PDA

View Full Version : Will I lose my curl if I go to all one length?

julliams
January 6th, 2011, 05:58 AM
My hair has been layered with long layers for most of my adult life so I don't really know what it will be like all at one length. I always thought I had a long "s" wave pattern meaning that I needed length in order for the hair to wave. What I have noticed however is that as my hair is lengthening, the curls which are at the bottom, just seem to be moving down. So I'm wondering if the only reason I have curl is because of my layers.

Here are photos of the last year of my hair. All these pictures are shamooed, conditioned and then air dried with a leave in conditioner only. There is no manipulation at all other than a comb through when wet. I don't scrunch or anything like that. I'm showing only every few months because otherwise there are too many. In the first four photos I had only just joined LHC and was trying out cones vs no cones and all that jazz so my hair behaved rather unusually. You can see that after my trim, my hair curled better and has been alot happier. I had developed a better routine then I think too.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5330992729_b2f8386552.jpghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/4663202460_319c9869ab.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4662588699_a8473ef05f.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4662601489_ec69c555e0.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4663232204_d9a1208e49.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4756537623_6bdf3af1c6.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5049626787_0accd1f22b.jpghttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5326538490_104fcecd2a.jpg

I really like my curls/waves and I hope they are not just a "symptom" of the haircut I have at the moment. I'm worried that I will lose them when try to get my hair all to one length. Does anyone have any insight as to what I might expect from their own experience? Am I doomed to have layers all my life if I want waves? I had been hoping to do some cool updos once my hair is all one length but I do wear my hair out often.

emsahib
January 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Don't have any clue but just wanted to say how beautiful your hair looks. Have you started evening out the layers? I don't think they're that noticeable. Your hair also looks like its thickened out the more its grown :)

inty
January 6th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I do notice that on last photos your curls/waves seem to concentrate themselves near last 10 inches of your hair. I don't know if it has to do with the layers. I think it could be related to the fact that upper part of your hair is stretched/weighted down a bit by the lower part. The lower part itself has less weight to carry so it is curlier. Hmm.. not sure if that makes sense. But if this is the case, then layers or no layers does not matter: the part which has less weight to carry will be always curlier, and yes, with the length gained, the curly part will travel down. Just a theory though :)

This way or the other, your hair is absolutely beautiful :blossom:

PS I am growing out my layers because my hair is not so thick, and I need more bushy-ness :) And I also notice that effect a bit as it becomes longer...

einna
January 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
you have such beautiful hair!

From my own experience, I get more waves (almost curls sometimes), depending on my cut. More layers most often equals more waves, but it does needs a certain lenght. When I had BSL hair all at one lenght it got straighter, but then again my hair was bleached, ignored and it was a long time ago... What worked for me was actually just a liiittle bit of layers, to help the waves form.

But it seems to me that you have more waves in the lenghts than before, even if the curls are moving down, so that must bee a good sign :)

GoddesJourney
January 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM
The texture of your hair is like my friend's. It is both wavy and curly. Hers is usually much curlier at the ends because it is not weighed down by the length. I think you will always have curls at the ends. What layering does for you is it moves some of the ends up a little higher so that you can have curls at that length, too.

Rocket22
January 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Not sure but your hair is beautiful!!! Did you change things up in the April months and on because it looks sooooo soft and shiny! Great progress I think your curl pattern is perfect.

ps.. your November says 2010 think that should say 2009 :)

bunzfan
January 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I had hair your length about 15 years ago and a similar texture to and i can tell you the longer it got the curlier/wavier it got it seemed to need length to show its curl patten. Oh and your hair is beautiful and boy has it grown i gasped when i saw the last two pictures:)

lupiae
January 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I don't think you'll loose your curls. But are you sure you want to have it one lenght? I think that for you hair light U shape is perfect. Think about it.

Anyway your hair is really nice, the texture is lovable and looks very heathy.

Kaijah
January 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
The texture of your hair is like my friend's. It is both wavy and curly. Hers is usually much curlier at the ends because it is not weighed down by the length. I think you will always have curls at the ends. What layering does for you is it moves some of the ends up a little higher so that you can have curls at that length, too.

This exactly. The ends will always be curly if you're a curly, but the higher lengths will probably stay straighter from the extra weight (though some people get curlier all over as they get longer... ha). No one can definitively say since it's so individual, though.

Rain
January 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Why go to all one length? Long layers work great with waves and curls.

Nera
January 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
No, you will not lose curl

Photokissa
January 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Like others have said, I think that your curls will stay but mainly at your ends. I'm a 3a (mostly) and the only thing my hair really needs to get and stay curly is length. Your hair is lovely!

julliams
January 6th, 2011, 03:51 PM
[quote ps.. your November says 2010 think that should say 2009 :)[/quote]

Whoops - yes you are right - will change that now!!!!

julliams
January 6th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I don't think you'll loose your curls. But are you sure you want to have it one lenght? I think that for you hair light U shape is perfect. Think about it.

Anyway your hair is really nice, the texture is lovable and looks very heathy.

Thanks - my layers are as short as about BSLish at the moment, they just seem to hide in amongst the waves. It means that when I do updos I find bits sticking out here and there. I guess I would kind of keep a U shape but not have layers.

lapushka
January 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I like the texture and the cut you have now best, actually. Why don't you continue to grow out your layers, see what it does to your texture? You can always go back to some layers later, and if you do, maybe start with a few longer layers so you can see what effect it has on your waves.

cataphract
January 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I haven't lost much of mine mine through any of my blunt cuts. Mostly I just end up with 'triangle-head' which might not be too big a problem as your hair is longer than mine.

julliams
January 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Not sure but your hair is beautiful!!! Did you change things up in the April months and on because it looks sooooo soft and shiny! :)

I'm not sure if all those shots had flash - sometimes that makes a difference but now that I think about it, basically I went back to cones. I did cone free for most of the time before trimming and that's when all the splitting started to show. You can see that my hair really did look much drier but I was doing SMT's weekly and coconut soaks.

After that trim, I used Kerastase but then I lost all my curl from the heavy silicone content in their products. I have found now that by changing up my products every time I wash (some with cones and some without), I get the best results. Also it makes washing my hair more fun - lol! I do see a big difference myself. It has to be my moisture levels and the use of cones - that would be it really.

Anje
January 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I don't think you'll lose the curl, but you might find it concentrated at the ends.

By the way, I think you're closer to 2c than 2b.

julliams
January 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I don't think you'll lose the curl, but you might find it concentrated at the ends.

By the way, I think you're closer to 2c than 2b.

I could well be now. I definitely used to be 2b but now that I have more length it looks like it's going to 2c. Interesting.

McFearless
January 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Is there a specific reason you want to ditch your layers? I think they look really good and give your hair a stunning shape. I suspect that if you cut it all one length your hair will be straight/wavy at the top and more bouncy/curly on the ends. I don't think your texture will really change.

julliams
January 7th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Is there a specific reason you want to ditch your layers? I think they look really good and give your hair a stunning shape. I suspect that if you cut it all one length your hair will be straight/wavy at the top and more bouncy/curly on the ends. I don't think your texture will really change.

Yes I agree that the texture won't change and I think the curls will be just at the bottom. I just have it in my head that I want all one length because it gives me something to work towards maybe??? I guess I can always just cut the layers back in if all one length alters the curl pattern too much.

lupiae
January 7th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks - my layers are as short as about BSLish at the moment, they just seem to hide in amongst the waves. It means that when I do updos I find bits sticking out here and there. I guess I would kind of keep a U shape but not have layers.

I agree with you, no layer but U shape.

You can just trim your U shape half an inch each 3-4 month and step by step the layers will be gone. Do not cut in one shot, is not necessary.

Ciao

Chamomile betty
January 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
As someone who had layers also I will say that growing them out has been the best thing. My waves/curls are lower but with scrunching they do last. One length makes my ends look more blunt. For me growing out layers was a good choice.