PDA

View Full Version : Mulan

Kaya
January 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
I adore the Disney movie Mulan and watched it last night to ring in the new year. :D
Anyways, I was intrigued about the hair styles. Has anyone been able to create the look of Mulan's topknot? Either the one created when she goes to see the matchmaker, or the one she wears after cutting her hair. Heck, even the one that Shang wears looks really nice. :)
I've actually worn a half-up topknot for a cosplay, tied with a satin ribbon. The loose hair from the knot simply blended with the rest of the undone hair. I was hoping there might be a trick to getting all of one's hair into a topknot and hiding the tail somehow.
I know, totally random topic compared to all my other postings, but this is the only place I can discuss cartoon hair styles and not be considered completely insane! :hollie:

Juneii
January 1st, 2011, 03:00 PM
you mean the floppy loop thing that she wore at the beginning before cutting her hair? I think it's just a high ponytail with the length pulled through the last loop halfway and then the base is tied with a ribbon...
of course this is an animation so things tend to defy gravity a bit especially hair XD

firefly42
January 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM
my favorite part of mulan is before she cuts her hair it tends to change lengths from about bsl to past waist depending on what angle she's drawn at...lol.

ghilliegirl_an
January 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM
What I would do is put the front half of your hair in a top knot like you did before and then wrap the end around the knot and pin, then take the bottom half of your hair, part into two sections and pull them up and wrap around the top knot and pin also, after this is done you can just wrap a ribbon around the base to cover up the wrapped hair. Oddly enough this is how I do my hair under my dance wig(I'm an Irish dancer) and it always reminds me of the chinese top knots. Hopefully you can play with that idea and get it to work for you :)

-Ashley

joiekimochi
January 2nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
I love Mulan too!