PDA

View Full Version : Tips for sore scalp?

leoninnu
January 5th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I'm looking for advice about what to do to a sore scalp. It's been sore for about 4 days now. I've tried having hair down days and sleeping with my hair open but it just doesn't go away. There seems to be two particular problem areas that hurt more than rest of my scalp, one on the top of my head and the other one at the back of my head. If I put my hair up, no matter how loose updo or braid I make I feel the pinching ache like my whole hairdo was hanging on one strand from either of these spots when it really isn't. I can't feel anything up there and I can't see anything weird when I try to look at the top of my head from the mirror.

Should I try a scalp massage or will it just potentially irritate more?

ravenreed
January 5th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I have days where my scalp is extra tender, usually right around my period for some reason. Can you wear your hair down for a few more days and give your scalp a break? If it continues, you might want to have a doctor check it out, but hair can get heavy and some people cannot tolerate a lot of weight hanging off their scalps. I usually have to redo my braids and updo's a couple times because I have sensitive spots that always feel like something is pulling.

leoninnu
January 5th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I actually have my periods right now. I just haven't had anything like this happening before. I'll wait a few days more then. Good thing I just did a pretty extensive S&D so my hair doesn't get so tangled from being open right now :)

ravenreed
January 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Well, let's hope that is all it is! Glad I mentioned it. :D

Carolyn
January 5th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I have that happen now and then. My hair hurts! I've learned that a change of hair style can help. Also very gentle scalp massaging with the pads of the fingertips. I like to use a little oil when I massage. The one thing that helps the most is it wash my hair. If I get to day 4 without washing, I am almost assured of a sore scalp.

Crazycatlady
January 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I have that happen now and then. My hair hurts! I've learned that a change of hair style can help. Also very gentle scalp massaging with the pads of the fingertips. I like to use a little oil when I massage. The one thing that helps the most is it wash my hair. If I get to day 4 without washing, I am almost assured of a sore scalp.
This happens to me. If I go too long between shampoos, the back of my head, near my neck feels so sore. Almost like it's bruised. After I shampoo it's fine.

Madora
January 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM
If you brush, have you changed your direction of brushing? That is to say, bending down to brush when you are accustomed to standing while brushing.

If the roots of the hair are suddenly being brushed in a different direction than what they are accustomed to, they will hurt and so will your scalp.

This also happens if you try certain hairstyles that take the hair in directions it hasn't gone before. Also, be sure you're not pulling your hair too tightly in ponytails or braids.

A gentle scalp massage (if you can bear it) is helpful.

Anje
January 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Have you washed lately?

I get sore if I wear my hair too high or parted in a weird place, going the wrong direction, etc. Usually my short term solution is to put it in a low braid to minimize tangling while leaving the hair in as natural a direction as possible. That said, washing seems to me like it almost "resets" the scalp and makes it feel normal again, faster.

Eboshi
January 5th, 2011, 09:17 AM
What sort of hair accessories do you use to put your hair up. Some people have/develop a nickel allergy that manifests in soreness. Fakkares, non-stainless steel metal forks or uncoated bobby pins could do it.

leoninnu
January 5th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thank you for all the advice you have given :)

I washed my hair just yesterday. I'm a twice a week washer. It didn't help to this problem I'm afraid.

There might be something on the brushing direction. I haven't at least conciously changed directions but I have started to use a comb again after a short break, just a week or so ago. I'll pay more attention to that next time I comb.

I haven't wore any new hairstyles lately. I've tried one or two but untied them after just trying what they looked like. But my ponytail height does go up and down based on how I feel so that could be it too. Also since my hair is still a bit too short and thin for proper buns I'm mostly using just scrunchies and elastics in my hair, no metals.

I'm going to try to massage my scalp very gently tonight so let's see what it feels like tomorrow then. Thanks again everyone :)

Anywhere
January 5th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Scalp massages help me for a little bit, but a good washing (I CO wash) makes my scalp feel better for the long term.

anthonyswife
January 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I find an olive oil scalp soak is extremely soothing when my scalp is sore (I've always been very tender-headed so it gets sore pretty often). Heat the olive oil in the microwave in increments and then pour it over your scalp. Depending on how sore it is you can massage it in and leave it on for about a half hour or however long you prefer. You can use any oil, really, I've just always used olive since I always had it on hand.

I hope you find comfort soon!

leoninnu
January 6th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Alright, today most of my scalp is starting to feel okay but the sorest spot on the back of my head is still the same if not worse. I can keep my hair tied for 30 minutes maximum before it becomes too painful so I've been keeping my hair open (had to tie my hair when I peeled and chopped potatoes because I couldn't see what I was doing from behind the hair curtain :rolleyes:) I haven't brushed because that doesn't feel good either. All in all I have just avoided touching my hair or scalp.

But AARGH! At this point, after 5 days I just feel like slapping a bag of ice on top of my head and wish it away :steam

hayesa
January 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I sometimes get a sore, itchy scalp for seemingly no reason- what I've found really helps is tea. A couple of pints of boiling hot water onto a standard tea-bag. Let it cool until it's just warm, pour it in the sink with the plug in, and dip your head in. You look a bit daft, but I think it works!

I don't normally rinse my hair after, just flip it back over and comb it out. Sometimes there's some tangling, but nothing that can't be easily undone.

:)

leoninnu
January 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Oh yeah! I forgot to post what happened!

Alright. My scalp is totally fine now. I actually found out that I had started to comb my hair to different direction from the back. I have a very strong and stubborn natural middle parting that goes very far back. For some reason I had started to comb my hair back from the top of the scalp. I have no idea why as it was not a concious decision. I noticed this at about the 7th day of soreness and at that point the pain was already decreasing so I decided to just soldier it up and go through with it as I really liked the new parting and had already suffered so much for it :D