yours..I hope not! So, I humbly ask your secret ;). Spidermom, I envy your color as well, I used to be a true blonde before I had kids...it got darker with each baby, and after moving to Florida, I laugh at these "multi-tonal" coloring commercials you see on tv here, Florida sun does that to me naturally, another reason I'm interested in henna, I don't want it to fade out in this sun.

I used Henna Hut henna instead of "regular" henna, I was scared of the orange that could happen because my hair likes to be orange.
Henna Hut has premixed henna they call henna hair dye. I did half and half of deep red and burgandy - which both have indigo in as well, so my hair is darker and the red is only noticeable in the sun or bright light. I still have some tweaking to do to get it the color I want but I love the result no matter what as it was my FIRST application.

There is a thread all about it here (http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48363).

If you are worried about what it may look like, as Anje suggested, order the henna you wish to use and do a strand test first before plopping it onto your head and then having something you dislike.

geosangel
January 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I'm really liking their copper color...I'm thinking I might give that a whirl and see how it goes...thanks so much!!

Olyve
January 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You are welcome. Good luck and remember if you decide to do it-- we like pictures ;)