PDA

View Full Version : Braid tassel protection?

estherbeth
January 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM
Do any of you do anything to protect your braid tassels when you're just around the house/in a sleep braid?

I've worried about the ends of my hair because I keep it in a braid so often when I don't have anywhere to go. I know it's probably just that my hair is growing, so the fairytale ends are slowly getting thinner, but I still feel a wee bit paranoid about it. About a week ago, I started oiling the tassle just shy of dripping with olive oil, then rolling it up in a little piece of fabric like I'm making a rag curl, and leaving it like that until I actually go somewhere. Silly? Not silly? The ends of my hair are softer than ever, anyway. :laugh:

Madora
January 1st, 2011, 09:35 PM
I braid my hair 3/4ths of the way down then coil it in a bun on top of my head. The remaining unbraided hair is not confined but merely wound under the braid already in place, then the entire bun is held in place by 6 3 inch crimped hairpins.

Anje
January 1st, 2011, 09:46 PM
I've considered it, but I hadn't really tried anything yet. Right now, protecting my braid tassel tends to involve keeping the braid over my shoulder and remembering not to dangle it over the back of the couch. (One of my cats has discovered how fun hair hanging over the couch can be!)

ibleedlipstick
January 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
Not really, I just make sure that I don't crush my braid against the back of the chair/couch, and try to throw it over the edge of my pillow or bun it at the top of my head at night.

I'm less afraid of the tassel damage than I am of the friction damage from rolling over on top of it multiple times at night.

McFearless
January 2nd, 2011, 01:09 AM
Someone on this board- I can't remember who- mentioned making a little silk pocket for her ends tied with an elastic on top. I thought it was a great idea but have yet to try it out.

Avital88
January 2nd, 2011, 02:48 AM
I so need to buy a silk cap too for my ends, its like they are getting thinner daily:S

BelleBot
January 2nd, 2011, 04:35 AM
I do the same as you. Bit of sweet almond oil on the ends then roll them up in ribbon to protect them. I like using ribbon as I can go out with it in as it looks pretty. Plus when I take my hair out the ends are super soft and in cute ringlets. :)

rosek
January 2nd, 2011, 04:47 AM
BelleBot, that sounds like a really good idea, but I'm haveing trouble visualising what youre talking about. Could you post a picture/diagram?

shikara
January 2nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
What works for me is wrapping the ends a couple times over my thumb then securing that circle with a quality bobby pin or two. Somehow they manage to stay in, even throughout the night.

skaempfer
January 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM
BelleBot, that sounds like a really good idea, but I'm haveing trouble visualising what youre talking about. Could you post a picture/diagram?

Yeah, ditto; sounds like a good solution, but I can't picture it!

morecowbell
January 3rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Great thread, OP! :) I've been looking for some suggestions on this topic, too. I don't braid very often because I have layers, but when I do, I make a deep treatment out of it. I leave a long (3-4") tassel and soak my ends in something good (shea butter, oils, conditioner, SMT etc). Then I put a plastic baggy over the ends and secure with another elastic. If I'm feeling like a really deep treatment I'll shoot the tassel with my blowfryer to really heat it up. I can sleep with that on but I don't usually because the plastic makes really annoying sounds lol. :)

reverie24
January 3rd, 2011, 11:02 AM
I'm curious too. My ends are pretty broken/split but I'm waiting for more length before I trim. I braid my hair a lot and can't help but always touch the ends, but I'm trying to stop that! I usually put a ton of coconut oil on the ends, but I don't feel like that's enough protection.

Xandergrammy
January 3rd, 2011, 11:06 AM
I do the same as you. Bit of sweet almond oil on the ends then roll them up in ribbon to protect them. I like using ribbon as I can go out with it in as it looks pretty. Plus when I take my hair out the ends are super soft and in cute ringlets. :)

I love this idea. I think I'll try it!

Veer666
January 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I braid my hair almost every day (or at least for the night).
When I think my ends need protection I put in some leave-in conditioner (Yes to cucumbers)