PDA

View Full Version : Very long and layered

Lile
January 2nd, 2011, 02:58 AM
Dear All

I'm just wondering if any of you have very long layered hair and prefer it to very long blunt ends?
I have quite thick hair and used to have it to my butt almost, but it wasn't really the best style I've ever had...so now that I'm growing it back long after a very dramatical chop, I'm thinking of keeping it layered as it is now. It's much more managable this way, but I'm still looking for a layered style that is nice with very very long hair...

Do you have any photos of your long and layered hair, so that I can see what to go for?

rosek
January 2nd, 2011, 03:45 AM
Hi Lile!

I think in this photo you can see my (very long) layers the best. It was about two months after they were cut in.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5565&pictureid=72709

It just really softened up my hemline.

katha
January 2nd, 2011, 04:21 AM
That's very pretty, rosek!

ravenreed
January 2nd, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hm, I don't have a current photo up of my layers. I will see if I can get one later when my son can take a picture. The upside to layers for thick hair is that it makes the overall weight of the hair a lot less. I don't think I could manage my hair with a blunt cut since I am tender-headed and already feel like my hair is about as heavy as I can stand it. Also, personally, I think it is the most attractive hemline for loose hair, especially as it gets longer.

There are two downsides. Layers require quite a bit of trimming to keep them nice and it is harder than a blunt cut or a U -shape, especially if you are trimming your own hair. Also, braiding and updo's require more finagling to get the layers to cooperate. For instance, my braids usually have long tassels. Since I don't mind how that looks and I never braid to the very end anyway, this doesn't bug me a bit. Someone else might mind it. As for updo's, once I get into certain zones, all the layers seem to behave, but there are in between stages where I will have messy buns no matter what I do.

UltraBella
January 2nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0389.jpg

I love my layers and can't imagine enjoying my hair as much without them. Unlike Ravenreed's experience, my layers need very minimal upkeep and I have found that even after months and months without any trims my layers look nice. I do not trim them myself though. My braids do need a longer tassle but I don't braid often, so it's not a deciding factor for me. I have an issue with updos just because of how thick my hair is, so if anything my layers help with that issue.
I would cut my hair shorter and add more layers before I would grow it longer without layers. I am a dedicated fan of layers for sure :)

spidermom
January 2nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Wow - nice to see how well long layers work with two different types of hair.

ravenreed
January 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
My hair grows unevenly so I do have to trim them often or they start to look wonky. I also think that other hemlines grow out more gracefully than layers do, if you know what I mean.

I agree that some updo's are easier because of my layers, and I certainly have less heaviness because of them. Really the only problem is that I get errant bits sticking out. As I said, there are lengths where this is more of an issue, like at waist, it was crazy. I believe someone referred to it on the boards as a "hair critter." Now I only have one piece that takes an extra pin and the layers are otherwise well behaved. Except for flipped buns. I have been experimenting with them and I have to say, my layers do not play nicely with the flipped buns at all. :rolleyes:

I would also go shorter and keep my layers rather than grow longer without them. I am biased however, because I really don't care for unlayered hemlines much at all. However, for someone who has a hair goal of extremely long length where the hair will be up most of the time, it makes sense to go for an unlayered style even if they prefer the layered look otherwise. For most people it seems unlayered hair is easier to wear up on a regular basis.

I was just trying to give a balanced view of the pros and cons of layers. It seems people either love them or hate them.

snip...
I love my layers and can't imagine enjoying my hair as much without them. Unlike Ravenreed's experience, my layers need very minimal upkeep and I have found that even after months and months without any trims my layers look nice. I do not trim them myself though. My braids do need a longer tassle but I don't braid often, so it's not a deciding factor for me. I have an issue with updos just because of how thick my hair is, so if anything my layers help with that issue.
I would cut my hair shorter and add more layers before I would grow it longer without layers. I am a dedicated fan of layers for sure :)

DMARTINEZ
January 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Both you gals have gorgeous layered hair! I have mine layered but not that long yet! ;) But I plan on keeping it long and layered!

Deb

rosieex3
January 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I just cut off some of my long layered hair last night (to about just brushing waist length) to actually get rid of some layers but here is what mine looked like :)

http://i54.tinypic.com/dy33l.png

Pretty much where you can start to see through to my sweater, are where the layers start.

I think long layered hair is very prettty, a matter of fact I usually love long hair best when it's layered, but I want mine to be all one length because the ends will be a lot thicker and I think my hair has enough texture to pull it off.

ericthegreat
January 2nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
I love long, layered cuts as well. When cut just right, a long layered cut can give a much more interesting hemline than a simple one-length cut would give. Lile, from what you have described I would suggest to you that if you do go for a new haircut, that you ask to keep your length the same or not cut too much off the length, and then only cut in some longer layers in the back. That way you can have your layers but still keep your hair longer.

x0h_bother
January 2nd, 2011, 01:26 PM
:thudpile::bowtome::thud:

UltraBella
January 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
:thudpile::bowtome::thud:

Are you going to be okay ??! Lol !!

Avvoltoio
January 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
My hair is not very long but layered naturally, cause i started to grow from very short hair, and on the back of my head my hair grow faster

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6530&pictureid=91790

I would like blunt ends but, i think a bit layered waist length is better for me than mbl :)

On others i also love layered long hair, as blunt hair :)

Highpony
January 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0389.jpg

U have pretty hair!

UltraBella
January 2nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Thank you, Highpony !

fleurinc
January 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
gorgeous hair UltraBella! My hair isn't super thick (more medium with some waves) so I think as I continue to grow layers will be a must so it doesn't begin to look to thin. I'm not cutting (S&D only until summer!) so we'll see what happens.

aggie_deirde
January 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
I like hair that is layered only in the front and very long ones,like fron neck down,just because it's easier to put the hair in an up-do.I hate sticking out hair!

bettylibertine
January 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Personally, I've always adored layers and have had them since I was about eleven. I think they just look best on me :)

JuneBride
January 2nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
I don't have very long hair, but it is layered and I love it that way!!
You can see on my profile all my pictures...

LaurelSpring
January 2nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
I think that hair type plays a very important role in whether you love or hate your layers and when looking at pics, its a good idea to see which hair type is similar to your own and how that works with layers. It might even be good to refine your thread title to long and layered on a particular type of hair!

It looks like your type is similar to mine and what I would say in my experience with my hair is that layers worked great for me at bsl or shorter when I was shampooing, blowdrying and curling my hair every day. Once past bsl, layers just made my hair look stringy and thin. It was more difficult to get good braids and updos. I am still growing out layers from a cut 2 years ago.

Of course, you dont know until you try it and sometimes you just have to give it a go to know for sure one way or the other.

tinywife
January 2nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
I'm trying to make this decision too! My hair isn't very thick, so I'm afraid the layers will just hang and make it look dead on the bottom. I do love thick layered hair, though. Of course, I'm about two feet from having to make a decision about how to wear long hair!

UltraBella
January 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm trying to make this decision too! My hair isn't very thick, so I'm afraid the layers will just hang and make it look dead on the bottom. I do love thick layered hair, though. Of course, I'm about two feet from having to make a decision about how to wear long hair!
It can get very difficult for thin hair to be long and layered. It can end up looking "see-through" and have a very whispy hemline. I guess it depends on what your goal length is, if it is quite long then layers will be something you have to contemplate very seriously before cutting them. Good luck !

lupiae
January 3rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
I really like the picture UltraBella posted. The layered cut is definitely appropriate for those hair. I think that this kind of "soft" layering give a fantastic shape to the long hair (mostly if the hair is wavy)