PDA

View Full Version : New and Need Support

Wheatland
January 5th, 2011, 12:41 AM
First off, Hello!

Second, I am new here but I've been lurking all day and reading different threads, and waiting for someone to approve my account so that I could finally post!

In November (2010) I cut my hair into a very short pixie. I was egged on by my boyfriend (I still haven't forgiven him, he knows I always match a challenge.) Before I cut it it was just below my shoulders or what you guys would call APL. I am now starting the very painful process of growing it out.

I am to the point where it's getting very mullet-y looking. I'm trying to push myself get through it and not do any trimming. I want to get to longer hair as fast as possible.

It's proving to be very difficult and I need some mental support. Whenever I try to talk to my family or friends about my hair they always roll their eyes. They say they're tired of hearing me talk about it because I'm always changing it. :(

So I need support from people who actually realize what a big deal it is.

And that was really long... But maybe someone will read it.

Thanks! and I'm looking forward to posting here.

christine1989
January 5th, 2011, 12:50 AM
First off, welcome to LHC! :) You will soon find that nearly everyone on here can sympathise with a bad haircut and the painful process of growing it out (especially those awful layers!) It sounds like you are in a tough phase in the growing out process- layers and too short for any updos. At this point you could grow it out one of two ways; 1.) just tough it out and grow it trim free or 2.) Grow it but get little trims and adjustments along the way until it gets a bit longer. It all depends on how annoyed you are with your current hair. Personally, when I gerw out from a pixie I evened it out to a one length bob before growing so it didn't look akward as it grew.

Wheatland
January 5th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Thank you :]

I think that within three or four months I could get it into a sufficient bob, it's growing rather quickly.

I think I'm just spazzing out because I'm going to visit my family in a few days and the mullet thing is embarrassing. Hairbands make it less noticeable, but you're spot on when you say it's really just a tough phase.

I've been experimenting with some hair products though to make my hair a bit messier which seems to help but it's really just not who I am.

Maybe I should cut the back part by my neck. Hm..

JulietCapulet
January 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Oh my gosh...I'm sorry he did that. Watch movies where a cute girl protagonist has a short pixie do...like Sabrina and roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn. Imagine you are Audrey until it grows out! :-D

Milo
January 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Welcome Wheatland! I'm pretty new myself, but I know the people here are very supportive and very, very knowledgeable. And they'll never tire of hearing you talk about your hair!

Wheatland
January 5th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Haha, that's kind of what I've been doing. I've been looking for pictures of Emma Watson with her her new pixie cut and imagining that's what I look like. >.<

Thank you, Milo! I'm so glad to be around people who don't think I'm crazy

Here's a picture of my hair the day it was cut. It's grown about an inch and a half since then.

(I hope I'm doing this picture thing right)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Taylani/71715_1593146821231_1012726581_1632930_592251_n.jp g

Also, another thing I've been having issues is with is that once my hair gets to my shoulders it starts tangling ridiculously. I can't leave it down because of the tangles but I always want to. Anybody know how to stop the tangles?

LittleOrca
January 5th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Welcome to the LHC. You have a lovely face. :)

Wheatland
January 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Thank you. I just wish I had my hair back!

Dragon
January 5th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Also, another thing I've been having issues is with is that once my hair gets to my shoulders it starts tangling ridiculously. I can't leave it down because of the tangles but I always want to. Anybody know how to stop the tangles?

Hi, welcome to LHC. To help with the tangles, leave in conditioner helps. And also putting a few drops of oil from a dropper so you don’t use to much and work that through your hair before you brush or comb it. I like to oil on dry hair and I find leave in conditioner works best for wet hair. Oil is my favourite detangler.

Wheatland
January 5th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Hi, welcome to LHC. To help with the tangles, leave in conditioner helps. And also putting a few drops of oil from a dropper so you don’t use to much and work that through your hair before you brush or comb it. I like to oil on dry hair and I find leave in conditioner works best for wet hair. Oil is my favourite detangler.

When you say oil... do you mean olive oil or special oil you buy for your hair?

Thanks for the welcome!

Dragon
January 5th, 2011, 02:37 AM
When you say oil... do you mean olive oil or special oil you buy for your hair?

Thanks for the welcome!

My favourite oil is olive oil but I will some times use avocado and jojoba oil.

Wheatland
January 5th, 2011, 02:40 AM
My favourite oil is olive oil but I will some times use avocado and jojoba oil.
Good to know. Thanks.

bunzfan
January 5th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Welcome i have grown my hair from your length and it can be tough, i grow it into a bob and went from there so it was easier to live with that probably took me about 7 months but if you have the will power not to cut you go for it:)

One big tip don't get it trimmed like they tell you to every 8 weeks i did this for the past four years and it took my 4 years to get from a bob to APL. When i joined i was APL and now i am BSL and i have only cut once in the last 7 months. Good luck ;)

Night_Kitten
January 5th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Hi Wheatland, welcome to LHC! :D
Oiling can help prevent tangles and help combing them out, I usually use coconut or jojoba oil, sometimes olive oil for deep treatments.
To find the best oil for you, you'll have to try different oils untill you find the one you like best, as it can vary from person to person...
Growing out a pixie can be a real pain, what I did is trimming the bottom alittle every once in a while untill it was all one length at around chin or so...
The most important thing is - don't despair, it WILL grow! :)

Blandine
January 5th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Wow that photo looks like a star portrait taken by some scene photographer!

Yup, patience. It will grow.

In the meantime, there is the whole world of headbands and headscarves. A thin scarf round the head like a headband and the ends falling loose down your back should look nice (and feel like a long ponytail).

Fethenwen
January 5th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Here's a picture of my hair the day it was cut. It's grown about an inch and a half since then.

(I hope I'm doing this picture thing right)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Taylani/71715_1593146821231_1012726581_1632930_592251_n.jp g
Oh my goodness what a lovely photo! And lovely hair :)

I totally understand that you want to grow it out though, I went through almost the same a few years ago. I promised myself to never ever cut it short again.

I did get a few trims along the way to even thing out, but I never trimmed it much, I wanted to be able to keep it in a ponytail all the time. Soon enough my hair started to hit my shoulders and I could even start braiding it.

I would suggest you try and style and enjoy your hair, even through this awkward phase, try and wear hairbands or bandanas, pins and bows to make it more interesting. That way time goes by faster and you might not even think too much about the short length.
During this time take super good care of your hair, that way you ensure that when it gets long it gonna be in good health all the way :) My best tip is to take good care of your scalp, do not wash it too often and maybe you could try oiling and headmassage. This way you will minimize shedding and maybe even get your hair to grow a bit faster.
I also recommend to read through the article section to get some info on hair care and such. Good luck!

ddiana1979
January 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Welcome to LHC!

Headbands with decorative elements like flowers, rhinestones, feathers, etc. hide a multitude of "awkward length" sins. Also scarves. I think a long scarf tied around your head as a headband with the ends hanging down your back would look darn cute, and it'd cover up the mullet look.

You have very pretty hair & a beautiful face. . . you're going to look fantastic with long hair!

Henrietta
January 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hello on the board! :)
Cheer up, cheer up! HAVING long hair is fun but GROWING it is fun as well. To quote CinnamonHair- 'journey is half the fun!':) Just be rule it's growing all the time, more or less 0,013333333 inch a day:)
Talking with the family... It's always hard. Because most of people are just "wash and go" when it comes to hair. So we, with our boar bristle brushes, coconut oil, CWC washing method etc. seem to be aliens for them:D

Can you wear your hair up already? Anyhow? It's easier to cope up with weird stages this way. I was tired of checking and checking and checking the length and my hair didn't grow for few months, so I just began to wear it up all the time. One day after a few months I measured and tadaaa- it was longer and looked longer:D

Smile! Cheer up! Growing long hair is funny:) If you want it long, just start over. Stop thinking "why I have cut it, why? It was such a mistake..." From January 2011 you are growing long hair. 3,2,1, go!

Wheatland
January 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM
AH! Thank all of you so much for the support. I bought some headbands with some bows and I'm going to try the scarf thing in a few days. I will take some pics and hopefully someone can tell me what looks best. I'm feeling much better about my hair today and I'm ready to start the growth!

I also changed up my make up a bit from how I usually do it and that seemed to help my hair depression ^.^

I am definitely going to try the oil thing. Should I start doing it now or wait till my hair gets longer?

Those who commented on the quality of the pic, my boyfriend is a photographer.

I tried the scarf thing with a bit of fabric I had laying around. I like it a lot and I think I'm going to go out and buy some.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Taylani/28865093204_ORIG-1.jpg

dolphin
August 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Wow, you look absolutely chic in that black and white photo. I haven't ahd my hair cut that short but am planning to in order to get rid of damage. Hair grows, it'll be much longer in a year for sure. I'd say for now look at beautiful celebs with short hair (e.g. audrey hepburn, emma watson) and see how they style their hair for inspiration.