PDA

View Full Version : Fighting the urge to cut... and some progress pics

LisaMonster
January 2nd, 2011, 09:14 AM
So... it's still relatively short, but my hair is currently the longest it's ever been.

My goal right now is waist length, but I'm kind of thinking that'll turn into hip once I get there.

I've been taking good care of my hair, don't have splits, ends are healthy. The plan was to trim in March, but for some reason I'm having a major urge to cut RIGHT NOW.

I cut to chin in August 2008
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj296/MonaLisaMonster/hair.jpg?t=1293984227

Then maintained at shoulder once I got there
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj296/MonaLisaMonster/103_0502.jpg?t=1293984636

Decided to start letting it grow June 2009
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6560&pictureid=87303

So here's where I am now...

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj296/MonaLisaMonster/hairsidebyside.jpg?t=1293984814

Someone talk me into not cutting please!! I know I don't want to, but it's like eating a piece of pizza when trying to lose weight... I know it won't help me reach my goal, but... mmmm cheeeeese.

Nymph
January 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
Why would you want to cut? Your hair is healthy, it's growing steadily... What are your reasons? Look into that and see if they are valid. Is it because you are tired of the same hairdo, or because it gets in the way, or...? Some of those can be remediated.

Vorvolaka
January 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure I can talk you into not cutting because I'm currently thinking about doing to the same to my own. But the awkward length feeling will pass!

Anywhere
January 2nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Do. not. cut. please. Your hair is so long and thick right now. :flower:

If you're bored with it, try new updos or search for new hair toys.

ooor. If you feel you won't go overboard, try doing a super super small micro trim. When I get the urge to cut I usually cut off 1-5mm of hair just so I can get that "I NEED to cut" urge out of my system, if only for a little while.

mrs_coffee
January 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hold off for a week and see how you feel then. I understand the urge to cut because I get it all the time, but your hair is really beautiful and I'd hate to see you regret it.

curlymarcia
January 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Don't cut it, your hair looks so healthy and your hemline seems great. So why do you want to cut? If you are boring looking the same, change hairstyle, color, etc, etc.

JuneBride
January 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
WOW, your hair is sooooo nice!!!
If I were you, I would get a small 1" trim and continue growing!!!
You are so pretty and your hair makes you even more beautiful then you already are!!!!
What is your routine!?? How did you get so much fast growth!!

LisaMonster
January 2nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone :)

I guess I don't really have a reason to cut? It just feels natural that I would at this point. And yeah, I guess I am getting an itch for something different. I frequent some vintage blogs, and I love all the cute little short hair styles.

JuneBride- I oil and CO followed with an ACV rinse like twice a week, or whenever I'm feeling grimey.

GuardGirl
January 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have to second the opinion that you should figure out what it is that is causing your 'gotta cut urge' before you actually do. I have a really bad problem with this myself. I cut my hair when I'm upset sometimes. Is it emotionally related, or do you just want a different look?

spidermom
January 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
You are not far from your goal of waist length. Reach that goal before you do anything more than a teeny-tiny trim. If you are like me, you will be mad at yourself if you give up before you reach your goal.

Anywhere
January 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
...And yeah, I guess I am getting an itch for something different. I frequent some vintage blogs, and I love all the cute little short hair styles.

This (http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/style-index/) site has some pretty cool hairstyles, a good portion of them looking quite vintage. I can't recall who posted the link originally but it was in the "Belle from Beauty and the Beast" hair thread.

Just looked it up, it was turquoisebud who posted the link. I like a lot of the styles there. Maybe you would too, try some out and see if it craves your need for change? :shrug:

silverjen
January 2nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Oh boy, do I understand this impulse. For me the desire to chop doesn't necessarily have an external cause. I'll see a cute, short cut on someone and wham! There it is, the itch to grab the scissors. It's not the least bit rational, and it can be strong.

The things that seem to work for me are reminding myself that I will deeply regret the chop; and that the cute, short cut looks great on that model or actress, but not necessarily on me. And, this seems odd, but distracting myself with a lotion or perfume with a scent I adore helps a lot!

Lisa, you are so close to your goal, I think you'd especially regret a cut at this point. Stay strong!

Edited to add: You have very pretty hair!

LisaMonster
January 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Thank you so much, everyone. It didn't take very much to talk me out of it, haha.

Definitely waiting for waist. Then I guess we'll just see. :)

susiemw
January 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Look at the progress you've made! You've done a great job.

Now, why do you want to trim? you said you don't have any split ends and didn't mention any other problems. The only reason to cut your hair is if you want it shorter: do you??
because that's what's going to happen.

It looks great. I would avoid any trims that you don't drastically need.

susan

susiemw
January 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM

I guess I don't really have a reason to cut? It just feels natural that I would at this point. And yeah, I guess I am getting an itch for something different. I frequent some vintage blogs, and I love all the cute little short hair styles.

Oh yes, that desire for something different gets us all.
Let me recommend you stop perusing the vintage blogs and
start looking at long hair styles and try learning a few new ones.
and find a few that your hair isn't long enough for yet.... it'll give you something to aim for!

your hair is doing great and so are you!

x0h_bother
January 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Amazing growth, you have a great hemline, I don't see a need to cut though you may feel one!

DecafJane
January 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Your hair is so lovely! Stay away from the scissors!

christine1989
January 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Looking at your hair pics is so inspiring! It is so much longer and really healthy looking too. Progress like yours is definalty what keeps me inching toward waist....and the mention of pizza has inspired me to call Dominos :pizza: :yumm:.

GoddesJourney
January 2nd, 2011, 06:22 PM

JuneBride- I oil and CO followed with an ACV rinse like twice a week, or whenever I'm feeling grimey.

You also said that it's the longest it's ever been, so maybe that's why. A lot of people just trim their hair when it reaches a certain length out of habit/routine. That's fine if your goal is to maintain. Yours is not. Your goal is to grow, so that habit/routine is outdated and no longer useful. Please update accordingly. You're obviously growing quite well if you're managing that kind of increase in length without split ends or other damage. Why set back something that is working? Just saying...

Alexannee10
January 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Try the "2 weeks" trick ! It works for everything .. so when you feel like to cut your hair, wait 2 weeks, and if you haven't change your mind, just do it ;) Maybe it won't work for you, but it does for me :) good luck ♥

BrightEyes
January 2nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Your hair is so pretty! I think you should try to get to your goal length. I also have a problem of cutting when I get bored, and then I start over:rolleyes:. It is hard to get past that though. Maybe a little trim would help? Good luck!

30isthenewblack
January 2nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
I think your hair would look gorgeous at any length and I do like the short styles on you. You're so close to your goal of waist. Why don't you wait until you reach that goal as other have suggested and see how you feel then?

torrilin
January 2nd, 2011, 08:36 PM
I guess I am getting an itch for something different. I frequent some vintage blogs, and I love all the cute little short hair styles.

Can you link us to some pictures? There are probably vintage touches you can add to your everyday look to change things up but not look "costumey". And I find different people have their own idea of vintage... to my mom, vintage is 1920s or so. To me, it's 1960s and 1970s. To a lot of other people, it's 1940s or 1890s.

And well, 1920s hair is *really* different from 1970s hair! Nevermind 1890s.

LaurelSpring
January 2nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
For me, I have found that the urge to cut usually proceeds a growth spurt. I dont know why, its just something I've noticed. Just acknowledge it and let it pass. Do a dusting, give yourself an smt and think about something else for awhile until it passes.

LisaMonster
January 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Can you link us to some pictures? There are probably vintage touches you can add to your everyday look to change things up but not look "costumey". And I find different people have their own idea of vintage... to my mom, vintage is 1920s or so. To me, it's 1960s and 1970s. To a lot of other people, it's 1940s or 1890s.

And well, 1920s hair is *really* different from 1970s hair! Nevermind 1890s.

I am really in love with the way this woman wears her hair:

http://vixenvintage.blogspot.com/

I think I am going to hold off, definitely won't be chopping majorly.

Maybe I can invest in a few vintage hair accessories/hats to help out.

Quixotica
January 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
I frequent some vintage blogs, and I love all the cute little short hair styles.

Ahhh, LisaMonster - as a lover of all things vintage myself, I feel your pain!

CHECK THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Handle-Recreating-Glamorous-1950s-Hairstyles/dp/1934268720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294027019&sr=8-1) OUT!

There are TONS of lovely vintage hairstyles you can achieve with longer hair :)

torrilin
January 2nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Most of her looks are fairly 1940s inspired, but the hair is um... not. It's mostly really modern actually. At least on the first page, 95% of her 1940s look is from having a hat on! That part is certainly doable, but maybe not the best way to go about it.

I would dig into victory rolls, since they're an actual 1940s style that adapts really well to long hair, and can add a lot of visual interest to a plain bun. And since they can be done with bobby pins and hair pins, they won't necessarily be obvious as a "vintage" style, even if you're wearing modern clothes. It's the foundational technique for the gorgeous 1940s hair you see on pinup girls and a lot of other vernacular art from the war period... including airplane nose art!

Something else to think about is long hair friendly styles from the 1930s. The clothes that go with them tend to be a little more flexible for curvy figures, and the differences between the styles of 1935 and 1941 would not be screamingly obvious...

The hair forks and hair sticks beloved of so many LHC members really stick out as being not vintage. Definitely learn to work with tools that give you the mysteriously suspended hair :D. The rest is all learning your favorite period's particular embellishments.

Dragon
January 3rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
It will take longer to get to waist if you cut it and it is very health and looks nice. I think it will look good at waist length. Since you have a goal I think you should try to get there first before deciding.

serious
January 3rd, 2011, 02:43 AM
I think I am going to hold off, definitely won't be chopping majorly.

Maybe I can invest in a few vintage hair accessories/hats to help out.

I'm glad you decided not to cut!:)

I'd LOVE to see the pictures of those vintage accessories in your hair, once you get them!

Loviisa
January 3rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
Oh I recognice that lust of cutting too well. I have a bad habit doing too quick decicions conserning my hair, and then I'm regretting immediately. Now I have the same goal as you, to reach waist. please don't cut. You're also much closer to waist than what I'm.... I want to see your result!

I think with hair it's a lot going on about accepting how your hair naturally is. For example, mine are tend to split, and that's one major reason always to go and cut it. Now I try to understand, that I will never see how's waist length on me, if I don't accept my hair how it is. I can cut splitted ends but there will always be those. So...anyway better to see waist lenght with them than always dream about it.

Good luck with growing - you are so close to goal <3

LisaMonster
February 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Wanted to update that I decided to pierce my nose instead of cutting. Baha.

Mesmerise
February 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Great idea! You made the right choice :)

I have had urges to cut, especially as my hair has thinned out a lot...but...reading this forum really helps keep me on track!

Silverdragn7385
February 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Wow, I love how naturally wavy your hair is...don't cut it! :P

akuamoonmaui
February 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Are you following the two week rule for the piercing, too????

Twarg
February 4th, 2011, 09:41 PM
*laughs* 'it's like eating a piece of pizza when trying to lose weight... I know it won't help me reach my goal, but... mmmm cheeeeese.'

Man... do I ever know that one, haha.

LisaMonster
February 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Are you following the two week rule for the piercing, too????

Haha, I've been toying with the idea for like a year. I finally decided that since this is probably the only time in my life that I'm not going to be working or looking for work, I should just go for it. Much better idea than cutting! :)

Twarg
February 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hehe, is it glinting in your eye? If so, you'll forget it's there before you know it :)

Fufu
February 5th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Your hair is beautiful.

How about doing a micro trim or 1 to 3 inches trim? In this case, it's not dramatic but at least in a way it's like having your hair cut as well.

rose.grace
February 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM
If you like Vintage, think Veronica Lake (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Veronica_Lake_still.jpg). Maybe you could get some rollers and try the hairstyle you like. There are many ways to achieve it and still keep your hair long. I don't know how you are about this but for me, if I chose something else, like piercing instead of cutting it wouldn't substitute and the urge to cut would still be there. But everyone's different. Just remember why you wanted to have it long in the first place. Pretend you already cut it and how you'd feel afterward. I used to sabotage my success all the time. I still don't know why I did it, but for the most part, I've stopped doing that and am so much happier. Good luck!:flowers:

Just for fun here are a couple more pics:

VL2 (http://www.icollector.com/images/1202/18869/18869_0255_1_lg.jpg)

VL3 (http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Lake,%20Veronica/Annex/Annex%20-%20Lake,%20Veronica%20%28Ramrod%29_02.jpg)