PDA

View Full Version : Silly Questions

lacefrost
January 3rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
I have a few questions that lots of people seem to already know the answer to but I seemed to have missed the memo.

1. Why is it better to wear a hat in winter? Wouldn't the cloth from the hat be drying? How does covering it protect it? (see I toldja it was a silly question :) )

2. I read somewhere on here that if you were trying to lighten your hair, dyeing it with a lighter color is better for you hair than bleaching it to that shade? Is that true? If so, why?

3. No one may know the answer to this question but I've just been wondering. . .the hair attached to my scalp is pretty fine but if you go down the length of the strand, it gradually gets thicker. My hair has always been like this, anyone know why this might be?

And finally

4. Has anyone gotten henna to play nice with unnatural semipermanent dyes? (Unnatural as in: purple, orange, etc.)

Thank you!

jaine
January 3rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
For #3 - I see the same exact pattern on my shed hairs although most of the old texture has been cut off by now. On my shed hairs I saw a few inches of fine hair at the root, followed by medium or coarse hair near the end. Look at the length of the fine-textured section and count how many months ago it was (about 1/2" per month if your growth rate is average); did you have any hormone or lifestyle or diet changes taking place around then? Pregnancy? Puberty? Diet changes? I started a new diet right before my hair texture started changing. It could be spontaneous though.

Pierre
January 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
The hat is to keep you warm. There are other ways. I braid earmuffs of my hair and cover them with a Buff, then wrap a scarf around my neck. It's important to insulate your carotids, as they are just beneath the skin and go to your brain, so you can't turn the flow down.

redcelticcurls
January 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
As for #1, I wear a satin lined hat. It is less drying than other materials, and the sating is kind to my curl pattern.

littlenvy
January 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
For #1 Cold air can strip your hair of moisture much quicker than any hat ever could. :)

Madora
January 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Wearing a warm hat when your outside protects your scalp and your hair.

Your hair is not happy if you're outside in freezing weather, then go inside the mall where it's nice and toasty. Remove the hat indoors and put it back on when you return outside.

Hair does not like extreme changes in temperatures.

christine1989
January 3rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
I don't see a point to wearing a hat unless where you live is windy or your hair is damp. My hair likes cold weather so I only wear one if there is a blizzard outside. And I've never heard of hairs being thicker at tip! Mine are the opposite of that sometimes but never thicker at the bottom. That one is a mystery to me. :confused:

Imnotarobot
January 3rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
Some of my hair are thicker at the tip, but then they are also thick at the root (just not as thick). These seem to be unhealthy hairs to me.

Night_Kitten
January 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I have to wear hats in the winter because my ears always freeze, LOL :D
Most of my hats are lined with satin so that they won't damage or dry my hair...

As for #3 - Some of my shed hairs are like that too, especially the very long ones - thicker healthy hair at the length and tip, but the first 2-3 inches near the root are much thinner... Maybe it has something to do with the hair growth cycle, perhaps twards the end of the growth cycle the folicle produces thinner hair than usual?

lacefrost
January 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the answers! They definitely make sense to me. I'll start trying to fit my hair in a hat. :)

ravenreed
January 5th, 2011, 02:56 AM
#4- I hennaed a couple of times and didn't like the orange with my skin tone. I went back to my demi-permanent dark burgundy without any trouble. It might have been trickier if I was using a lighter color, but the darker one worked just fine.

Joliebaby
January 5th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I would guess that since hair gets older the further it is from the scalp, the cuticles will be more open, thus making the individual hairs appear thicker?

I have to wear a hat to protect my ears from the cold, but in freezing weather the moisture in your hair will freeze too, expanding the hair, causing damage as severe as heat damage (or so I'm told and it makes sense to me).