PDA

View Full Version : Advice on layers...if I trim could I....

cubedcoley
January 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Make it into a fully rolled sock bun? I was not sure where to post this one and I looked for a sock bun thread for the answer with no success.

So, REAL QUICK! (I have to get back to the movie star thread :thumbsup:): I have layered hair with shortest layer just dusting SL and longest layer a good 3-4 inches from BSL. I am NOT impatient for length but meandering towards waist. I CAN do a lot of updos, but the fully rolled sock bun escapes me! I really would like to get the heatless curls as a nice side effect:eyebrows:, but at this point, these layers are keeping me from getting fully rolled. Now, keep in mind that I RARELY wear my hair down and love my updos: buns with hair scroos:cheese:, two French braids:happydance:, pinned up English braid, well you get the point. So, what are your thoughts? If I trim the longest layer about 2 inches I am thinking this would solve my problem and I would get the fully rolled sock bun....am I being impatient? I think I know the answer already! :p Since I have not made a decision, I am not invoking the 2 week rule. When I am convinced, if I get convinced to trim I will DEFINITELY wait at least 2-3 weeks....:cheese::cheese: (ooooo, double cheese!)

UltraBella
January 5th, 2011, 11:29 PM
My layers don't stop me from doing a fully rolled sock bun, but my hair is much longer than yours. My daughter's hair is almost exactly the same length as yours, with layers, and I can do the fully rolled sock bun on her too. I personally would not lose two inches of length just to be able to do a sock bun better and I am not sure it would solve your issue to trim it anyway. What if you find yourself two inches shorter and still no sock bun ? Eek !

ddiana1979
January 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM
It may not be the layers that are causing the problem. I recently got my first trim in 11 months, and my layers are barely there anymore (maybe only a 1" difference between my shortest layer & my longest layer). I couldn't do the fully rolled sock bun with layers, and I still can't do it without. For me, apparently, it's a problem of dexterity.

I agree with UltraBella. . . for one hair style, cutting your layers (especially if the ends are in good condition) is simply not worth it. . . especially if there's no guarantee that the layers are the problem.

torrilin
January 6th, 2011, 05:25 AM
How many times have you tried? I usually figure it takes at least 20 tries for me to even learn to *do* a new technique, nevermind do it well. Since I've never done a sock bun (or um... even wanted to), I can't imagine it'd be different. We won't speak of how long it took me to grasp the basic technique Hypnotica uses for the Hypno bun and her French Twist method...

The only times where I have quick success are when it's a refinement, like Dianyala's T parting technique for braids. That took maybe two tries, but I've been doing plain braids on my own hair since I was 18 or so.

cubedcoley
January 6th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks y'all!! You have echoed what I think I knew! In will keep working on it... Maybe it is the sock I am trying :shrug: I am sure I have tried a lot but "if at first you don't succeed try try again!". If I get it I will post pics...

BTW the first thread I ever read here had a lot of your posts ultrabella :flowers: "show us your nighttime buns". I happened upon it doing a google search! You are :magic: can I come to Montana so you can cut my hair?

Ddiana I see your posts all over. Thanks for the good info. :flowers:

Torrin. Seriously girl that Dutch crown braid is WAY easier than hairtaping. I will post a pic when my layers are a bit less prominent in my braids. You ROCK!! :thumbsup: