PDA

View Full Version : I have mastered the rope braid :-))

bunzfan
January 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I have been trying for months to master the rope braid just because...i can't and finally thanks to Torrins tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw i can do it yay:cheese::cheese:

I can't wear them any other way than in a rose bun as my layers make them un-ravel oh well.

Here is my rose bun
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/Page1.jpg

No one else but you guys could understand how pleased i am that i can finally do this, just need to figure out how to do a 4 strand braid now:confused:

jasper
January 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM
That looks nice!

Veer666
January 6th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Looks very nice!

Congratulations!

bunzfan
January 6th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Thank you :) it holds well to .

lupiae
January 6th, 2011, 04:54 AM
It looks nice. Have you done by yourself? If you, you are a good hairdresser! :-)

Dragon
January 6th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Looks nice, congrats :)

CastaDiva
January 6th, 2011, 05:04 AM
A very nice braid. Congratulations:)

bunzfan
January 6th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Thanks everyone wish it would stay put and not come un-done while in just a braid.

arc691
January 6th, 2011, 05:33 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies/002_110103_fantastic_prv.gif

Congratulations! Your rope braid looks terrific!

bondgirl
January 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Very pretty, I can't wait for my hair being long enough to do this!

squintinschool
January 6th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Nice job! And a lovely hairstick to boot!

I have a similar problem with my layers too. I have to split my hair into at least two (three is better) sections, rope braid, and then bun. A tip though, make ponytails first? I can't see if you have elastics on the tops of your braids, but without that, they'll unravel, even if you don't have layers.

Vercelli
January 6th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Super pretty! Encourages me to try again as I still haven't figured out how to make it work on my hair even though it should be long enough. Maybe it's too thin? Anyway congratulations look good!:)

PrincessBob
January 6th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I hated trying to rope braid before I saw Torrin's tutorial. You seem to have done pretty darn well! As for four strand braiding: there are many schools of how to do this and each produces a very different braid. I have been doing mine for years and years, so my hands do it automatically, which is a major problem when I try to show other people how because my hands move far too fast for them to catch the movement... I tell them it's just like a three strand braid, only using four sections and they look at me like I am both evil and dumb. I'm going to try to diagram it for you using numbers, let's see how that goes... keep watching.

Madora
January 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Congratulations, Bunzfan, on mastering the rope braid. Your hair looks lovely. Isn't it always a great feeling to master a new style?! :cheese:

Lostsoule77
January 6th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Congratulations! I learned from Torrin's tutorial as well.
I just hate that layers make it look so bad so quick. When I do the Hawser braid that she also shows it look much better. When you get tired of the rose bun maybe you can work on the Hawser. Once you have the rope braiding down it's the same, just a few more steps. I pony both my regular rope and the Hawser because it definitely makes them stay better. I think I might have to try how you did it though. It looks so pretty. :)

PrincessBob
January 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Held in your left and right hands, palms up, please hold two sections in each hand with your index finger between sections so it goes thumb 1-index-2-middle and rest of fingers- rest of fingers and middle-3-index-4-thumb for shorthand:
1-2-3-4

Turn your right hand over and bring the section between your right thumb and index finger (section 4) between the middle and ring finger of your left hand and let go with your right thumb, gripping section 4 between your left middle and ring fingers and return your hands to the palm up stage, tugging slightly to "snug it up". Now you should have thumb-1-index-2-middle-4-ring and pinky- middle and rest of fingers-3-index-thumb. In shorthand:
1-2-4-3

Now, carefully move section 3 in your right hand from between your index and middle fingers to being between your thumb and index finger. This is the part that most often confuses people as they watch me, but if you don't do this you will end up with major hand cramps as the sections creep toward your pinkies. Now it will be thumb-1-index-2-middle-4- ring and pinkie-index and rest of fingers-3-thumb, so shorthand is still: 1-2-4-3

Now turn your left hand over and bring the section from between your left thumb and index finger (section 1) to the space between your right index and middle finger. Let go of this section with your left thumb, and grip it between your right index finger and middle finger. Return both hands to the palms up position, tugging slightly to snug it. Now you have: Thumb-index-2-middle-4-ring and pinky-middle and rest of fingers-1-index-3-thumb. Shorthand:
2-4-1-3

Now, carefully move section 2 in your left hand from between your index and middle fingers to being between your thumb and index finger. Then move section 4 from between your middle and ring fingers to being between the index and middle fingers of your left hand. Once again tug slightly to tighten the weave of the braid. You should now have thumb 2-index-4-middle and rest of fingers-middle and rest of fingers-1-index-3-thumb. Shorthand is still: 2-4-1-3.

Turn our right hand over, catching section 3 from between your right thumb and index finger with the ring finger of your left hand, securing it between your left middle and ring fingers and hold all the sections that are in your left hand snugly as you do the following: let go of section 3 with your right hand, and then let go of section 1. Now, run your right hand down the length of each section in your left hand to smooth out the sections and undo any tangles or reverse braids that have formed during the braiding process. Run your hand down section 1 then catch it up again between the thumb and index finger on your right hand. Return both hands to the palms up position, tugging again to snug up the braid. You should see thumb-2-index-4-middle-3-ring and pinky- index and rest of fingers- 1-thumb. Shorthand:
2-4-3-1

Now take the left hand over the right and catch the section between the left thumb and index finger (section 2) over the top of the right middle finger, securing it between the middle finger and index finger on the right hand. Let go with the left thumb and return both hands to the palms up position, tugging slightly to tighten the weave of the braid. You now see thumb- index-4-middle-3-ring and pinky-middle and rest of fingers-2-index-1-thumb. Shorthand:
4-3-2-1

Carefully move section 4 in your left hand from between your index and middle fingers to being between your thumb and index finger. Then move section 3 from between your middle and ring fingers to being between the index and middle fingers of your left hand. Once again tug slightly to snug up the weave of the braid. You should now have thumb 4-index-3-middle and rest of fingers-middle and rest of fingers-2-index-1-thumb. Shorthand is still: 4-3-2-1

Turn your right hand over and bring the section between your right thumb and index finger (section 1) between the middle and ring finger of your left hand, gripping section 1 between your left middle and ring fingers and let go with your right thumb grip all the strands in your left hand tightly, as you perform the following: let go of section 2. Now, run your right hand down the length of each section in your left hand to smooth out the sections and undo any tangles or reverse braids that have formed during the braiding process. Run your hand down section 2 then catch it up again between the thumb and index finger on your right hand. Then return your hands to the palm up stage, tugging slightly to tighten the weave. Now you should have thumb-4-index-3-middle-1-ring and pinky- index and rest of fingers-2-thumb. In shorthand:
4-3-1-2

Turn your left hand over your right, putting section 4 between your middle and index finger on your right hand, grip it with your right fingers and release it with your left thumb. Return hands to palms up position and you will gently tug and see thumb-index-3-middle-1-ring and pinky-middle and rest of fingers- 4-index-2-thumb. Shorthand:
3-1-4-2

With your left hand pass section 3 from middle to index finger, grip with your left thumb, and then pass section 1 from ring to middle finger and grip between middle and index finger. Tug gently to tighten weave. See hands as thumb-3-index-1-middle and rest of fingers-middle and rest of fingers- 4-index-2-thumb. Shorthand is still: 3-1-4-2

Continue repeating the weaving and passing until you have a braid and tassel of desired length.

PrincessBob
January 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I have no doubt that an illustrated or photo-illuminated version of this will eventually find its way to my blog some time in the future, for now I hope this wearily lengthy set of instructions can help you learn how to do what I know as pride braids. According to my spouse, practicing this braid is easiest with four scarves of different colors secured together at one end by a ponytail holder. You can also use a friend’s hair, a wig, rope, or try making a friendship bracelet with embroidery thread (<--:arrow: this last method is known for causing hand cramps, just FYI). Each pass or weave or plait, or whatever you want to call it is a multi-step process. Unless I have made an egregious error, the following should be a comprehensive step-by step instructions list for four-strand braiding. This braid is tighter and flatter than a three-strand braid, and because of that looks a little dressier.

(Side note: By now you may have noticed that you never have more than two sections in your right hand at a time, this is good. You may reverse the instructions if you feel more comfortable using your right hand to hold more sections, in which case start the braid by bringing section 1 to be between the right ring and middle fingers and braid from there. It is just important that you know which hand will be holding one and two sections at a time and which will be holding two and three sections at a time. I have you tightening your braid at every pass. This may not be necessary for your hair. If your hair is quite slippery, or very voluminous, however, I suggest not skipping this step.

I have you smoothing about once every two passes. As you get better you will instinctively know when smoothing is needed. With my hair it is needed every two passes for the first 8 inches or so of braid, then less frequently as the braid continues. If you do not smooth, you may end up with loops or snags in your braid and tangles in your tassel. It is easiest to smooth when there is only one section to be re-collected by the smoothing hand, but if you run into a situation tat requires immediate smoothing, feel free to drop two sections and attempt to reclaim both. There is nothing wrong with undoing the braid to start again if you have made a mistake. Set aside time to practice, so you don’t feel rushed. Take your time, you’ll get faster as you build the muscle memory.)

bunzfan
January 6th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Thank you so much for this Princessbob your so kind:D

redneckprincess
January 7th, 2011, 01:07 AM
that is beautiful, and im not much shorter then you, so i cant wait to watch the video and try it

mowo
January 7th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Beautiful braid!
Maybe I will try this also... although with my stiff hair it won't be easy ;-)

bunzfan
January 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Congratulations, Bunzfan, on mastering the rope braid. Your hair looks lovely. Isn't it always a great feeling to master a new style?! :cheese:

It certainly is and i love the look of braids they hold so well in updo's to

Super pretty! Encourages me to try again as I still haven't figured out how to make it work on my hair even though it should be long enough. Maybe it's too thin? Anyway congratulations look good!:)

Have a look at the tutorial i tried that explained it so well . Twist hair one way for both sections and then twist in the opposite direction.

Nice job! And a lovely hairstick to boot!

I have a similar problem with my layers too. I have to split my hair into at least two (three is better) sections, rope braid, and then bun. A tip though, make ponytails first? I can't see if you have elastics on the tops of your braids, but without that, they'll unravel, even if you don't have layers.

Thanks for this i may try the three sections, and no previously i had tried the braid without putting it in a ponytail first.

that is beautiful, and im not much shorter then you, so i cant wait to watch the video and try it

Haha when i read that my first thought was hey how does she know how tall i am how dense am i :)

redneckprincess
January 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I just ment hair length, lol!!

I

Haha when i read that my first thought was hey how does she know how tall i am how dense am i :)

LHC100
January 22nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Congratulations! Mine isn't long enough to bun (if whole hair used), but makes two cute pigtails. I could probably do a little bun on on the top only, but haven't yet.