PDA

View Full Version : Shedding when oiling

DeaBellona
January 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I've been using virgin olive oil on my hair for a while now and I've just noticed that I shed rather a lot of hair when I'm doing it. I barely shed at all when combing or washing my hair. Just wondering if this shedding is normal or whether I should stop oiling.

Veer666
January 6th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I don't have that problem...Do you oil only your hair/lenght or also your scalp?

WaitingSoLong
January 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I notice the same thing. I watched it closely and I am just shedding more at oiling time than the other times. It is still the same amount coming out weekly. The oil loosens hairs that are ready to fall out anyway and the process of oiling (combing hands through hair) loosens, too. I have actually come to see it as a cleansing time to get all those shedding hairs out.

DeaBellona
January 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks, thats a relief, the oiling makes my hair lovely so I didn't want to have to stop.
I mainly oil my length but a little goes on the scalp.

aggie_deirde
January 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I've noticed that too.I hope what WaitingSoLong said it's true!

spidermom
January 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I keep oil away from my scalp because it produces plenty of sebum. When I notice the hair at my scalp is getting oily, I oil the length, then wash an hour to a day later. There is some evidence ktani has presented that leads me to think the oil benefits your hair most when it's present during the washing process - water and shampoo open the cuticle enough for the oil to penetrate. I don't like oil on clean length because it attracts dust and lint, which causes tangling, and untangling causes damage, so I'd rather not go there. Anyway, I don't notice increased shedding during oiling, but I do notice it during washing.

WaitingSoLong
January 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I keep oil away from my scalp because it produces plenty of sebum. (edited for length)
There is some evidence ktani has presented that leads me to think the oil benefits your hair most when it's present during the washing process - water and shampoo open the cuticle enough for the oil to penetrate. I don't like oil on clean length because it attracts dust and lint, which causes tangling, and untangling causes damage, so I'd rather not go there.

OH this makes sense! I only recently started washing with oil shampoo (50/50) and it is AMAZING. Nothing like oiling my hair when it is dry. I now use leave-ins instead or a shine serum. I totally agree! Thanks for the insight!