PDA

View Full Version : Splits, white dots, questions?

calicokatt
January 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
So sometime last year I colored my hair, first went for a nice red (why haven't I learned yet that when I go for red, it comes out WAY redder than I meant???) and ended up with nearly purple, so then I lightened it and ended up with pink. Left it pink til it faded out then covered with the herbal essences very close to my natural color. Now I have some splits an inch or two up the shaft, many splits at the ends, and lots of white dots an inch or two up. What are the white dots? I've tried to search, but not having much luck.... And would I be better off with a trim or just lots of S&D? If I trimmed, it seems I'd have to take off two inches to get all the splits, but fully half or more of my hair has no splits or dots......

Madora
January 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM
The white dots will eventually break. Trimming away the damage is the only way to combat the splits and the white dots. You can try s and D, but it sounds to me that the problem is more widespread and a full trim would benefit you more. Good luck!

Oz
January 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
awww sorry this happened :( i know nothign about this sort of thing but id back up madoras advice.. best to get it all sorted now and have clean hazord free grounds to grow back on.

mellie89
January 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I was where you are a couple years ago. I would definitely advocate just trimming the damage away now and cutting your losses, if you'll pardon the pun. ;)

The hairs with white dots will eventually break right at the dot, unfortunately. You could theoretically do S&D only, but if you have a lot of them, a trim would be MUCH easier. It would give you a nice, even hemline to grow from, too! You'll have the length back in just a few months.

Sophiawavyhair
January 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM
So sometime last year I colored my hair, first went for a nice red (why haven't I learned yet that when I go for red, it comes out WAY redder than I meant???) and ended up with nearly purple, so then I lightened it and ended up with pink. Left it pink til it faded out then covered with the herbal essences very close to my natural color. Now I have some splits an inch or two up the shaft, many splits at the ends, and lots of white dots an inch or two up. What are the white dots? I've tried to search, but not having much luck.... And would I be better off with a trim or just lots of S&D? If I trimmed, it seems I'd have to take off two inches to get all the splits, but fully half or more of my hair has no splits or dots......

WHITE DOTS: A case where the hair has been overheated to the point where the moisture inside has started to boil, permanently damaging both the cortex and the cuticle. Eventually the hair will break down and split, sometimes into a "white dot" which is just a split in the center of the hair. A case of trichorrhexis nodosa (white dot), where the cortex was disrupted.

I would suggest you cut your hair just above where all the white dots start, maybe 2 inches?

I am on the same boat, I got 2 inches cut off to get rid of white dots and split ends, and I am currently doing monthly microtrims to get rid of all the damage left from flat ironing. I rarely find a white dot now but my hair still is very dry. and it doesnt reflect light anymore :mad:

This is an article I found here, it would explain exactly what the white dots are....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

:)

Talula
April 14th, 2011, 03:14 AM
hmmm.... I keep reading that white dots mean overheating, but that doesn't make any sense for my case.

I've noticed the white dots for many yrs.... maybe 20... and I haven't used a hair dryer or any other heating tool for probably 25 yrs. And I don't take very hot showers, either, just warm. I wonder why I get them, then? I do find it satisfying to S&D & break them off at the dots, tho....

Firefox7275
April 14th, 2011, 03:42 AM
hmmm.... I keep reading that white dots mean overheating, but that doesn't make any sense for my case.

I've noticed the white dots for many yrs.... maybe 20... and I haven't used a hair dryer or any other heating tool for probably 25 yrs. And I don't take very hot showers, either, just warm. I wonder why I get them, then? I do find it satisfying to S&D & break them off at the dots, tho....

AFAIK white dots are irreparable damage that is not at the bottom of the hair but in the middle. The most common reasons are heat and chemicals, but it is possible to cause mechanical damage somewhere on the shaft. I had a lot of breaks from permanent ponytails and twirling of my hair. :( Are yours where the elastic goes to tie off your braid? Or where your hair rubs against the headrest in the car? Or your technique for washing or combing?