PDA

View Full Version : Hair breakage at my ends when I wear my hair up?

musicallberrii
January 6th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Hey everyone =) I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with end breakage when wearing their hair up? I wear my hair up every day, 99% of the time in a bun, and it seems like my hair is always dry at the ends.. and if I comb after I take down my hair, I get little bits of broken hair. My hair is fine after washing, I usually braid it before bed and it doesn't feel dry.. but as soon as it goes in a bun, the ends are awful. Has anyone else had to deal with this, and could you suggest something to could put in before bunning to protect my ends? Usually I spray in some conditioner diluted with water but it obviously isn't enough..

ddiana1979
January 6th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I usually put Jojoba oil or NightBlooming's Panacea's Hair Salve on the ends before bunning or after braiding to protect the tassel.

Are you using protein heavy treatments? Some people get "crunchy" ends if they're using too much protein.

frizzinator
January 6th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Conditioner has alcohol in it, which is the reason CO works. So if you leave conditioner in your hair all the time, the alcohol would dry it out. Why not rub oil on your ends instead of conditioner?

Wearing hair up everyday protects the ends; therefore, I think your problem is the conditioner.

musicallberrii
January 6th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I have used some Cholestorol (sp?) Hair treatment last week.. it was the first time I've used it though and I don't use protein treatments.. I just did a 2 inch trim the day before last to remove bad ends. I used the Cholesterol again tonight and then followed it with a CWC and then full deep condition all over.. my hair feels better in general atm, but I am sure it will probably have dry ends tomorrow again. Where do you get your jojoba oil from? And you wouldn't have happened to try coconut oil before, have you? Someone mentioned to me that might be a good treatment for my ends..

Thanks for yur help =)

musicallberrii
January 6th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I have used some Cholestorol (sp?) Hair treatment last week.. it was the first time I've used it though and I don't use protein treatments.. I just did a 2 inch trim the day before last to remove bad ends. I used the Cholesterol again tonight and then followed it with a CWC and then full deep condition all over.. my hair feels better in general atm, but I am sure it will probably have dry ends tomorrow again. Where do you get your jojoba oil from? And you wouldn't have happened to try coconut oil before, have you? Someone mentioned to me that might be a good treatment for my ends..

Thanks for your help =)

musicallberrii
January 6th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Gah sorry, I didn't mean to post that twice! I'm using my phone and the internet is a bit wonky. Frizzinator, that makes sense. I usually use the watered down conditioner as a detangler, and the rest of my hair is smooth and soft.. just my ends end up rough.

Cleopatra18
January 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM
What kind of bun you do? I have been doing cinnamon buns for a really long time and I finally realised they make my ends crunchy.I tuck the ends inside and everything but somehow they always end up frizzy,dry and with weird kinks and stuff if that makes sense.
what helped me the most is using hair sticks instead of scrunchies.I'm still experimenting with cheap ones from local stores but even those are working great.also try a lazy wrap bun or a simple pencil bun.HTH and good luck.

musicallberrii
January 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Cleopatra18, I usually do Cinnamon Buns.. I will have to try hair sticks. I usually use a octopus clip or hair claw but my ends are still frizzy. Thanks for the suggestions!

spidermom
January 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM
My buns tend to twist and sag, so my ends get all scrunched up looking no matter how carefully I place them when I bun. When I take my bun down, I wet the ends, then gently comb them out.

My hair really appreciates a generous coconut oiling an hour to the day before I wash it. The ends really come up feel as soft and supple as the rest of my hair. It keeps them in good shape.

spidermom
January 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Conditioner has alcohol in it, which is the reason CO works. So if you leave conditioner in your hair all the time, the alcohol would dry it out. Why not rub oil on your ends instead of conditioner?

Wearing hair up everyday protects the ends; therefore, I think your problem is the conditioner.

The alcohol in conditioner is oil derived and non-drying. At least that is my understanding. I leave conditioner in my hair almost all the time and have had nothing but good results.

melikai
January 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM

The conditioners commonly used in CO contain small amounts of mild surfactants and cleansers, which is why CO works. The alcohols in conditioner are long-chain fatty alcohols (like cetyl alcohol), which are moisturising, and not the same as ethyl or isopropyl alcohol, which are found in some hairsprays and styling products.

To the OP: maybe the breakage is due to old damage, and doesn't have to do with wearing it up? Or maybe your hair accessories when you wear a bun are clamping or pressing on your ends, and making them more prone to breaking?

annieangel149
January 8th, 2011, 05:49 AM
hey! while we are on the subject can i ask : should i be tieing black elastics at my ends when i have braided, if my ends are slightly damaged from perming? im wondering if elastics can be a bit harsh and cause damage to hair? it may be better to just use a clip!

Cleopatra18
January 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
constant use of elastics will cause breakage and split ends.