PDA

View Full Version : Caruso...worth the money?

Lassie
January 3rd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hi all,

Im toying with the idea of a caruso, and i wanted to get some recommendations and experiances.

My hair is bsl, and i have tried every curling method known to man.

My biggest issue is that no matter what method i use, the curl doe not stay more then half a day - it turns into a slight wave. (this is the same aswell with heat curling)

Is the caruso likely to give me longer lasting curls???

Curlformers are the best so far, but they are time consuming, and i am getting to the stage where i need to double up, which means i dont have enough...

Sock buns are the second most effective, but again, they dont last, and i cant get the large even curls that i long for.

Id love to hear your experiences with caruso, good, bad and ugly.

How do you use yours? how long does it take?

I'd love some pictures if anyone has any...

Also - is the this the latest model?
http://www.click4beauty.com.au/caruso-ion-steam-professional-hairsetter-l-097954979582.html

katgib
January 3rd, 2011, 02:00 AM
Funny you should post this now, I literally JUST found out what Caruso steam rollers were a second ago and was trying to find more info on them. I'd love to know people's experiences with them too, as well as where to go them!

Olivia23
January 3rd, 2011, 03:23 AM
I got mine from Sally Beauty Supply and really don't use them anymore. For me, they did not hold the curl long enough like a sock bun did, but I have thick hair so curls usually does not last long in my hair.

Jemoiselle
January 3rd, 2011, 03:26 AM
I had the best results with rag rollers before I chopped! *moment of silence for my TB hair I am growing back lol* I literally cut up a towel into wide strips, cut a slit in the middle of each strip (for my hair to go through) and rolled them damp, tying the ends of the strip once I had my hair all wound into it! Cheap, fast, no heat damage (slept in it) and it made the springiest curls I have ever seen in my entire life in my hair! They stayed all day, too, even though they loosened they still ended up tight ringlets. My hair does NOT normally hold curl of any kind, minus bun waves which it holds pretty nicely.

I know it isn't the caruso, but it worked for me anyway. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for so we can see pictures! Yay!:D

Athena's Owl
January 3rd, 2011, 04:05 AM
I've heard a lot of positive reviews of the caruso steam roller system. I would be tempted myself, but I'm positive that I have too much hair for the system.

julliams
January 3rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
Where are you Ultrabella - I know she loves this system and I'm sure will be able to advise you well.

Carolyn
January 3rd, 2011, 04:55 AM
I haven't used them for a couple of years due to sheer laziness. They worked pretty good for me. My curls lasted maybe half a day on average. It depended on if I went out in the wind or if it was a humid day. If I was going out somewhere in the evening I would set my hair and then take them out a short time before I wanted to leave. I would get an evening's worth of curl. I would set freshly washed and dried hair with no styling product. I bought my first set about 10 years ago at a Trade Secret salon and then I got another set at a Big Lots, really cheap. I'm not sure if they have them anymore. For my hair type and length, I would not expect to get more than 1/2 to 1 days worth of curl staying time.

sedonia
January 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Perhaps I'm gullible but after reading about the Caruso in several threads, I'm off to buy one this afternoon.

Rocket22
January 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I just bought one yesterday after taking the no heat challange and I like to curl my hair (I need to curl) to get my fine hair to do something and I love the system. It gave me great curls and no guilt!!!! I'm excited to learn different curl patterns etc but I totally think it is well worth the money in my opinion.

Magdalene
January 4th, 2011, 02:57 PM
bookmarking this thread for further updates. I have good results from hot rollers but would like to find something less damaging.

maus
January 4th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I have a Caruso, and I think it's ok. It doesn't hold my curls very long, just enough for an evening out, or a day at the office if I have an important meeting going on, but then I have to use *gasp* hairspray to make sure it stays through the second part of the day. But that might be my hair - the only thing that really works on holding the curl on my hair is a brand-new curling iron that gets really hot, which I got right before I found this site (haha). Not using it anymore....
Anyway, I think the Caruso is a worthwhile investment if you want to get some quick curls (faster than a sock-bun), but on me, they don't hold much longer than 3-4 hours without any product help.

kschr2004
January 4th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I got a Caruso and tried it, and the curls only lasted about an hour for me. I did get nice waves that held most of the day though.

The only thing that works and keeps curls for me all day is a very hot curling iron and a lot of hairspray. I don't do that very often at all though.

MNoelH
January 4th, 2011, 06:10 PM
UltraBella had a whole thread (and beautiful results) dedicated to the caruso system. See it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52864&highlight=caruso).

waist2011
January 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have one and then it broke after just a few uses. I returned it and got a new one and I have not used it much now/

kmouse43
January 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I have the same issue as you, no matter what method I use to curl my hair it only lasts a few hours. I bought the Caruso hoping it would do better. It does hold the curl a little longer but beforenthe day is over, its just wavy. So I use hairspray (UGH!) Needless to say I dont curl it much!

WhisperingMoon
January 4th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I also have been wondering what methods to curl my hair. The sock bun method does not work for me, and I also bought the Curlformers which do take some time, especially since my hair is so long, and i also feel it pulls my hair and I shed a lot with them. I will keep an eye on this thread for my reviews of the system, too!

Lassie
January 5th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks all....I'm so investing in one!

UltraBella
January 5th, 2011, 01:45 AM
UltraBella had a whole thread (and beautiful results) dedicated to the caruso system. See it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=52864&highlight=caruso).

Thank you for sharing my thread ! How the heck did I miss one on my favorite hair thing EVER !?!?!?

My avatar over on the left is the smallest Caruso rollers, my profile pic on my page is the jumbo rollers. There are more pics in my album and if my hair is visibly curled and I don't state that I curled it with something else, it's always the Caruso. ALWAYS. So *love* it.
It's pretty difficult to curl my hair with other methods, I have a whole whole lot of hair. This is so simple for me and I believe that anyone can use a Caruso successfully, you just have to find what works for your hair. Some people need to add a setting lotion or a styling aid that is a liquid to their water before steaming. Some people need to make sure they have gel or mouse in their hair to give some hold. And your hair must be 100% dry before using the Caruso. What works best for me is a little styling aid in my water and then once I have all the rollers on my head, I set a timer for 20 minutes. Sometimes I leave them in longer but I never take them out early. It really can take some practice first to get these right. I can make waves, spiral curls, big bouncy curls, it's awesome. I have used it on others and I have never had anyone not immediately want one. All different hair types too. I have had a lot of practice though, I got my first Caruso when I was 13. I am 34 now. This is my third unit and I have three sets of rollers.
Did I mention that I love it ?