PDA

View Full Version : What does "manageable" hair mean?

jaine
January 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Another possibly silly question from me today...what does it mean when people refer to "manageable" hair? Does that mean it's less tangly? Less slippery? More likely to stay in an updo? Not cowlicking? Not having a weird shape? Something else??

I will admit I have been confused about this ever since I heard it in shampoo commercials as a kid and never asked anyone what it meant...I was embarrassed to ask! :confused:

But today is my day to air all my silly questions so I might as well!! :)

sedonia
January 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I think it is a vague, meaningless term that really means "hair the way I want it". As in, if I don't like your hair, its "unmanageable". If I can't force my hair to do what I want, its "unmanageable".

Often "unmanageable" is used in reference to long hair, curly hair, kinky hair, or long, curly, kinky hair :-)

Often "manageable" is used in reference to someone who has followed the herd and cut his/her hair or straightened his/her hair, bought the trendy products, etc.

torrilin
January 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
To me, it is a buzzword. If you take it literally, it means "hair that can be managed". And well, it's a pretty dumb term since all hair can be managed... you just need to know how. It's all about technique. No shampoo, conditioner or styling product can magically make things better.

From listening to other people talk, it's clear that what is actually meant is "this product will make your unfashionable hair texture act like the fashionable texture". In the 1980s, my hair was unmanageable. Too straight, too slippery, too fine, and too floaty. These days, no one would dream of suggesting it's unmanageable. Nothing about my hair has changed, but fashion's opinion of it sure has!

christine1989
January 4th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I take it to mean hair that is tangle free and that you can run a comb/brush through eaisly. Most of all it is just some word that is used to sell hair products since it is so vauge and means different things to different people.

jaine
January 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks!! I feel a lot less silly now for not knowing exactly what that meant.

ElusiveMuse
January 4th, 2011, 08:24 PM
To me, personally, which may not be how the shampoo commercials mean it, it means wash-and-go hair. Hair that will air dry smooth and pretty.

GRU
January 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Manageable hair = hair that is not on GRU's head.

Other than that, I can't tell you much. :shrug:

jaine
January 4th, 2011, 08:41 PM

LOL!!
Your hair is so lovely gru!!
I was thinking the same thing about my hair reading these definitions, although mine isn't as glorious as yours. Brushed easily? Nope. Combed easily? Nope. Air dries smooth on its own? NOOOOOOO, no no no, definitely no. Does what I want it to do? Nope. Pretty much the only time my hair has been "manageable" was at pixie length, and for 4 days after the blowout I got with my last haircut. Maybe I need a new goal instead of trying to manage it.

littlenvy
January 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM

((( Gru )))
I for one LOVE your hair!!
And you do such a beautiful job managing it :)

GoddesJourney
January 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Easy to deal with, like brush and comb through without snagging or tangling. I also think of hair that doesn't need to be babied so much.

McFearless
January 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Easy to style, control. Doesn't take a lot of work to maintain.

GRU
January 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
LOL!!
Your hair is so lovely gru!!
I was thinking the same thing about my hair reading these definitions, although mine isn't as glorious as yours. Brushed easily? Nope. Combed easily? Nope. Air dries smooth on its own? NOOOOOOO, no no no, definitely no. Does what I want it to do? Nope. Pretty much the only time my hair has been "manageable" was at pixie length, and for 4 days after the blowout I got with my last haircut. Maybe I need a new goal instead of trying to manage it.

((( Gru )))
I for one LOVE your hair!!
And you do such a beautiful job managing it :)

I do not manage my hair -- it manages me!

Seriously... all I did was stop fighting against it, and it just does what you see all by itself. I feed it what it wants to eat, I pet it the way it wants to be pet, and I don't try to force it to do anything it doesn't want to do. As long as I live by its rules, it doesn't strangle me in my sleep.

:shrug:

Fufu
January 5th, 2011, 12:01 AM
My meaning of manageable hair is: Frizz-free, no tangles and hair looks good even without any styling products.

ravenreed
January 5th, 2011, 01:14 AM
My hair and I are often not on speaking terms. How is it possible that it has been up in a braid for two days and yet I woke up with one errant shed hair wrapped around my neck? Is my hair really plotting to kill me? :confused:

Yeah, the whole manageable thing has always been a mystery to me. The only time my hair was manageable was when it was too short to tangle.

Seriously... all I did was stop fighting against it, and it just does what you see all by itself. I feed it what it wants to eat, I pet it the way it wants to be pet, and I don't try to force it to do anything it doesn't want to do. As long as I live by its rules, it doesn't strangle me in my sleep.

GRU
January 5th, 2011, 06:26 AM
My hair and I are often not on speaking terms. How is it possible that it has been up in a braid for two days and yet I woke up with one errant shed hair wrapped around my neck? Is my hair really plotting to kill me? :confused:

Evidently, you either didn't feed it what it wanted to be fed, or you didn't pet it when it wanted to be pet! :lol:

Avital88
January 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Is for me hair with healthy ends, no splits and easy to comb. great shine and health.Hair that is good without using too much stuff, just healthy looking full hair.Oh and yea no frizz! which i finally start to get rid off after years..:) yeeey to no heat

SpinDance
January 5th, 2011, 08:33 AM

That! Yes. Now I don't have stunning hair like you GRU, but once I stopped trying to make my hair be or act like something it wasn't, it suddenly was much easier to 'manage'.

To me, manageable means just that, something that can be managed. The trick was learning what sort of "managing" to do. I don't use fine toothed combs, ever, only forks, extremely wide toothed 'detangling' combs or my fingers. S&D to get rid of splits or damage, micro trims as/if needed, lots of conditioner. Panacea, oils and updo's.