PDA

View Full Version : Haircut for a weird looking wavy??

Waveepagee
January 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hi :)
I'm getting my hair cut Tuesday. But I don't know what I'm going to do! What can I do to help my waves? When I let them airdry there so funny looking and FRIZZY and not wearable! They are flat and the top is way too straight until halfway. And its dull!! My hair is such an ugly mud brown color. It takes four hours (i counted!) for my hair to dry so I can't wash and go like I'd like to. I shower at night and the waves fall flat when I sleep. I had layers but they've grown out, and my hair is midback length. I've already got my heart set on highlights to make the waves stand out and to change my color, but could any of my fellow wavies suggest a cut to help me enhance my waves and milk them for what they're worth? I'm not into straight hair, I'd love to wear my long waves, but how do I tame them.:confused:
Thanks for the help and happy 2011 :D

prosperina
January 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
I've been wondering the same thing lately. I've also been contemplating more layers, but I know I'd regret it!

lapushka
January 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
You're MBL at 22 inches?

I don't think there's a cut that's flattering for a wavy. Only lots of length and longer layers help unless you're prepared to style it for at least an hour daily.

pepperminttea
January 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
You're MBL at 22 inches?

I don't think there's a cut that's flattering for a wavy. Only lots of length and longer layers help unless you're prepared to style it for at least an hour daily.

Ditto. I needed the weight of some length before my waves started even remotely behaving, and I'm only a 2A, so I'm in awe of how proper wavies manage.

MandaMom2Three
January 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I have tried and tried to find a cut that looked nice with my wavy hair, gave up, long is best for me :D

Waveepagee
January 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I think layers help me to keep it thinner so Im contemplating even more layers like maybe up to my ear.

Oh and my hair was like bsl when I joined lhc, it definitely grown alot since then :)

cataphract
January 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
My hair seems to behave better if on wash day I let it dry loose while sleeping overnight. I have supreme difficulty leaving it alone enough to keep most of it's shape if it's drying while I'm conscious.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
I couldn't find any pictures of your hair. Going by what you say, I don't think a cut with a lot of layers is going to make you happy. Wavy hair tends to POOF! when it doesn't have length on it. Maybe go for a trim at the bottom with long layers. Taming frizz requires finding the right products. My hair tended to do best at shorter lengths when I combed conditioner through in the shower, squeezed the excess water out, then finger-combed aloe vera gel or styling gel through my length, followed by spreading a small amount of gel between my palms, then smoothing my palms over the surface. Then I didn't touch it until I was ready to put it up.

If you blow-dry, direct the warm (not hot) air pointing down the hair from the top, never from under pointing up. Since your hair takes so long to dry on its own, it might be worth spending a few minutes with the blow dryer, taking it from wet to damp, then finger-comb some gel through. It should dry pretty quickly from that point.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
I think layers help me to keep it thinner so Im contemplating even more layers like maybe up to my ear.

I don't know, sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen, but it's your hair not mine. :)

Oh and my hair was like bsl when I joined lhc, it definitely grown alot since then :)

Your join date = Dec 2010. So it's grown from BSL to MBL in a month? And it's 22 inches or thereabouts. Color me confused. :confused:

Waveepagee
January 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
Your join date = Dec 2010. So it's grown from BSL to MBL in a month? And it's 22 inches or thereabouts. Color me confused. :confused:

Your right I probably measured wrong. Haha maths not my forte!

Hey everybody thanks for your help! I'm going to have a long talk with my stylist about my crazy mane. More than anything I just need to learn to love it. But thanks y'all I really appreciate it :D

squintinschool
January 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Have you tried plopping before bed for a bit? That's what I do. I wash my hair in the evening since it takes at least 6h to fully dry. When getting out of the shower I lean over the tub while toweling off, to let as much water drip out of my hair drip out as possible (I never towel off or squeeze my hair when wet, because it totally destroys my waves, same with twisting it up in a towel - to get good waves I need it to keep the chunks that happen when wet in place).

To plop I lay out an old T-shirt on my bed, fold the bottom half almost to the armpits, and then lower my hair and then head to just above the fold, and then bring the edges (sides of the shirt) shut around my head, then fold the top (neck/shoulders) over to the nape of my neck, and then tie off using the sleeves in the front of my head. And leave it like that till I go to bed (at which point my hair is still damp) and then wake up with more controlled waves. I sometimes put gel (Garnier Fructis Curl and Shine - no cones I think) in before plopping, or in the morning if my frizzies are out of control.

As for cuts, I have long layers (see my length album) that go from about shoulder to APL. It took me a long time to find a stylist that did good work with my hair. I finally found Lida in a cheapy haircut place, but she does a great job! One thing to look for is someone with similar hair texture to you - she has hair much like mine, and I think that helps immensely in getting a good cut when you are a wavy who doesn't want to have to straighten her hair all the time. For me a fringe is a definite no go, as I have thick hair and a cowlick, so I keep far far away from any short hair, especially since I can't stand having stuff fall in my face.

HTH!:flower: