PDA

View Full Version : How can I cover my grays naturally?

CarpeDM
January 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I've been wondering lately... is there any way to naturally (no chemicals) cover up a few single grays? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Lemur_Catta
January 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Cassia should give a golden tone to your greys, and it washes out so when you are ready to go grey, you won't have to deal with roots :)

CarpeDM
January 5th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Will cassia also change my natural brown? How long before it washes out? TX!

Rini
January 5th, 2011, 09:23 AM
catnip. You might want to PM ktani for details, but basically you brew a tea out of it and use it as a rinse after shampoo. It conditions and adds a blonde colour to greys.

HTH!

KarpatiiSiv
January 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'd second Rini's suggestion that you try catnip. Here is a link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118) to the article about using it. I've been using it to colour my silvers and for conditioning for over a year now with good results.:D

Lemur_Catta
January 5th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Will cassia also change my natural brown? How long before it washes out? TX!

It might add golden tones in sunlight, but your brown will most likely stay the same. It washes out in a month or so, and it's also very conditioning.

CarpeDM
January 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Those are great tips I will try out, thanks all!

CarpeDM
January 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Oh and is there a particular brand of catnip and cassia that works best?

skyblue
January 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM
great question! I've been wondering the same thing!
Thanks for asking ;)

ddiana1979
January 5th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Mehandi.com (http://www.mehandi.com/) sells BAQ henna with a really high lawsone content (3.4%) that they claim covers grays. They even sell kits depending on what you want your final hair color to be (I'm assuming you want to stay a brunette). Henna for Gray Hair (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/graybundles/index.html). There's a YouTube video on the site as well. I just ordered some, because my current henna isn't covering the grays, so I'll let you know how well it works if you're interested.

Pierre
January 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm naturally brown, and henna makes me a deeper reddish brown, which I think is pretty. My grays turn into sparkling red threads. But the only way to know if you'll like the color is to try it, preferably on some shed hair which you hold next to your skin while dyeing. Get some both cassia and henna and try them out. You can blend them too.

LaurelSpring
January 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Yes, Cassia and catnip are wonderful for that!

I have some catnip I got online at prairielindherbs.com. I have also bought it from the pet store and a local healthfood store. I get my cassia from hennaforhair. I just got some also from from the Montery Bay Spice Company (herbco.com) They sell it as senna alexandria. I havent tried this yet though.

I steep the catnip. I use about 1 tsp per cup. I steep it at least an hour or more usually. I strain it and use it as the liquid for my cassia mix. For my roots alone I typically only need about 2-3Tbsp of Cassia. I mix it to a yogurt like consistency with the catnip tea so that it will be easy to apply but not too runny. For your first application you will probably need more if you want to do your whole head.

Next I cover the bowl (best not to use metal bowl or utensils) with plastic wrap and let it dye release for at least 3 hours. I have tried not doing this step and didnt get as good results. If I want to speed it along I warm the over a bit and then set the bowl in there when it is just a bit warm to speed dye release. You dont want to cook it or anything.

Once its dye released then I put on rubber gloves and use a tint brush to apply it to my hair. I use little partings all over to coat it well. Once Im done I put on a shower cap and some more plastic wrap to hold it all in and put a knit cap over the whole deal for some added heat. I keep it on at least 3 hours then rinse.

I have tried lots of different ways but this has been the best for me. I get a really nice subtle blonde shade that is permanent for me (wont wash out). For a less permanent result you could try a quicker method without the extended wait times for dye release and processing. This blends my silver nicely. Because my hair is darker, I do add in a tsp or so each of henna and buxus to make it a darker blonde but you dont have to. I have a pic somewhere that shows the results. I'll see if I can locate it.

Rini
January 6th, 2011, 01:39 AM
LaurelSpring, this sounds like a really interesting method! I've never read about someone doing both catnip and cassia at the same time, good idea. I'd LOVE to see a pic of your final colour you get from this. Is it yellowish or more brownish blonde? Also, do you apply it on freshly washed hair, shampooed and conditioned or just just shampooed? Ktani says that the catnip cannot stain if conditioner is used.

CarpeDM
January 6th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I would love to see some pics too :magic:

CarpeDM
January 6th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I've thought about trying henna before but I've read that it doesn't cover gray and I'm scared of the red... I think I will just have to try all of it out and see what works best, thanks again for the help and info everyone.

mellie
January 6th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Another option is to embrace your silvers and let them shine! :-) See my story in my siggy link. I'm so much happier now!! :cheer:

cmnt831
January 6th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I've thought about trying henna before but I've read that it doesn't cover gray and I'm scared of the red... I think I will just have to try all of it out and see what works best, thanks again for the help and info everyone.

Well, it certainly covered mine for sure. Red is another issue, however. I did a few trial blends of cassia and henna and then picked my favorite. :)

cleanbug
January 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Henna definitly covers grey...but you have to love red hair.
I have been using henna for about 4 years now. I am 80% grey in the front & around my temples which gives bright red highlights in the front & on my brown hairs, a more subtle auburn.
check out my album to see what it looks like.
If you hair is predominantly brown, then your final color would be mostly auburn with a few bright red hairs.

the key is getting the right henna & mixing & dye releasing it properly & getting good coverage & leaving it on long enough.
In the beginning, that seems like a daunting task but once you've done it a few times, it becomes second nature.

see link to my website below my signature picture.
all the best
Tami

chrissy-b
January 6th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Oh and is there a particular brand of catnip and cassia that works best?

The best cassia I've used to cover my grays is the 'senna alexandria' from Montery Bay Spice Company (herbco.com). It's cheap and it makes my grays look like bright blonde hairs.

The only catnip I've used I've bought as loose leaf tea from my local co-op. What I've found using catnip, is that it makes the cassia rinse out a lot easier. However, the cassia from herbco.com is so fine that it rinses out easier than any other brand I've used and don't even need the catnip anymore. I generally mix it with chamomile tea now.

Vercelli
January 6th, 2011, 08:31 AM
That's an interesting thread! I will definitely try out this catnip mixture. When I use cassia (neutral henna) on it's own, which I do approx. every three months, I've noticed a hint of blondness on my lonely whities. But it washes out pretty soon which doesn't seem to be the case with catnip.

CarpeDM
January 6th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Diana, definitely interested, please let me know how it works out.

CarpeDM
January 6th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Cleanbug, love your color and I can see that the henna you use totally covers up any gray. I guess it must come down to the type of henna you use?? I'm new to all of this. I've never tried henna, cassia or catnip before. I'm pretty content with my natural color but my gray hairs stick out like a sore thumb and I would really like them to blend in more. Plus I would love the added benefits of conditioning and body, but I would prefer something that lasted at least a month or more. I also like the idea of mixing and experimenting, hmmm there is a lot to take in :hmm:

slipperlady
January 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I read something somewhere about brewing sage and pouring it through hair to cover gray or make it blend in. I couldn't find it though, so wasn't able to try it. (I wonder if it would make you smell like turkey stuffing?)

CarpeDM
January 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
LOL, I think I might have a hard time pulling off a turkey scent, my SO already runs away from me after I use an ACV rinse. :run:

KLin
January 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM
cassia oil = burned skin/scalp

Vercelli
January 8th, 2011, 05:27 AM
cassia oil = burned skin/scalp
What do you mean? Sorry, maybe I lost it...

Locksmith
January 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Your hair looks the same colour as mine, and I've noticed no colour change with cassia. I've read that walnut hulls give a good brown dye, possibly to add to cassia.

ETA: Cassia lasts about a month or more. My hair loves it - it adds some much-needed thickness and strength for me. :) Also you get to unleash your inner four year old and play with green slime! :D

cleanbug
January 8th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Cleanbug, love your color and I can see that the henna you use totally covers up any gray. I guess it must come down to the type of henna you use??
Yes, the type of henna, method of dye release, the application & the amt of time it is left on the hair all play into it but...henna is very forgiving. I never have a demarcation line like i did with haircolor & it's really hard to screw it up.
Your base color is dark enough that henna might be a great option for you. a few red streaks on auburn hair would look great on you.

CarpeDM
January 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM
So far I've ordered some catnip and am looking into the right henna and cassia to try out...

silverjen
January 8th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Keep in mind that henna is super-extra permanent. There are techniques for lightening it, but once in it will stick like crazy.

I used it on my mix of silver and dark brown hair. My silvers turned the same red as an Irish setter after two applications. Unfortunately I then discovered that I'd have to henna every other weekend to keep my roots from showing. Way too much of a commitment for me, so I'm now growing it out.

CarpeDM
January 9th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I'm glad you brought up that point. I would prefer to keep it temporary, but not something I need to do every day. In other words something that would stick for a bit, but not be permanent. I read somewhere that coffee can stain your hair, I wonder if this is accurate?

Locksmith
January 9th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Cassia is probably worth a go for you in that case - it lasts a month, so it isn't a big chore, but nor is it permanent if you don't like it. :)

CarpeDM
January 9th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Locksmith, I've checked out cassia on amazon and it looks like it comes in two forms: oil and powder. The powder I looked at said neutral henna cassia powder. Is that what I want? Will this leave my natural color but lighten the grays?

Locksmith
January 9th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Locksmith, I've checked out cassia on amazon and it looks like it comes in two forms: oil and powder. The powder I looked at said neutral henna cassia powder. Is that what I want? Will this leave my natural color but lighten the grays?

It's the powder you want. Cassia is sometimes called "neutral henna" because it has similar conditioning and strengthening properties to henna but without the powerful red dye, although it's actually a different plant. It should turn your silvers golden; you look as though you have a similar hair colour to me, and I've never had it change my hair colour, so the rest of it should be fine I'd think. I've never used cassia to dye though, so I can't help you with that. This thread, however, is a mine of information on the stuff! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=42754

CarpeDM
January 9th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Thank you :)

LaurelSpring
January 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I've read that walnut hulls give a good brown dye, possibly to add to cassia.

I thought about trying walnut hulls and ordered some, but ktani had some info on here somewhere that they can be toxic so I threw it away and never tried it.

Here is the link to the picture I had posted on the Salt and Pepper thread. This picture shows the nice blonde color on my roots from the Cassia/Catnip mix. Just ignore the henna red bun.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=505566#post505566

KLin
January 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I had a cassia oil, thought I would try it to tame some halo around a bun. Just used two drops, however it was essential oil that burned my scalp. Ooops. It has been days, and my scalp is still sensitive.
Maybe powder as a gloss will be a nicer option.

CarpeDM
January 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
OK so after reading some more about cassia does anyone know...

1) how long you let cassia sit on your head in order to cover up some grays?
2) what the ratio of cassia to let's say chamomile or catnip tea is (my hair is currently two inches away from BSL with a ponytail circumference of 2.75)?
3) how long you should let both sit before you apply?

CarpeDM
January 12th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Goodness I am super tender headed and my scalp is easily irritated so I'm not even going to try the oil then :headache:

KLin
January 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
There may be a better or different oil. I had a cassia in my EO pile, and was not smart in using a few drops on my halo. It was a straight essential oil and way too strong it burned me. I would have known better if I had thought about it first, but it was more of an impulse thing that ended up hurting.

Not to say a few drops in jojoba or coconut as a main ingredient wouldn't be okay. Just not ready to try it now.

Anje
January 14th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Cassia essential oil is a COMPLETELY different herb than the cassia (aka neutral henna) that people put on hair. The oil is related to cinnamon and most sites specifically warn that it should never ever be applied to skin because it causes sensitization, irritation, and even chemical burns. I'm really rather surprised that the bottle KLin got didn't have warning labels on it, because it should have.

The cassia we put on hair is Cassia obovata, but the classification is rather in flux and it seems like the current species name is Senna italica. It's closely related to the laxative, and isn't at all cinnamon-like. It gives a yellowish tone to hair that's mostly noticeable on white and light blond hair.

I would suggest that you stay away from henna if you're afraid of red. Henna is permanent stuff, and the color it comes in is red. Similarly, indigo can be very permanent or else will wash off and leave only the red henna base underneath, and indigo turns green if you attempt to bleach it off. Steer clear of those two herbal colorings until you've done some strand tests and are ready to commit to a color that is only really possible to remove with scissors.

CarpeDM
January 14th, 2011, 03:36 PM
This morning I mixed up my first batch of cassia powder and catnip, I am just about to apply it, please wish me luck I feel like I am going to need it :ohmy:

beez1717
January 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM
When your hair turns grey it means to me that you have earned another wonderful hair color. I think grey and/or white hair can look amazing. Just my two cents.

CarpeDM
January 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
So the verdict is that the cassia and catnip worked well as a conditioner and body builder but it didn't cover the gray :(

Rini
January 15th, 2011, 01:44 AM
So the verdict is that the cassia and catnip worked well as a conditioner and body builder but it didn't cover the gray :(

Pics please??? :D

beez1717: I totally agree with you, hence my decision to not dye my hair anymore and let it go totally silver. It's just nice to temporarily change the look from time to time :)

CarpeDM
January 15th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'm going to try it one more time and post the pics. When I did it this first time, I steeped the catnip overnight. I then added one cup of the tea to 1/3 cup of cassia the next morning and let the mix sit for only 7 hours when 10-12 was recommended. I also let it sit on my head for one hour as opposed to the recommended 3. This next time I am going to let it sit for the 10-12 hours and I am going to add some lemon to the mix. I will also try to let it sit on my head longer than one hour and see what happens.

Celtic Morla
January 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Sage supposedly will drarken greys. Since I had blond then grey I have never tried it but it is in my herbal book I will find the recipe when I get home from work and post it

CarpeDM
January 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Yes please post it. What sort of sage should I use, the kind you cook with?

Rini
January 16th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I've tried the sage thing, and it didn't do anything. I think Mellie tried it too (for longer than me) and still no difference. I'd be really interested in seeing pics of someone who it DID work for though!

Locksmith
January 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Sage is one that you have to repeat a *lot* before it shows any effects, IIRC. I've thought about using it to darken my hair, but I really can't be bothered to do it several times a week.

CarpeDM
January 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
So I tried it again today and this time let the mixture sit for 12 hours. Then I let it sit on my head for two hours. AND it still didn't make a dent in my grays.

cleanbug
January 17th, 2011, 06:27 AM
So I tried it again today and this time let the mixture sit for 12 hours. Then I let it sit on my head for two hours. AND it still didn't make a dent in my grays.
what did you mix your henna with? what henna did you use? when i am mixing henna, i use jamilia or yemen. i mix with water or cold tea & 2 tsp of lemon juice. i let it sit for about 4-5 hrs then freeze.
i find that freezing it after dye release & thawing it creates an even stronger dye.
the next day, or whenever i need to do my roots, i'll take the henna out of the freezer & let the baggie sit on the counter & thaw naturally, & then apply.
i make sure my hair is freshly washed & i use no conditioner & make sure the shampoo has no silicones. i don't know if this makes a difference but i want to make sure there that there is nothing coating my hair that could inhibit dye uptake.
then i apply with a root touch up brush & make 1/4 inch sections. i have a water bottle to spray the root area to make sure its really saturated because sometimes the hair starts to dry by the time i get going.
then i cover with a shower cap & make sure the temples are covered with saran/plastic wrap so they stay wet too.
after 4-5 hrs, i wash it out. i have a lot of grey (75%) and this method works well for me.
you can check out my website too for more info.
hopefully, you can get a method that works for you.

EbonyCurls
January 17th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'm no help sorry. I absolutely love grey hairs. I think it looks unique and even exotic, especially on a younger person. But at the same time, I can appreciate if you want to hold on to a certain color. It's one of the reasons I'm growing my hair long now. I want to see what it looks like in dark-brown, before it turns grey.

CarpeDM
January 17th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hi Cleanbug, I ended up using cassia with catnip and lemon instead of henna because I wasn't ready to take the plunge into anything permanent. I'm still looking for something to cover them naturally and without any permanent color if anyone has any ideas....

CarpeDM
January 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Anyone????

nmarie33
January 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm still searching for the answer too - just in the last few month's I've seen white hair growing from the top of my head (darkish brown hair), and my boyfriend's dark blonde hair is getting pretty gray. Cassia and catnip seem to do nothing for either of us though. My next experiment for him will be a chammomile concoction, and for myself I thought I might try coffee or molasass...but I haven't found any really good instructions or recipes along those lines.

CarpeDM
January 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Well keep me posted fellow slight whitey, I need some help LOL :)

KLin
January 23rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
I have brown hair and I am trying to use a mix of rosemary and sage as a rinse. I have used it once, yesterday and will try again tomorrow. Then I am going to be on vacacation with family for a week...
I mixed 1/8 cup each with two cups water and steeped then let set overnight. ((Husband and kids tired out and crashed early)) So I reheated til warm. I dunked a grey in the mix for a few mins while I prepared myself. Then I poured over my head as many times as I could catch the rinse and re-use. 12+ times. The grey has some darker color on the side I tested.
I did not rinse out after the final rinse. I do need to find a better catch bowl, and will try the tub as working in the shower was not working very well.
I love the herbal smell of the rosemary and sage. I think wild sage grows on our property in the mountains. I will be so happy if this is true in the spring. I can grow rosemary at this house easy.

CarpeDM
January 24th, 2011, 12:50 PM
hmmmmmmmm that sounds interesting....

mellie
January 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM
As Rini mentioned, I tried both sage and rosemary, they didn't do a durn thing. I tried the sage for months and months. Nothing. Rosemary can affect menstruation and hormones, and since I take continuous BCs, I decided that pouring over my scalp every day was possibly a bad idea, so I discontinued it also.

If you really can't embrace your silvers yet, red raspberry leaf infusion did stain my silvers pretty decently. It made my hair feel a little weird, and had to be reapplied every time after I shampooed, but it did work to some degree. It's really a hassle though. It's much easier to just embrace your sparklies!

CarpeDM
January 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Alas, Mellie, you and the others may be right, I might just have to embrace my tinsel since that hassle part sounds really unappealing...how much gray do I have to have to be in the renegrays?

mellie
January 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Haha, as Cmnt831 says, it's not about the quantity, it's about the attitude! :-) We'll welcome you any time you're ready!

CarpeDM
January 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Nice, I like that :laugh:

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Lately I've been thinking of just hand painting some henna on my grey strands alone, has anyone tried this?