PDA

View Full Version : Well, where did that come from?

Aveyronnaise
January 4th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Since I have begun my 'kindness to my hair ' journey I have begun to notice that my hair is growing wavier and wavier. I'm a bit torn , it's actually a really pretty wave, but now it'll take longer to show length .
Has anyone else noticed that a wave has shown up late in life ? I'm 35.
Does anyone else have experience of a wave showing up longer on the growth ? I am about 2 inches above APL.
One interesting thing is that my mother always said her hair became it's most beautiful after she stopped messing with it . Hers turned from almost straight from bleaching it to an amazing honey blond mane of ringlets.
Sometime mothers are so wise :)

PiroskaCicu
January 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I have noticed the same thing. My hair is a lot wavier than from before I started taking good care of it. :) I really like it.

craftybunn
January 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM
YES! I have noticed more waves in my own hair since I quit using harsh shampoos and weighing it down with conditioner. I have been doing a few cassia treatments too that seem to have accentuated what used to be barely a hint of wave.

maus
January 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM
My hair seems to be changing textures all the time. Seems to be wavier now that I have started taking proper care of it as well.

tinti
January 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Aveyronnaise! Yep, that happened to me to, when I threw the coney and sulfate-filled stuff in the trash can. Sometimes you have to grow your hair longer before the waves appear, because they need more lenght to show, so that's not an unusual thing :)

MAO
January 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Since I started taking better care of my hair, I have noticed that products aren't necessary at all to bring out my wurls and make them play nice!

Theobroma
January 4th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Has anyone else noticed that a wave has shown up late in life ? I'm 35.

Yes. The reason I grew out my fringe was that after fifteen years of behaving perfectly well, it suddenly acquired a few weird kinks and twists and REFUSED to hang straight even if I wet it and blowdried it around a round brush three times a day. My hair has always been somewhat wavy, but in recent years it will form loose corkscrews if I let it. (I do let it. But the spirals don't survive bunning or braiding, so I only really have a mop of all-natural curls just after washing.)

Treating it nicely and giving up sulphates has, if anything, intensified this development, though I think the biggest factor is still the age-related texture change.

Aveyronnaise
January 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah I was considering long fringe . I am definitely going to hold off on that one for a while .

rena
January 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Sounds just like my mom. She's in her fifties now and her hair has gone from stick/poker/bone-won't hold a curl to save its life straight to developing long "S" waves when it dries untouched, and it also now holds curl rather well when wet.

spidermom
January 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM
For me, I think it was a length thing. My curls are the loose kind, so it required length for them to form. They showed up around APL and continued strong down to about hip. Now I think the length is pretty much pulling them out. My hair went from very fluffy with no defined waves or curls at all to wavy/curly to pretty much straight with swirly ends.

PiroskaCicu
January 4th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I agree that it's also a length thing. Some waves/curls require length to show up. My younger sister, when she has short, chin length hair, it looks straight but when her hair was waist it was wavy with swirly ends.

Elenna
January 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
My hair was always contrary including cowlicks. I'd blow dry and use a curling iron. And chemical dye it too. My hair was a dried out, overprocessed mess.

I'm being a lot nicer to my hair. I stopped the hair dye, and let it grow out waves and all. Yesterday, some lady felt my hair and said, "it feels like silk."

Chiara
January 5th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Yes, this happened to me too. My hair now has a real wave to it if I don't comb when wet. Very surprising after a lifetime of thinking I was a straight hair!

kschr2004
January 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Yes, this happened to me too. My hair now has a real wave to it if I don't comb when wet. Very surprising after a lifetime of thinking I was a straight hair!

This! I was noticing this year that my hair was wavy when wet, and I was seeing some S waves. So I typed my hair this weekend, and turns out that I am actually on the verge of wavy. Crazy, since I always thought I was stick straight (and I am almost 40 years old now).

I will say that the waves still pretty much comb right out if I comb my hair wet out of the shower though.

KittyPie
January 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM
oh! I hope I hope I hope I get some waves! I'm just starting to take my hair a bit more seriously so we shall see...

Kaeita
January 5th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I've had my hair long in the past (mid-back was long to me!), and it was wavy with a bend at the end. It was dead straight when much shorter. Now it's just past shoulder length wet, and has round curls at the bottom, in some places it goes round 2 or 3 times. It's been wavy in the shorter layers too, which it never was before. I noticed this change after I started doing overnight heavy oilings with coconut oil, and a couple of times with castor oil mixed with the coconut oil. Clarifying made it curlier too. I'm still trying to work out what's best for my hair in terms of waves/curls, as before I was doing a mixture of water only, no-poo (baking soda with acv rinse), and hemp oil shampoo and conditioner, depending on what I felt like doing on a particular day. Right now I'm doing my best to ignore it for a week as I've played with it too much since I found this site, and it's gotten a bit over-oily.

jojo
January 6th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Ive always had wavy hair, curly when short but due to using hair dryers and straighteners in the past never realised just how much wave my hair had when longer. Nowadays I just wash and leave and am embracing my natural texture plus its much more healthier these days.

CarpeDM
January 6th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I am so wishing my hair will wave as I grow it out longer. Wishing and hoping :meditate:

Xandergrammy
January 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
When I had long hair the first time (1960-something to 1981), I had straight hair. I wore my hair very short for many years then decided to grow it at the age of 40. The longer it got, the more I noticed the waves. If I let my hair dry untouched it will dry very wavy with loose ringlets on the ends. :inlove: