PDA

View Full Version : Sad :(

bluesnowflake
January 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I did pin curls today, and the results were lovely, but I couldn't comb them or they'd poof, so my hair got really tangled :(. Just finished detangling, and it pulled out a bunch of pieces- way more than I'd normally shed with a comb-out. I'll definitely be more careful with the curls next time. Any tips for gently detangling? I work through with a wide-tooth comb and try to get hairs out one at a time from the largest knots.

Madora
January 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Use your fingers, not your comb, to gently untangle snarls/mats.

Detangling in General: Take a small section of hair, and using a wide tooth comb, gently comb, starting at the bottom of the strands and working up to the scalp. You have much more control over your hair, instead of just trying to comb from the top of the head down (and running into snarls). Take your time when combing and you'll reap the results.

myria
January 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Comb it out before you do the pincurls then, like madora said, just break the curls up a little with your fingers.

cataphract
January 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM
if it seems hopeless, or you get frustrated, use a nice non-sticky oil (i.e. NOT castor oil) while you do it. Something that's liquid at room temperature. I've used sweet almond oil before. Then get out your wide tooth, or your fingers, and start slow, at the bottom. I get the best results when I only go up a millimeter or two above the bottom of the knot.

Don't yank, it just pulls them tighter. Use a mirror or something so you can actually SEE the knot.

Put on your favorite movie and grab some chocolate or tea or something. It can take a while, but if you're going about it slowly and patiently you'll not only feel better at the end but your hair will be happier too.