PDA

View Full Version : Conehead again after 2 years...guilty

jezebel17
January 5th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Ever since I decided to seriously grow my hair out in 2009, I gave up cones. I have 3b curls and my hair was never bad with cones. But because I was trying to do what's "best" for my hair I gave up all cones. Now 2 years later, I have been on a never ending battle with fairy knots.

Taking the advice of my LHC friends I have decided to use a coney conditioner once again, and to my surprise I don't have anymore new fairy knots!! In only a few weeks my problem is gone.

However, I still can't shake off the guilt of using cones.:confused:
Any guilty coneheads here?

GuardGirl
January 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I am a guilt-free conehead! I color treat my hair and I work at a swimming pool (chlorine is killer!), and without cones my hair quickly becomes a horrid broken mess.

spidermom
January 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM
No guilt here! Every once in awhile I get caught up in the "cones are evil" vibe and stop using coney products, but I always come back (so far).

Kirin
January 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I have to ask the obvious question, why on Earth do you feel guilty about using a hair product that millions and millions of people use without problem?

There is nothing "unhealthy" or "dirty" about using cones. Use what works, and have no regrets.

Right now I'm using Pert shampoo and conditioner, and my hair's never been better frankly.

Rivanariko
January 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Happy conehead here! Don't feel guilty, cones aren't inherently bad for your hair, some people's hair likes them, some don't. My hair goes into major revolt if I take its cones away and starts falling out in chunks!

So yes I'm a conehead, but I don't feel the least bit guilty! My hair is happy and healthy!

Lostsoule77
January 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I'm new here, but I've used cones for years. I've never had a problem with it. I may try to go without and see what happens, but I can guarantee I'll prob. come back because my shampoo and conditioner work so well for my hair.

If you are using them again and they fixed your fairy knots I can't imagine feeling guilty about it. Knots are bad for your (and everyone else's) hair, the cones are only bad for some people. Apparently they are good for you, so use away guilt free. :)

luxepiggy
January 5th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Why feel guilty? I use lots of cones and I don't feel one iota of guilt - just satisfaction with my nice, shiny hair (^(oo)^)v

jezebel17
January 5th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I guess I got so caught up in the "cones are bad" hype for so long. I will continue using my coney condish regardless, but I just needed some reassurance that it is ok to be a cone head. Thanks everyone for making me feel better!

Dragon
January 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Why feel guilty when you have found what works well for you. I also use cones sometime.

lascuba
January 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Nothing to feel guilty about. I usually steer clear of cones myself, but I'm not strict about it. As long as they're low on the ingredient list and it's not the evil (yes, this one is truly evil :p)cycloblahblahblahxane, my hair is fine with them.

HintOfMint
January 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I love cones! It's just the SLS shampoo on my length and ends that doesn't work. I can't CWC with a coney conditioner without serious buildup, and frequent use of shampoo on the length is very drying for me. Otherwise, I'd be a raging conehead.

Isilme
January 5th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I haven't used cones since I joined here but when I moved I only had a coney shampoo and conditioner and my hair loved it! I'm a happy conehead again, both the shampoo and conditioner contains cones!

Fadedbluedreams
January 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have much appreciation for cones. Without them my fine straight hair would be very unhappy.

fairy_ends_girl
January 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
conehead here too:) My curls love cones.

MrsGuther
January 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I am a guilt-free conehead! I color treat my hair and I work at a swimming pool (chlorine is killer!), and without cones my hair quickly becomes a horrid broken mess.

Sounds like a familiar scenario GuardGirl. ;)
My hair NEEDS cones, but you already know that!!! :cheese:

Vani1902
January 5th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Cones make it easier for me to comb. So, I feel no guilt. :)

christine1989
January 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hmmm...maybe my fairy knots are a result of not using cones. I get quite a few of them but unfortunatly cones seem to make my hair look flat so I try not to use them much. If cones help you avoid damage and knots then obviously they are good for your hair. I don't actually believe cones are fundamentally "bad". They don't do any real damage to hair as long as you clairify every now and then.

Igor
January 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I don’t understand why you gave up something that worked for your hair in the first place.

And I certainly don’t understand why we have thread after thread with “Ya all say cones are bad I feel bad for using them!” when no one never, ever stated something so broad and misleading!

Cones work for some and not for others. Why do people keep spreading misinformation like that? Especially coming from someone who used them with success?!

The “Cones are bad!” hype is coming from all the new people, not the old ones and certainly not from the people who takes the time to learn and look up studies on the actual effect cones have on their hair.

The only thing you should feel “guilty” for is being someone who reinforces that silly, untrue rumour that cones are bad.

ericthegreat
January 5th, 2011, 09:41 PM
There's no need to feel guilty. If you know that cones work very well with your hair, then by all means keep on using them! However, do keep in mind that even if your hair responds well with cones, that they will build up over time so you will need to clarify with a proper shampoo from time to time.

jezebel17
January 5th, 2011, 10:00 PM
My hair was fine with cones and also fine without it.The only problem I encountered was the fairy knots on my ends. I only changed to no cone because I wanted my hair to be as healthy as it possibly could. Plus I wanted to experiment with different methods to see what works best for my hair. Isn't that why we all are here.

I have been a LHC member since 2007 and I have seen my fair share of threads that do make cones sound bad. Not to mention other curly websites and books that encourage cg method for curly haired girls like myself.

So I am not reinforcing any "silly rumors", I simply came here to say that I innocently fell for the hype for too long and I'm trying to break out of it.

I appreciate the encouraging comments.

Rini
January 6th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Well done on figuring out what is best for YOUR hair and fixing a problem you were having. Experimentation is good :D Enjoy your new shiney coney tangle-free hair!

(I think the "guilty" part of the thread title may have given the impression to some people that you think cones are still bad.......and I see you obviously don't think they are bad. Just a bit of confusion there, that's all.)

Bene
January 6th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I don’t understand why you gave up something that worked for your hair in the first place.

And I certainly don’t understand why we have thread after thread with “Ya all say cones are bad I feel bad for using them!” when no one never, ever stated something so broad and misleading!

Cones work for some and not for others. Why do people keep spreading misinformation like that? Especially coming from someone who used them with success?!

The “Cones are bad!” hype is coming from all the new people, not the old ones and certainly not from the people who takes the time to learn and look up studies on the actual effect cones have on their hair.

The only thing you should feel “guilty” for is being someone who reinforces that silly, untrue rumour that cones are bad.

STOP READING MY MIND!!!! :mad:

Veer666
January 6th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Don't feel guilty! Just use what works best for your hair!

My hair only needed cones when I wasn't nice to my hair (e.g. chemical dye). Since I am a henna/henndigo head, My hair hates cones and loves natural products.
It just doesn't need cones anymore and I get build-up real fast when I do use cones and a sort of plastic shine, which I don't like.
So for now cone-free products work the best for me.

Avital88
January 6th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Without cones my hair lookes terrible .so dont feel guilty at all!

Alexannee10
January 6th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I did the same as you, jezebel17 ! I've had use non cones products for my hair since 2009, and recently I decided to use cone again .. Just because it makes my hair shiny, what the non-cones products didn't do anymore. So don't feel guilty ! If your hair doesn't "knots" anymore, maybe cone are adapted to your hair now :)

Varney
January 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I don't use silicone. But the reason I don't isn't because I imagine that they have a bad effect on hair, its because you have to use strong cleansing agents in order to remove it. I haven't actually come across any explanation that says that silicone in itself is bad for your hair. My impression has always been that it is the use of SLS that's the problem for some people (like me for example). Which you unfortunately need if you use cones. But if your hair don't mind SLS, then so what?

JessTheMess
January 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM
::::raises hand shyly and steps into the room::::
I went back to cones. I had to trim off 3" last month due to fragile and split hairs. My hair was pretty brittle back when I was using cones before, but I think that was also because I was blow drying and not clarifying. SO, for now I'm back on the conehead wagon... in a few weeks who knows :shrug:

annieangel149
January 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
how strange that some peeps here think cones are bad! maybe i havent been on the forum long enough to be tarnished by that stupid idea! lol! i have atually been amazed at how accepting peeps have been to others and respectful of others hair care routines!
i have never had the impression that cone free washing is better than no cone washing! quite alot of peeps here were getting good results from using cone free tho so i just started using cone free out of curiosity really! my hair seems lighter and more flowy but i do get tangles! but because my hair seems softer and lighter i can handle the tangles! (and i could probably use some oil to get rrid of them anyway) however i might find i need to go back to cones! i wont be feeling guilty if thats the case! i will just be watching out for build up this time tho and clarifying to shift it!

Clarisse
January 6th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Shampoos with cones make my hair flat and slippery, and most products with cones relaxes my curls (temporarily of course). But there is this one product with lots of cones that just works wonders on my hair, and I do not feel guilty at all.

There is also a lice killing product that basically is made out of cones, called Hedrin. I’ve had great success with it, and it’s a good alternative to all the lice poisons out there.

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM
In the years since I started growing my hair out, I have used products with cones and products without cones. For me, the results I get seem to depend more on the product than on whether it has cones or not. I have extremely tangly hair, and have had luck with products of both kinds. I do try to stay away from shampoos with cones, though. I don't like the idea of leaving cones on my scalp.

jojo
January 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I dont know why the cones are evil debate started, cones work for some and not for others. Cones offer protection and give slip. I personally hardly ever check if a product has cones or not if it works for me, then thats good enough for me.

No need to feel guilty its not an arrestable offence!:D enjoy your hair with what ever works for you.

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Some people feel that they damage the hair over time.

Juneii
January 6th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Everyone's hair has different reactions to cones. I tried going without cones once, I got greasy limp hair with more tangles. Why stop using something that worked well for me all these years because it's "bad"?

UP Lisa
January 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Well, I wouldn't worry about it. Your hair is beautiful!

sedonia
January 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Another vote for "don't feel guilty"!

The only reason why I occasionally go cone-free and use shampoo bars is because it gives my hair alot of volume. But the down side is I know I get more breakage and damage without cones.

Cupofmilk
January 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Oddly I found cones again recently due to the cold weather! My cocounut oil was just not working - I was trying to warm it between my icy hands taking ages. One day I needed to sort my hair in a hurry and grabbed some leave in product with cones in (didnt' even occur to me to think about cones). My hair was tangle free and shiny and soft for 5 days. I normally have to wash every 2 days with the oil. I f I don't use oil my hair is one big tangly knot. It's not a damage thing.
At school my nickname was "birdsnest" - I had a chin length bob that tangled into a fuzz at the back!

Nae
January 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I just stay away from them so I can use my Shampoo Bars whenever I want without an attack of the greasies. I have used them in the past when I am ready for something different and I am not used to how they make my hair feel.

I may try some again soon though. I like changing it up. I just hate clarifying before going back to my poo bars and you know I am going to go back to my poo bars lol, it is just inevitable!!;)

jezebel17
January 6th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I can see how my title may be misleading. Just for the record I don't think cones are bad. I was just in the habit of thinking it was better to be cone-free. That's over now, and I'm happy to be back on cones.
The guilt only came from breaking an old habit. After 2 years of checking labels carefully, it felt awkward to use cones again. Thanks to all of you guys I feel much better, and I am happyn to be a cone-head again. I can't wait to go shopping for more conditioner, now that I have a huge selection to choose from.

Copasetic
January 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Never feel guilty about using cones! You should always do whatever works for you. It actually kind of drives me insane when people think they must give up cones to have good hair. Definitely not true.

Tia2010
January 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
You found something that works for you so don't feel bad about it :)

My hair doesn't seem to have a preference when it comes to cones vs no cones , it's fine either way. I originally gave up cones because my hair was looking dull and lank and found it looked better without cones so I just kept to my own self imposed "no cones" rule for a while. BUT I wasn't using a sulfate shampoo and didn't clarify so buildup was more likely the cause of my flat hair rather than the actual use of cones.

Now I just use what works , which in my case is cone free shampoo and conditioner, but I do have a few coney serum's that I really like. I just make sure to watch for build up now :)

McFearless
January 6th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I'm a guilt free conehead:disco:

templeofvenus
January 7th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I love cones! if you like them then use them and be free of guilt! :)

Kaelee
January 7th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Another proud cone head chiming in! I've never really noticed much of a difference going cone-free. I didn't have the nightmare tangles and breakage that a lot of people got but for me, I can buy a $3 bottle of Aussie or Garnier (my two favorite cone-y brands) or I can pay $7 for something "better"...usually I can't be bothered with the better one. But so far, my hair has loved the Aussie and Garnier, so I keep it. Plus, it smells yummy!

Katze
January 7th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Another cone head here. I use them every second wash or so, so 2x a month if not more.

My fine, wavy, extremely difficult to manage hair is regrowing after a massive postpartum shed. It looks terrible much of the time. 'Cones help me be able to enjoy my hair.

I do find that they irritate my sensitive scalp, though.