PDA

View Full Version : Hair feels like crap, going to try something a little different...

monsterna
January 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Okay, I've been getting quite a few splits lately and am still growing out a few inches of highlight damage. My hair feels great after a clarify and deep moisture treatment, but after that and back to COing, it feels like crap.

I blow dry five days a week (before work). On the warm setting or the cool one. However, that's not where I feel I'm getting damage. I think it's from the blow dryer tangling my hair all up and then even with the most gentle finger combing and untangling, some pieces still break.

So I'm going to try to go cold turkey on the blow dryer! (This is a huge deal for me, mmkay ><) I will shower at night now so I can let it air dry, and at most only re-wet and blow dry my bangs in the morning.

Wish me luck! I hope it's not too bad....

renarok
January 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Good luck! ;)

Lemur_Catta
January 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Have you tried blow drying from above, finger combing as you dry? My hair doesn't tangle this way, and it's really worth the effort of keeping your arm up all the time :D

monsterna
January 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Have you tried blow drying from above, finger combing as you dry? My hair doesn't tangle this way, and it's really worth the effort of keeping your arm up all the time :D

Yep, I do that and I still get tangles near the ends. :(

Avital88
January 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM
You will get used to it quick! good luck and it will be better for your hair.

Rini
January 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Just a thought: is it possible that the CO you are using is building up (you say hair feels better after a clarifying)? Maybe try another CO. As for blow drying, I haven't used one for many many years...I don't miss it. Washing at night is a good idea.

(off topic: I like your avatar. I LOVE The Tudors too....Natalie Dormer was amazing as Anne Boleyn!)

emsahib
January 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
You will get used to it quick! good luck and it will be better for your hair.

I agree it will soon feel normal, and washing your hair in the evening is alot better as you probably won't be in a rush like you might be for work, you'll even save time in the mornings maybe have a bit more of a lay in :)

monsterna
January 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Just a thought: is it possible that the CO you are using is building up (you say hair feels better after a clarifying)? Maybe try another CO. As for blow drying, I haven't used one for many many years...I don't miss it. Washing at night is a good idea.

(off topic: I like your avatar. I LOVE The Tudors too....Natalie Dormer was amazing as Anne Boleyn!)

I do use a coney conditioner as my hair responds well to them (versus, say, Burt's Bees condish). However, if you or maybe someone else could point me in the direction of a cone-free but moisturizing condish, that'd be great!

And yay for Tudors fans!

amaiaisabella
January 4th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hm, I hold my hair together to one side with one hand while I blow-dry with the other. This keeps the hair contained and tangle-free but still dries. I believe I read this method from someone else on the site, but cannot remember which member, mea culpa :flower:

GhostLocks
January 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I know how you feel, lately my hair has been dry and splitting even though I have been taking care of it. I don't know if it's because of the cold air and dryness of winter or if it's the new shampoo and conditioner I have been using. I might give my hair a trim and deep condition later. That should help.

maus
January 4th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I do use a coney conditioner as my hair responds well to them (versus, say, Burt's Bees condish). However, if you or maybe someone else could point me in the direction of a cone-free but moisturizing condish, that'd be great!

Since it sounds like you have hair similar to mine: When I went cone-free I tried Burt's Bee condi, but didn't like it at all. Now I am using AO - the Honeysuckle was way too rich for me, but I really like their Camomile stuff (moisturizing or volumizing). Might be worth a try. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Artsy
January 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Have you tried Fructis Triple Moisture? It feels very coney and rich

monsterna
January 4th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Have you tried Fructis Triple Moisture? It feels very coney and rich

I just bought some and will try it later on. If it's no good, I'll take it back and get some AO!

Thanks everyone.