PDA

View Full Version : Hairdressers

emsahib
January 4th, 2011, 07:47 AM
If I go to the hairdressers and ask them to cut off 1/2 an inch do you think they'll listen or just take off as much as they want, or what they think 1/2 an inch is. In my experience they always seem to take off more than what you say, but that was when my hair was more damaged.

Merlin
January 4th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Depends on how good your hairdresser is - Mrs Merlin's would take off .5" if she asked her to, but then again she's a good hairdresser.

'Hairdressers' is like all broad brush terms: as meaningless as "women", "muslims" or "welsh"

pepperminttea
January 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
It might be worth actually pointing out what half an inch is. I know it sounds silly, but literally, take a ruler with you.

Besides, if they think you're a bit mad, they're less likely to mess with you. :D

Lamb
January 4th, 2011, 07:53 AM
What Merlin said. :agree:

Also, you can make sure they understand what you mean by x inch(es). You can show them on your own hair, taking the ends between thumb and forefinger, and saying: "this much." Easy as pie. :)

(Actually, good hairdressers will do this for you. Mine has always shown me how much she thought she'd cut, and if I'd say less or more, she'd adjust it.)

emsahib
January 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM
It might be worth actually pointing out what half an inch is. I know it sounds silly, but literally, take a ruler with you.

Besides, if they think you're a bit mad, they're less likely to mess with you. :D

Lol act mad might work. You know I did consider taking a tape measure but I dunno if it would seem a bit rude

Madora
January 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Yes, Pepperminttea is right! My all means, SHOW the hairdresser exactly what you want. Do it right away and be polite but firm. You are the customer and are paying for the service. Bring a piece of ribbon already cut to the amount of hair you want trimmed away. "Telling" is not as good as SHOWING exactly what you have in mind.

Sophiawavyhair
January 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I agree with all the above, grab a piece of your hair and show the hairdresser exactly how much you want cutt off. And like they said, be a little bit mad! Lol and tell her "I am serious! This is all I want" :mad:" haha it always work for me :) and also WATCH the scissors while shes cutting and watch the floor how much hair shes actually cutting.

spidermom
January 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
It depends on the hairdresser. Mine is so awesome that all I ask her to do is even up the ends so that they're nice and thick again. I used to be very specific about it, though, showing her with my fingers.

emsahib
January 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM
ok I'll try and be firm I suppose seeming a bit mad won't do me that much harm :)

karenpetal
January 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
hey emsahib agreeing with all the above !! I work at a salon myself and would highly recommend to do the following
1. Go to a stylist you already know - if dont know one in the salon choose one whose hair is longer and more in lines of what is your style
2. Be very clear about how much you want cut - if its 1/2 inch - as advised make sure you mention it - if need be hold it and show

Good Luck

annieangel149
January 4th, 2011, 09:39 AM

that is soooo funnny! :laugh: