PDA

View Full Version : Help with Blue Hair....Please!

gordonse
January 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
To make a long story short, I have blue stripes in my hair, and I don't really want to! It's a long story, so I'll spare you the details, but I'm really at a loss as to what to do about it. I've been told that the dye isn't permanent, but I've also been told it can take several months to come out, and someone even had it last about 6 months. I'm going back to work next week, and I either need a good fix or a good story to tell!
Here's what I've considered:
-Cutting it. But, it's so far up on my head, that I'm not really comfortable with that short of a cut.
-Dyeing it. But, I've never dyed my hair before, and I know that I couldn't/wouldn't keep up the maintenance on dyed hair, so I'm sort of in the same position as I am now.

Do I have any other options?
What should I do?
What would you do?

Help!

ETA: This is what it looked like about a month ago. It's faded ever so slightly using harsh shampoo over the past month, but it's still clearly there! Yikes!
I have no idea what type of dye it is. It's the result of a medical procedure :-/ I was wearing my hair in a braid at the time, so it's all throughout the hair and still obvious when I wear it up (although less so). Thank you all for the many suggestions!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/gordonse/bluehair.jpg

xoxophelia
January 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
I would suggest getting some Dawn and letting it sit in your hair for about an hour to two hours (keeping it wet under a cap). If all else fails you can get a cheap hair piece that close to matches your hair color and put it around a tight bun with your natural hair in it. A little blue might show but it should be passable.

Nae
January 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Well, I am not much help. I really don't have many good ideas on this one, but when I saw the picture my eyes sure got big!!! Maybe a vegetable based dye that will wash out over time. I don't know if Manic Panic has regular colors but you might look there.

Ummmm, can you rock the Lady Gaga thing at work? I am really at a loss.........

Best of luck!!!

redcelticcurls
January 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Blue is a very large color molecule and tends to fade quickly. Some harsh shampoo may take care of a good deal of it.

However, the more porous the hair is, the more likely it is that the color could settle in, especially if it was one of those fun temporary dyes. They tend to have a disclaimer about not using them on dyed hair, because dyed hair is higher porosity so that color won't be so temporary.

I would try the strong shampoos and see what it does.

The bottom blue streak is brighter than the others. That may be because it is older (and probably more porous) hair, so I worry that the last stripe may need to be cut off, or hidden in some updos for six months. ;)

ETA: Also, there may be the professional corrective color option, but I am not sure how that would work on stripes as opposed to a whole head gone awry.

Fractalsofhair
January 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
A pretty harsh shampooing after a heavy oiling to protect your hair will help. Blue doesn't fade completely easily, but it will just look like a toner gone awry, as opposed to BLUE. If it's allowed at your job, then simply say it was a fun little experiment done on New Years to celebrate the change of years, because it is certainly a change!

MandyBeth
January 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Me, I'd live it up and have fun with blue tiger stripes.

christine1989
January 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Since it is supposed to be temporary dye I would just wait it out and wear a lot of updos in the meantime. I have had a few friends who dyed their hair bright colors (even I had purple streaks at one time) and trust me, they fade FAST! Literally, a vibrant hue on monday can be a washed out mess by sunday. If you want to speed the fading then daily shampooing will help a bit too.

lyria
January 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Making a short story longer might help... what kind of dye is it? When did you get the dye in your hair? Even key ingredients could be helpful with researching removal techniques.

If being Lady Gaga at work is an option, don't rush into anything else. Try a tight bun that might hide some of the color and bide your time with strong shampoos. If you get fed up later, try consulting a good hair salon ("good" being the operative word) and see if they have any suggestions.

(If it makes you feel any better, in high school I used temporary spray-in green hair color with the rest of my cross country team as part of home coming celebrations; green being one of our school colors. Unfortunately I was the only blonde on the team so while everyone else came to school on Monday with normal hair, I still looked like a Leprechaun... About a month later it was back to normal. I think I was using Panteen at that point.)

craftybunn
January 3rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Don't do anything harsh or drastic. Blue is one of the quickest colors to fade. Wear it in a bun for a few weeks. It'll be gone soon enough.

Calaelen
January 3rd, 2011, 09:10 PM
As one other poster said, it is important for us to know what product was used. You said the colour has been there for more than a month and barely faded?? As a stylist, I'd be tempted to say your not going to get your natural colour back through fading. There could be fixes done though.

if you'll give a little more information on the product used (was there a developer involved, or is it a deposit only vegetable dye like Manic Panic or Special FX?) I will try to help in anyway I can. In any case, if you want to get rid of the blue, I think somehow lightening the blue ( can give ideas once I know what was used), then colouring over it with something that more closely matches your hair colour is maybe less drastic than cutting it out...

mellie89
January 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Is it Manic Panic? My friend did blue Manic Panic over very porous, highlighted hair, and it was gone within a month. Using some dish soap or a harsh shampoo should help speed the process up.

If it were me, I'd just wear it in updos for a few weeks until it fades away. Definitely give it some time before you do anything drastic! :)

Count on it fading to green before it washes out entirely. :o

lacefrost
January 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I just wanted to pop in to say that I bet your updos look amazing with it in. Personally I'd probably take the plunge and go all over blue. But short of that, yeah, I'd go with what everyone else is suggesting, shampooing it lots and putting it up. It'll fade fast.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
My bright magenta hair color faded completely by the end of 4 months. It faded a little bit every time I washed it. So don't worry; yours will likely fade completely. In the meantime, I'd advise warm oil treatments and wearing your hair up whenever you need to look professional. It looks like the blue starts far enough down that you should be able to tuck most of it under natural-colored hair. If that doesn't work, you could braid a ribbon into your hair and then bun the braid; that will disguise what is going on.

ddiana1979
January 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Definitely DON'T cut it. Your hair is beautiful & long, and this, in the grand scheme of things, is a tiny setback.

I would consult a professional stylist that you trust, or follow up with one on LHC (Calaelen, for example).

If all else fails, just wear it in buns or updos, and wear clothing that flatters blue. People will think it's intentional.

ravenreed
January 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Hmm, I think it looks nifty. I would leave it alone and let it fade.

Elainehali
January 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Baking soda and shampoo will take it out quite fast if it's manic panic type tint.

Lianna
January 3rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
Is it only the top layer? A fully rolled sock bun would hide all if it was. Wait a few more months to fade. Maybe a warm deposit only dye could give you some instant results, if you need them.

ibleedlipstick
January 3rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
I would let it be. If you really can't show blue hair at work, put it in a bun, and then wrap a scarf or something around it. Blue tends to wash out fairly quickly compared to other exotic colors (and this I know, because in searching for a blue-black, I'm only finding red-blacks after a week or so.)

It isn't bad looking at all, and it isn't worth the damage to your hair when it will be gone in less than six months. Seriously, if it is still there in six months, I want to know what you used on your hair, because those of us who want their hair to be blue would give teeth for a color that lasts that long without killing the hair and washing out to green.

serious
January 4th, 2011, 01:24 AM
You say it's a result of a medical procedure, so no one at your work should be mad about it!
You didn't do it intentionally, right?

I wouldn't do anything harsh, but I can understand how you feel. Maybe hot olive oil treatments could help the blue fade faster?

Dragon
January 4th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Since it is temporary dye I think you should leave it and just wear some updos. If the blue shows through the updos, you could wear something over the bun to cover it.

thirstylocks
January 4th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't cut my hair if it was as lovely as yours is! it's not too bright so I would wait it out. I also wouldn't use baking soda or detergent or any other harsh cleansers....you don't want to ruin your hair. I would wait it out a bit longer before taking action.

Night_Kitten
January 4th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I didn't read all the thread, sorry if I'm repeating something that was already said...
Definitely don't cut! Your hair is beautiful, and it's not worth loosing so much length!
You could try deep oilings (oil can remove dyes from hair to some extent, I think olive oil is good for this), and maybe chamomile tee rinces or diluted lemon juice rinces can also help it fade faster?
I think it looks very nice and unique, so unless there's some restrictions as to haircolors at your work place, you should totaly rock it in the mean time! I bet you can get very pritty patterns in braids and updoes :D

milagro
January 4th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I second the question about the type of dye. Is it actually a temporary dye or the result of medical procedure? It's unclear per your description, and it's important to know to find the remedy. If it is the latter it looks very like brilliant green solution (commonly used as antiseptic) and it fades with washes, spirit removes it from skin rather well but I don't know if it works for hair. So you just have to wait and wear your hair in buns for a while. Good thing the tint is not close to your face and the roots so it can be hidden :)

I wouldn't advise dying over it because if it is some metal salt there's a risk to get funny color.

mustpannkook
January 4th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Maybe you should try those dyes that come out if 8 washes or so? They don't ruin your hair like permanent dyes.

skaempfer
January 4th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Have you contacted the place where you had the procedure? They may have an idea. Otherwise, I would wait it out and see if it seems to be fading with oiling, washing, etc, as others have suggested. You can always cut it later if it just doesn't come out and you decide you can stand it.
:grouphug:

Loviatar
January 4th, 2011, 05:40 AM
As it wasn't your fault or intentional I hope your work would be calm about it. I'd contact the place where you had the medical procedure done and ask them.

I have had good luck with heavy oiling (using olive oil and coconut oil) and also with a mix of olive oil, baby shampoo and coconut cream (not coconut milk). I left both on for about an hour, then washed them out. The regular oil I washed out with baby shampoo.

miss_purple
January 4th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Other... please elaborate.

Henna for hair to reach a unique natural color?!

Nymph
January 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM
As a pharmacist/chemically educated person, I might be able to help. There could be chelating agents or stuff that can remove it, but I'd need to know what was in the dye, or the name of the product you used. Don't hesitate to pm me!

venusje
January 4th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I once had methylene blue in my hair.
But that quickly faded to a very disgusting shade of green..
And I just got to the hair dresser and she dyed it more or less back to my original color...
And the green was gone ^^

But as yours continous to stay blue, I don't think it will be methylene blue...

QMacrocarpa
January 4th, 2011, 09:00 AM
For covering your hair at work while you wait for the blue to fade, bun cages, snoods, bun covers, bun wiglets.

If the blue color is from something containing iodine, maybe some of the ideas on this page about getting an iodine stain out of a white horse's coat could help (though some may be too harsh to want to use on your hair):
http://petask.info/horses/horses-45397.html

Anje
January 4th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Honestly, I'd either leave it alone, and tell the work people what happened for real, or get some Manic Panic and do my whole head in blue or purple or some other wild shade and just go with it. All this largely depends on the sort of place you work at, but unless it's like the place where DH works (Casual Friday means he doesn't have to wear a tie, but otherwise he still needs to be in dress clothes), you can probably do whatever you want.

If all else fails, you could always ask your boss or HR about it. I'd say that you only present the options of leaving it as-is or temporarily dyeing it an insane color that you would never otherwise do. There's no sense in cutting off years of growth or going permanently brunette over some temporary staining.

lapushka
January 4th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I'd leave it alone. If it's already fading, that's a good sign. Dyeing over it... What if it does not cover it and you get horrible results?

If you could find out what product it is, it's going to be easier to find a way of getting rid of it, to find a way of dealing with it.

Fufu
January 4th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Oops I voted for dyed it, i thought it was permanent hair color.

If it's temporary, definitely wait for it, it will fade and vanish in time to come..

AnnaJamila
January 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Surya Brazil makes a good line of vegetable dyes, you could try that? I'd say call the place that did the procedure and ask them what the dye was and the best way to remove it.

claireozzy
January 4th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I voted leave it, but as everyone else suggested hot oil and wear it up, id reassess it in another month see how much it has faded then, good luck

PiroskaCicu
January 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I think it would be a good idea to let it fade with time. You can try lemon/honey rinses to try and fade the colour faster. Also try contacting the place where you had the medical procedure, they may have some advice for you.
Your hair is beautiful and I hope that you don't cut it. Try to enjoy the interesting blue hair while it lasts! :)

Delila
January 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I'm a bit baffled which bit of any medical procedure could have turned your hair intermittently blue, and why that would be medically necessary? Your hair?

Did your doctor give you any advice on what to do? (They caused the problem ... )

I'd say just let it be, and let it fade out.

Lucia2
January 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hi I'm new but am a qualified hairdresser.
Be careful of using anything that will open the cuticle on you hair (heat, alkalines etc) which could 'push' the colour further into the hair shaft. Head and Shoulders is great for stripping colour without doing too much damage.
If you can't wait it out though, without knowing what the dye is I'd be lary of using anything over it. You could try a temporary/wash in wash out colour in a warm tone (strand test!) as red cancels out blue/green but I would honestly say seek a professionals opinion.
If you could let us know what the dye is it would help.
:)

Anje
January 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Have you tried soaking it in large quantities of oil? Sometimes that pulls out hair color effectively.

If nothing else, can you find out specifically what the dye is? (Methylene blue? Trypan blue? Toluidine blue?) That might help with coming up with a removal method. Or at least will give the people wanting blue hair something fun that lasts for a while.

I'm a bit baffled which bit of any medical procedure could have turned your hair intermittently blue, and why that would be medically necessary? Your hair?
I'm guessing that the blue was applied somewhere on her head, to stain tissues to help the surgeons find what they needed to see, and it dripped down her braid. Or perhaps got spilled.

PrincessBob
January 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Pert Plus was used in my sister's time to remove unwanted or botched dye jobs. But don't rush it, you may end up doing more harm than good.

Lianna
January 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Maybe cassia could help a little, isn't permanent. Some blondes have a little greenish hue under some lights. I don't think it will make it green, green, just a little less blue. I dye my hair blonde and use a shampoo that deposits blue pigments (purple doesn't work with me) to make it less yellow and it works, your case is the reverse. Might be worth a try. Bun cages/nets sound great too!

Capybara
January 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Is only the top layer of your hair blue? If so, I think you should leave it blue :) you could do an undo and conceal the blue hair in it - a snood or bun cover seems like an excellent idea!

Good luck!

SwordWomanRiona
January 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I certainly wouldn't cut, you have lovely hair!! Because the dye is temporary, it will fade with time, so I wouldn't try anything too drastic (like cutting or permanent dye). If you don't want the blue showing, I agree with those who advised wearing your hair up. If the blue shows too much even with your hair up, you could perhaps try a semi-permanent dye, although I'm not sure how it would react with the blue dye, or how it would conceal it...But then, you could also sport your blue-striped hair until it fades, it doesn't look bad, in my opinion!:)

owlathena
January 4th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Every few months I get a hankering for a bright colored streak in my hair, and then I eventually get sick of it and dye it brown. I suggest getting a "temporary/level 2" box dye from the supermarket in a light brown. Its not usually as temporary as the box says(28 washes), but for me it lasts several months, fading enough to blend in with regrowth. It would cover up the blue as least so that it would blend in, and when the brown dye eventually fades, all the color is gone with it. HTH

Blueglass
January 4th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Could you go to a salon and get highlights? If you only do it once, and the stylist knows what their doing you didn't get much damage.

gordonse
January 4th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I want to say thank you so much for all the feedback! I've been reading through the responses and pondering what to do. I think for now I'm going to leave it alone (perhaps get a short trim) and see how it looks in another month. If I'm sick of it at that point or if things don't seem to be improving, I'll consider my coloring options at that time.
Thanks again!

Lostsoule77
January 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I had a similar problem with a temporary black that didn't end up being temporary. I consulted the best hair dresser around and he told me to try dawn.
My best friend (who is a hair dresser, just out of state) said to try laundry detergent. It works better than the dawn, but will dry hair a bit more too. She said to leave it in for 5-10 minutes and then do a deep conditioning since the detergent will dry hair. She did it in her daughters blonde hair to get a pink stripe out and it worked for her the first time. I'm still trying to get the black out, but it has faded with just one go with the laundry detergent.
I'm thinking if it works for pink and black it should work for blue. Definitely don't cut and just wear it up until it fades, no matter what option you go with. Good luck.

SlightlySoprano
January 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I'm going to second everybody who said USE OIL!! It will work.

DO NOT CUT!!! It would be silly to cut all that hair that took YEARS to grow if the color will fade in a matter of months!!

Khiwanean
January 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I have to go with xoxophelia's suggestion of bunning it an putting a cheap hairpiece over it. That should effectively hide it. I must say though, it is a very stunning blue! Rock it if you can get away with it!

You'd probably have to use chemical dyes to cover it if you chose that route, as vegetable ones would end up with unpredictable results over the blue. Though I supposed you could try to go all blue by painting dye on between the stripes. It would be such a shame to cut most of your hair off when the dye is supposed to be temporary.

jchinique
January 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Just wanted to say I hope the results of your procedure went well.

unaspenser
January 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I have heard of people using both yogurt and honey to lighten hair and remove staining or dyes. I don't know if that would work on your blue, but it certainly won't do your hair any harm...

Lianna
January 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I have heard of people using both yogurt and honey to lighten hair and remove staining or dyes. I don't know if that would work on your blue, but it certainly won't do your hair any harm...

Honey lightens natural hair too.

Xandergrammy
January 6th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I voted "other" because I would leave it alone and wear it up for work. If it was from a medical procedure, are you able to just tell the truth to anyone who asks? I know that if it happened to me, everyone at my workplace would know why my hair was blue. :gabigrin:

LissaJane
January 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I once had blue and purple in my hair which was only meant to last a week or two and it ended up lasting for over a year (until I dyed it)! On the other hand I've had dye that was done by a hair dresser which was supposed to be permanent and lasted no longer than 3 washes.

Sorry I don't have any advice (except for the fact that I think no one should ever pretend to be lady gaga hahah), just figured I'd share. Good luck, I'm sure there's loads of good advice waiting to be offered by the more experienced hair-people.