PDA

View Full Version : Fresh year, fresh ends? Yes, please!

may1em
January 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
I cut somewhere between four and six inches off this morning (hard to tell because I did it two inches or less at a time). It was brushing tailbone, but now it's back in the waist-to-hip region. My hair wasn't really damaged, but the ends still feel nice and thick - and I can barely tell it used to be longer. It's basically the hair I'd dreamed of a couple years ago. There's something to be said for extending your original length goals, but I'd had enough.

Followed the two-week rule and everything - I'd been thinking about going somewhat shorter for a while and instead of waiting for my quarterly trim in December, did one in November and another in December - kind of felt that neither one made any difference, though, and I was starting to feel overwhelmed by the length instead of in awe of it.

I like the results. I can do a figure-8 again. :)

Anyone else planning on a significant trim or mini-chop to start out the New Year?

christine1989
January 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
I definalty want a substantial trim in the future but I was thinking of doing it in 6 months (depending on how bad my ends are). I'm thinking an inch and a half to two inches which will be huge for me. I'm really going to try to improve my faded ends in the coming months but I still think a good trim is in order.

InTheCity
January 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Good for you!

I did a significant trim to start the new year myself. I was really not liking my fairytale ends/taper. My braid literally tapered into a few strands.

I put it in a long ponytail and pulled down, per Faye's self trim method and trimmed probably more than 2" of length. It feels like a lot when I look at/feel my hair.

The sad part (and what makes me know I made the right choice) is that even though I cut so much length, the total amount of hair I cut was soooo puny. I mean < 1cm thick when I held the hairs together.

Happy New Year!

maus
January 3rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
I have (had?) below BSL hair and cut about an inch yesterday using Faye's method. It doesn't feel like a lot when my hair is down now, but with bunwaves it seems to make a big difference. To me it feels like I have short hair, but it feels sooooo nice! I can't stop touching it :)

jasper
January 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I gave myself a Faye's trim of about an inch for the new year, but it should have been more if I really wanted fresh ends. I still have enough taper that the last inch is not involving all that many of my ends.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Probably. I'm going to sunny Bonaire for snorkeling in Feb/March and expect to have trashed ends, which will be cut off when I get back to Washington.

trillcat
January 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
I should, I really should cut off about 4 inches.
My hair is at a length now where I think fairy tale ends start to look pretty, and mine is looking like that, but they are not really fairy tale ends so much as damaged hair that takes a lot of product to get looking good and at waist if it takes this much fight to get them to behave and not go all frizzy, is it worth it and what will it look like as it gets even longer? *sigh*
I am trying to save them, but I do get the feeling I am putting off the inevitable.
Heck my album pics are out of date and THOSE ends look bad! :(
I should just do it, I should! But I tear up thinking about loosing almost a years worth of length and I am just not ready yet.

EtherealOde
January 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
I cut a couple of inches off in December, after cutting another inch off in September. It feels good though, as the vast majority of the bleaching damage I did to my hair is now gone. And I do love the soft feel of fresh ends. :) Another couple of inches to go I think, though it is hard to tell anymore. The last damaged bit that remains isn't the worst part, so I think I can get by with tiny trims from now on.

megpeg
January 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Nothing too major. I need to take off just the ends, noticing some splits, but need to pick up a good pair of scissors first.

I've got layers higher up that really need help but I'm trying to grow them a little first. I will probably be trying Faye's method for my first trim to begin shaping.

may1em
January 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
I wore it in a ponytail today and it didn't drive me nuts. :) Super sweet!

DBF was saying that it's been looking "wider" towards the bottom, which I guess means all my layers have finally grown out and I'm not getting much breakage anymore.

Spidermom - that trip sounds AWESOME.
Megpeg - Feye's method is a great way to get into self-trimming. I haven't had someone else trim my hair in almost three years - I've done it all myself and it looks great! You get much better with practice, too.

Jessica Trapp
January 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
My husband cut a couple inches off of mine on my birthday (Dec 22.) I miss the length but like the way the fresh ends feel.

trillcat
January 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
You are all making me want to cut! (Hair)
Oh gosh I cant do it, I cant, do it!
I am crying really crying now, itsn't that a weird thing?

Anywhere
January 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Well. In February I'm going to cut off 1-2". Not a huge chop but eh. It'll be a big enough change for me. Hopefully it will thicken up my hemline a bit, a 1" chop would leave my ends almost 5x thicker than they are now. (I have puny ends with layers.. )

jaine
January 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
I had a professional trim last week and I love it!! My hair feels so much thicker and more proportionately shaped. She cut 1.5" in the back and a barely noticeable amount in the front.

mellie89
January 3rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
I should really get my hair trimmed by a pro one of these days. When I got my hair cut last July, the hairdresser gave me some really choppy layers. It makes my hair look really anemic, since it's already on the thin side. (For some reason, you can't see my wonky layers in my siggy pic.) So I desperately need about two inches off the bottom and to get my layers cleaned up.

I know who I would go to, and she always does a fantastic job on my hair. I really think I need to suck it up and just go... I'd be a lot happier with my hair, even if it puts me back a couple inches. :(

Jenn of Pence
January 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm also thinking of a very small trim to see if it helps with tangles. I know I will need the ends off sooner or later...hoping later. ;) But they are still looking pretty good, all things considered. Maybe a small trim and more S&D?

I've never self-trimmed before, but now might be a good time to try. Hard to pay full price for a dusting, especially if a dusting turns into two or three inches!

Kyla
January 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
I got about 3-4 inches cut off about two weeks ago. Having less split ends was wonderful, until I realized that they were still there! Just less noticeable! So about five minutes ago I cut off another half inch :/ I've done dusting before, but the was my first "trim".
Oh, and when I went to the stylist to get it cut, she made me stand to have it trimmed! I was only waist, so I was quite surprised, as no one has ever needed to do this before...
I love the idea of having fresh ends for a new year :)

rapunzhell13
January 3rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
I got my hair trimmed shortly before Christmas and was surprised at how much better it felt. It wasn't much hair off, but it looks like a proper style now (not just a "grow out") and the ends feel so good. :)

Eolan
January 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I got my hair cut yesterday. It was VERY thin at the ends, especially in the front. It's hard to say how much my hair dresser cut off, but I think around 3 inches all around and like 6 inches in the front, where I now have some face framing layers. My hair feels and looks so good now! The ends are so thick, I can't stop touching it. A good way to start the year, I think. Let's see how it grows from now on!

Monsterkitti
January 4th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I had about 2" taken off just before Chrsitmas, the ends feels fuller and less tangley. Ive also almost got the last big layer out of my hair :D

Avital88
January 4th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I really should too! But i'm gonna wait untill the full moon trim on feb 18 and probably get rid of a full inch of thin ends.
I love fresh ends and because this will be my no heat year plus henna appliances my hair will get so much nicer!

mustpannkook
January 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I cut about 1 ½ inch off today. The ends feel so smooth!

Avital88
January 4th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Now i so want to have fresh ends grrr haha

Avital88
January 4th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Whaaaaaa i just gave myself a trim!!! haha i just had to do it, now i can grow freshly to hip.
I took off an inch and the ends are soo much better now, but it also feels like i lost a lot of hair.
My whole hair looks 10 times beter just by taking of 1 inch.I bet its grwoing faster from now on because the scraggy ends were just flipping in all the time so it either broke or the lenght wasnt noticable