PDA

View Full Version : I have....waves?

kschr2004
January 3rd, 2011, 12:03 AM
So lately I have been noticing that my hair seemed wavier than it used to when I am washing it. Tonight, I decided not to comb it or to put it into a towel turban the way that I normally do. And, lo and behold, I actually do have some waves:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6959&pictureid=92271

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6959&pictureid=92272

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6959&pictureid=92273

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6959&pictureid=92268

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6959&pictureid=92269

Now, admittedly, my hair is still drying at this point (the front is actually drier (and wavier) than the back), but even with it half dry, I am assuming this means I am no longer a 1a? If so, does anyone have ideas on what I should be changing the first classifier to? I'm thinking maybe a 1c?

Thanks in advance for your help!

pepperminttea
January 3rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
I'd say 1C/2A, but as your hair gets longer, who knows, sometimes you need a bit more length for the waves to appear. :)

rena
January 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM
I would agree with 1c. Looking at the front though, you seem to have some stretched out "s" waves so possibly 1c/2a maybe?

kschr2004
January 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
I'd say 1C/2A, but as your hair gets longer, who knows, sometimes you need a bit more length for the waves to appear.

Thanks! I usually find my hair gets straighter as it gets longer. But that might just be me combing the waves out, given the difference I saw tonight between combing vs. no combing.

I would agree with 1c. Looking at the front though, you seem to have some stretched out "s" waves so possibly 1c/2a maybe?

I noticed that too. I was wondering if that might be because the front is angled, and is therefore a little shorter than the back, allowing more wave. Thanks for your help! :)

Nymph
January 3rd, 2011, 03:14 AM
I also have more or less the same waves when I have washed it and don't comb it out... In my case I'm not sureif it is hairtype or some sort of damage that makes the hairs stick together and dry wavy instead of straight.

Katze
January 3rd, 2011, 03:24 AM
As an owner of mixed type hair, I often ask myself the same question. :)

Yours looks much wavier than a 1. Waves throughout the length. I would suggest at least a 2a. Does your hair act like wavy hair or more like straight hair? Does it stay smooth against your head if you brush it and put it up? Or does it get frizzy in humidity? Do the waves look different every day - is it hard to predict how your hair will look from day to day?

My hair often looks straight, especially when it is down. But I have spiral curls underneath which form tight ringlets if CO washed or after days of leave-in. My crown hair is fine and 1b, while at the nape it's more like 2b or wavier, and M texture. So I list myself as 1c/2a, though that doesn't seem completely honest.

For me, figuring out that my hair ACTS like wavy hair was a BIG help, and that is why I think of myself as a wavy, even though perhaps 40% of my hair is 1 type.

But you are wavier than me!

hth!

kschr2004
January 3rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
As an owner of mixed type hair, I often ask myself the same question. :)

Yours looks much wavier than a 1. Waves throughout the length. I would suggest at least a 2a. Does your hair act like wavy hair or more like straight hair? Does it stay smooth against your head if you brush it and put it up? Or does it get frizzy in humidity? Do the waves look different every day - is it hard to predict how your hair will look from day to day?

My hair often looks straight, especially when it is down. But I have spiral curls underneath which form tight ringlets if CO washed or after days of leave-in. My crown hair is fine and 1b, while at the nape it's more like 2b or wavier, and M texture. So I list myself as 1c/2a, though that doesn't seem completely honest.

For me, figuring out that my hair ACTS like wavy hair was a BIG help, and that is why I think of myself as a wavy, even though perhaps 40% of my hair is 1 type.

But you are wavier than me!

hth!

Thanks for the info. I noticed that I actually have a lot of S waves underneath my canopy that is somewhat hidden, even in the pictures that I posted.

I also notice that my hair sometimes gets frizzy when I wear it down without blowdrying, so when I have worn it down I have typically blowdried it straight. In fact, I think I almost always combed and blowdried it straight when I was younger as well. When I wear it up I always thought that the waves I got afterward came just from that. But maybe it's a combo of natural waves and bun waves after all!

(I will say that when I used to wear my hair really short my hairstylist hated it because I had cowlicks (maybe curls?) popping up all over that he continually had to fight.)

This morning, my hair is a little less wavier. I am not sure if that is because it's dry or because I slept on it. I will have to try the hairtyping again in the morning sometime, when I can see what it looks like fully dried without something that might flatten it (like sleep or combing).

I think for now I will keep it at a 1c/2a, until I see how some repeated washings and dryings go. Thanks everyone for the help!

kschr2004
January 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
I also have more or less the same waves when I have washed it and don't comb it out... In my case I'm not sureif it is hairtype or some sort of damage that makes the hairs stick together and dry wavy instead of straight.

Thanks. I don't think that my hair is damaged, because I also see the waves when my hair is wet. Plus, I don't have any split ends that I can see. :)

Katze
January 3rd, 2011, 07:13 AM
I would also say look at your bangs in that picture. They also have a bit of wave, going to the left (to the right side of your face).

My hair has also gotten wavier as I have gotten older, as it has gotten longer/healthier, and after the birth of my daughter. Hair typing is really hard, especially if your hair looks radically different from day to day! I will never get an exact typing, but like I said, knowing that you are wavy (or curly, or fine- or coarse-haired) makes a difference.

kschr2004
January 3rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
I would also say look at your bangs in that picture. They also have a bit of wave, going to the left (to the right side of your face).

Yep! I always thought that was just a cowlick. Who knew? :)

I don't know that this will drastically change my routine from day to day, but it is nice knowing that I can get waves naturally sometimes if I want to, rather than having to coax my hair into them some other way. :D

kschr2004
January 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM
OK, so just an update on this. I have gone a few days drying naturally without combing my hair, and I am definitely seeing S waves throughout my hair every day. (Though some days the waves seem more pronounced than others - maybe that depends on how I wash it?)

Also, I just tried using some spray curl gel and scrunching a bit tonight to see if I could make the waves more pronounced, and, wow, that worked in about 30 seconds of scrunching.

I am thinking that I can definitely call myself a 2a now. :agape: And I always thought that I had stick straight hair!

Oz
January 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM
ooo lovely. great style too.. congratulations on your waves! go surfing!

kschr2004
January 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
ooo lovely. great style too.. congratulations on your waves! go surfing!

Thank you very much! :) I always wanted waves, so I think this is pretty cool.

sedonia
January 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Your hair looks very similar to mine and I am calling mine 1c, but I was torn between 1c and 2a.

kschr2004
January 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Your hair looks very similar to mine and I am calling mine 1c, but I was torn between 1c and 2a.

Yep, that's why I wasn't sure myself initially. But since 2a is loose S waves throughout, and I am definitely seeing that regularly, I am thinking I can call myself a 2a instead of a 1c. I guess I can always change it back later if it turns out that it's not that wavy over time. :)