PDA

View Full Version : Self trimming methods for layers

ellen732
January 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Just wondering what methods are used by self trimmers for creating long layers in your hair? I have trimmed my layers holding my head upside down and just trimming the ends and also by putting my hair in a ponytail near my forehead and pulling it straight out. Any other methods?

superficial
January 6th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I am curious about this too.

lapushka
January 6th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Those are the two one-cut layering methods I know of. You can vary on this by only ponytailing the hair above your ears, this way the lower parts of your hair don't get layered.

bunzfan
January 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I have also heard that if you twist small sections on your hair and slightly ruffle the strands the pieces that stick out are your layers and you can snip the ends, i have tried this myself and it worked.

unaspenser
January 6th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Those are the only methods I'm aware of for self-trimmers. I like long layers but I've never been completely satisfied with either of those strategies. I'll be waiting for some more replies!

UltraBella
January 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
My strategy is to visit my lovely hairdresser because there is NO WAY I could do it myself, lol.

K_Angel
April 20th, 2011, 06:19 AM
* * * bump ** * * * * *

Firefox7275
April 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
There are various how-to's in the Articles section (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1).

ellen732
April 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Since I originally started this thread I just went with hanging my head upside down with my hair wet, combing it down and trimming it straight across. It worked well for me.

KatiSasha
April 20th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Here's a good video for trimming the layers. A bit time consuming, but you'll be sure to trim ALL of your layers. Also, her layers are pretty short, you just need to adjust the angle of scissors when you cut.

Good Luck!

KatiSasha
April 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
oh, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyo7DXKT3lg

free_hug
April 20th, 2011, 09:55 PM
My strategy, a great one I discovered just a few months ago, is a friend who knows I am trying to grow out (since forever) and who is patient enough to cut just an inch off every single lock...

I had to hold the already cut locks with my hand though, so he doesn't get confused abot what's done already :D

jaine
April 20th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm with UltraBella on this one....self trimming for me involves picking up the phone (all by myself!) and calling my hair stylist :)

I tried for 10 years to cut my own hair but it never looked quite right to me.

K_Angel
April 21st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Since I originally started this thread I just went with hanging my head upside down with my hair wet, combing it down and trimming it straight across. It worked well for me.

This is what I tried and it seemed to work pretty good, followed by the Feye's Method of deep U self hair cut to finish it off and look more smooth. Looks great, but one thing I goofed on, I cut the length first then did the upside down layers method. So I ended up with some of the layers not being short enough near the face. I wanted them to start under the chin and go from there.

I was also wondering, with the method of "upside down and cut" are you able to do it, each time your hair needs a trim? Or once you cut it are you unable to trim the layers you've created?

---------

P.s. I'm taking pain meds for recovery from ankle surgery, so if I'm not writing coherently, I apologize! :flower:

ellen732
April 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
This is what I tried and it seemed to work pretty good, followed by the Feye's Method of deep U self hair cut to finish it off and look more smooth. Looks great, but one thing I goofed on, I cut the length first then did the upside down layers method. So I ended up with some of the layers not being short enough near the face. I wanted them to start under the chin and go from there.

I was also wondering, with the method of "upside down and cut" are you able to do it, each time your hair needs a trim? Or once you cut it are you unable to trim the layers you've created?

---------

P.s. I'm taking pain meds for recovery from ankle surgery, so if I'm not writing coherently, I apologize! :flower:

I think that once you establish those layers holding your head upside down they will be maintained by trimming them again this way as well. I used Feye's method after I hung my head upside down too. I also trim the layers around my face separately from the rest of my hair because I like the face frame a little shorter than the rest. Hope you feel better soon!

PamelaViktoria
April 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
I make a pony tail on top of my head with ties all the way to tips. Then cut the ends. Then I do feyes trimming method with my hair down.

K_Angel
April 23rd, 2011, 03:11 AM
I also trim the layers around my face separately from the rest of my hair because I like the face frame a little shorter than the rest. Hope you feel better soon!

I was a little intimidated by the idea of trimming the layers around my face. Did you use any particular method?

Hope you feel better soon!

Awwww, how sweet of you! Thank you! :blossom:

ellen732
April 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
[quote=K_Angel;1572968]I was a little intimidated by the idea of trimming the layers around my face. Did you use any particular method?

Pretend you have bangs and comb the bang area forward, then continue sectioning down each side to the top of each ear. Then pull the bang section out holding it elevated a bit, depending on how short you want the front, somewhere around chin is good. When you drop the front section down you can either free hand cut vertically down the side section to blend the sides or bring the sides up to the same elevation as the front and cut in one horizontal line. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but I hope it does. I like to blend the sides free hand going vertical. Try googling "face frame hair" and perhaps there is a tutorial.

AuburnTresses
April 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
I go to my trusted hairstylist. Luckily she does great gradual layers so they blend together. I love it!

ellen732
April 23rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I guess it's somewhat easier for me because I am a hairstylist, perhaps I should say "do not try this at home". :p

mandierae
April 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
this vid looks promising. LOTS of layers but it seems like a decent technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyo7DXKT3lg

that said, I recently cracked for some professional help (I've been growing out some very choppy layers that I used to tease) and went into Supercuts because a friend told me cheap-o salons are often better about cutting EXACTLY what you want. Best advice ever. I was able to get a face frame and even out all my layers, without losing more than maybe 1/2 an inch of length at the hem. She asked me about every snip. Plus, even if you spring for the fancy shampoo, it'll run you about 20 bucks.

K_Angel
April 23rd, 2011, 06:30 PM
Pretend you have bangs and comb the bang area forward, then continue sectioning down each side to the top of each ear. Then pull the bang section out holding it elevated a bit, depending on how short you want the front, somewhere around chin is good. When you drop the front section down you can either free hand cut vertically down the side section to blend the sides or bring the sides up to the same elevation as the front and cut in one horizontal line. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but I hope it does. I like to blend the sides free hand going vertical. Try googling "face frame hair" and perhaps there is a tutorial.

Thank you very much for the explanation! :)

I agree with going to a stylist as the best solution, but the only one I trusted moved to Texas 7 years ago. Unless any of you can suggest a person known for working well with long hair in Oregon?